By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Call Of Duty : World At War (COD5) KILLED Resistance 2 Sales!!

I had said this many weeks ago & now reality is coming knocking up our doors.

Call Of Duty : World At War has managed to cross 1 Million on the Ps3 in a matter of 2 weeks....almost making it within the first week...

it ranks as I believe the 3rd or 4th biggest launch of a Ps3 game ever....right behind MGS4.

A week earlier Resistance 2 is launched and comes out to comparatively mediocre sales.

Now in UK....Resistance 2 in its DEBUT week CHARTED BELOW COD:WAW in its 2nd week.

Also in UK -- Resistance 2 debuted to sales of 2/3 BELOw Resistance 1's week 1....this is P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C as Resistance 1's week 1 was in PS3's launch week!!

NA -- COD : WAW has managed to do in its FIRST WEEK in sales (390K) what Resistance 2 has still failed to do by its 4th week (only at 360K)

EU -- who knows what will happen here....if it follows UK's trend very worrying for Resistance 2.

So why has a sequel to a title which sold 3.6 Million not done well (Resistance wasn't bundled heavily).

Because of COD4 is my answer....COD4 led to COD becoming a mainstream monster & now people think COD = quality (which it actually may as metacritic wise COD:WAW>>R2)

Resistance 1 never had COD4 to compete against.....now COD5 has become the GTA 4 that managed to halt Saints Row 2's relative success.

_________

SONY could've never predicted Call Of Duty will negatively affect R2....well it just has.

Thank God Killzone 2 is miles away from a release of a Call Of Duty

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Once more: many British retailers don't have the game yet, that's why it's rather low. You're much like early Sony: shooting yourself in the leg.

@Zen

please.....PLEASE do not use that excuse.

we had the same with LBP....in the end LBP just gained 50K in week 1 over week 1.....n its "not being in stock" was widespread comparatively.

Using that excuse would be shooting ourselves in the leg & damage controlling.

LBP is a blazing success for SONY...Resistance 2 proved not to be

In all fairness this game was been hyped as the ps3 gears of war so you have to ask youself what did happen.

I mean cod5 didnt do gears any harm.

Not trying to troll but facts are facts.

Use that excuse not use it.. that's one of your reasons!

I have had enough of this doom and gloom fest, I'm out.

Also, didn't I mention R2 not being in stock on Amazon?

Around the Network
reask said:
In all fairness this game was been hyped as the ps3 gears of war so you have to ask youself what did happen.

GEOW 2 is a TPS....there is no comparison whatsoever.

these two games are FPS's

darthdevidem01 said:

Now in UK....Resistance 2 in its DEBUT week CHARTED BELOW COD:WAW in its 2nd week.

I thought it's the 3rd COD:WAW week isn't it ?

darthdevidem01 said:
reask said:

GEOW 2 is a TPS....there is no comparison whatsoever.

these two games are FPS's

Lets not cut straws here fps tps Sony was putting this game up against gears.

Didnt MS say they had no problem with that.

I am just pointing out the fact.

I am not saying one is better than the other as I have not played rfom but the op was about sales.

To be honest, I don't see how anyone thought this game would do 'fantastic'. It's doing well, to be sure, but the first game got 'somewhat-above-average' reviews, and likely only sold as much as it did (still not a huge amount) because it was the stand-out title of the PS3's launch.

Call of Duty was always going to do well--it's friekin' Call of Duty! XD

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."