By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo makes $6 from every Wii sold

y0ungK!d said:
KillerMan said:
So X360 cost less to manufacture? Confusing.

The Wii has BT and MS HW is old.

Forgive me if I missed it, but what is BT?

I also find it extremely hard to believe that MS can make a 360 for $200. The actual computer parts, yeah probably, but once you start adding in the case, cooling, controller (headset still?), packaging, shipping, and now games and movies (not to mention paying workers and factory expenses).... Perhaps the console itself for $200, but once you add in the goodies they surely must be losing atleast a little money.

Around the Network

WEll the article reads

But every Wii brings in $6 of operating profit for Nintendo, says David Gibson, an analyst at Macquarie Securities.

Note it says Operating Profit (the hell is that exactly?) so that may not be "real" profit.
Note it says "says David Gibson" (who the hell is that exactly?)--an analyst at Macquarie Securities (How the hell is that pronounced exactly?).

So basically some jackoff made that up on the spot because he didn't knoe the real number.
I have read/heard people say anywhere from $50 - $70 a console and that sounds about right to me.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

SmokedHostage said:
konnichiwa said:
Probably more now?

Article was released today so it should be accurate..

I question the accuracy since they got the price of both the Wii and the PS3 wrong. The figure also does not match earnings reports.

I swear I just saw an article that claimed that Nintendo cleared $100.00 per Wii console sold? I don't think the guy who wrote that article knows a thing about video games or sales number for them.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Im assuming the wii hardware costs around hmm what $30 to make? so them otion controller n packaging costs them $210-220? I dont think so...

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network

That seems hard to believe, how could they only be making that much? I would think their production costs would have dropped considerably.

~Currently Playing Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank: FTOD, and Resistance: Retribution~

arsenal009 said:

"Nintendo rocked the gaming world when it brought out the Wii gaming console three years ago by turning an entirely new demographic of users on to gaming."

Nintendo's strategy is to buy inexpensive components instead of making them in-house, allowing the Wii to sell for $260 while the PS3 costs $300.

Oh boy, this dude obviously doesn't know anything about the industry.

I noticed that as well.  The PS3 never sold for $300 and if he means it costs $300 to manufacture then the author has contradicted himself.  Seems full of speculation.

Wow, that's a pretty badly written article.