By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The problem this generation

@Bengabenga

I did not care for those games (vc) back then, I really doubt that I will care about them now.. I think there is only 2 games what I want to play. Too bad I still own the original console and those games. (Phantasy star

Around the Network

To each his own guys. Some people actually are uninterested in what the Wii offers.

Esa-Petteri said:
Galaki said:
Esa-Petteri said:
Oh crap, another nintendo-fan trying to bash better consoles. Why can't you just be happy with your wii? ;)

So... wiiware and virtual console are bad things?

Yeah! Wii is junk. It's losing to the HD consoles. It is under 50%, still, after 2 years on the market. If that's not a failure, I don't know what is.

I would not go that far, wii is not junk. I guess it is pretty ok if you happen to like nintendo-games.

By this analogy cheap chinese addidas copies are best thing ever becouse they sell much much better than orginal ones :D

Selling well doesn't make something good.

McDonald and Nintendo both prove it :D

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
Esa-Petteri said:
Galaki said:
Esa-Petteri said:
Oh crap, another nintendo-fan trying to bash better consoles. Why can't you just be happy with your wii? ;)

So... wiiware and virtual console are bad things?

Yeah! Wii is junk. It's losing to the HD consoles. It is under 50%, still, after 2 years on the market. If that's not a failure, I don't know what is.

I would not go that far, wii is not junk. I guess it is pretty ok if you happen to like nintendo-games.

By this analogy cheap chinese addidas copies are best thing ever becouse they sell much much better than orginal ones :D

Selling well doesn't make something good.

McDonald and Nintendo both prove it :D

Not that this matters, but I will add that Beverly Hills Chihuahua has made $111,885,266 worldwide.

Point 3: This entire post

So I watched the Gametrailers Bonus I I'm noticing some thing

First, the Wii HD. GOD< this annoys me. The industry has some idea there will be a Wii HD in 2011. Now, why is it that people beleive Nintendo, the compnay that is in 1st will compy the losers. Not to mention Nintendo could probably sell Wiis from 2012 or 2013 (probably longer). The NES did this. The PS1 did this. The PS2 is still doing it. So, why does everyone beleive the succesful Wii will only last until 2011 and return to what everyone else is doing.

The other thing is this console war. Really, this isn't a game of risk despite what everyone wants to think. This is a buisness. It's about money, not the number of boxes sold. Yes, the number sold is importaint, but people only look at certain veriables to determine how successful a console is. Many people will say the XBox beat the Gamecube (yes, becuase the game industry is some kind of battleground), yet Nintendo made FAR more money. The industry, of course, doesn't care about this and only sees boxes and BIG TITLES.

There is also a problem on DLC/ Everyone sees it as a major driving force. While I can agree Nexflix is importaint, I don't think DLC matters. Consumers rarely connect their boxes online, so why is it so importaint to have DLC. Microsoft and Sony fight tooth and nail for this, but if not that many people get online then why worry about it. I think it's the same industry arguing like little children. Also, the acheivments/trophies. Let me telling something about them. They say their like a score right. People didn't play games to get a high score, they played the game becuase it was fun. Score exist to keep the player inthraled. If the player doesn't like your game, then why have them. I think this is the industry, once again, looking at something and seeing it is importaint when it really isn't.. It's not to say 360/PS3 games are bad, but the industry is having many warped views. I really think they are alienating everyone. Where are those 120million PS2 owners anyway?

The most importaint thing is that the industry only sees the 360 and the PS3. Hey, the Wii is there too. Point 2 "Oh, but the Wii doesn't have good online". Ummm, hello, 24connect, Message Board, their Wi-Fi. Many people see Nintendo's system as annoying ans I can agree, but they miss the point. Nintendo does have a strong and smart online strategy. Their goal is to try and make online fun, but not annoying.Not to have 12 year olds screaming profanities at you.

But they only see the race as one for second. They ignore the Wii constantly. They dodge the subject and only talk about it in their terms (Wii HD). I think the game industry is becoming full of elitist. Point 1 They sit there and discuse the wonders of videogames as art and see gaming only in HD. They do not see it as a business and chat about downloads, big games and DLC. I think the industry has lost it's mind.

Yeah, I know the video is biased becuase it deals with online, but I think the industry needs to stop living in a box. Point 1 The industry is not about art. People buy games becuase they are fun, not becuase of the DLC, the story and HD graphics. They buy it becuase it is fun. Yet they continue to think this way despite the HD bros are struggling.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43174.html

1. This my friend is something I REALLY have a bone to pick with. Video games are an art, and should not be regarded as anything else. Yes is a business, but when we have everyone veiwing it as strictly business is when we lose all creativity in are games. This is exactly what is happening with the Wii. have fun with your 20 versions of carnival games all slapped with a different name on it. Say good bye to all your precious details in a game. When i play a game i want something visually pleasing with the eye, I want something creative original, I want to see something beautiful that either makes me feel like I'am actually in another world or that I actually am the character being played. The Day videogames are seen solely as a business is the day EA takes over and every game gets a sequal once a year with it being rehashed with little improvement. It's when games become the next madden series.

Have you ever seen Linger in the Shadows? Probably not. Have you ever played Bioshock? Any Silent Hill? What about any of the final fantasy games? Even the simple games such as mario have an artstyle. Can you imagine how people would react if mario looked like a real human all of a sudden. How many people do you think would throw a tantrum and create a petition. Just because a game looks great doesn't mean it will not play great. In fact strictly HD players will bitch about a game if it doesn't play great, while it seems to me many non HD games get a pass. I' am looking at you MOH. If you don't want to view games as an art go back to playing pong for the rest of your life.

Videogames are a work of art and the systems are their canvas.

2. The wii's online is a paltry peice of crap compared to the other two systems. It's barebones, it's usually laggy, and it has almost no hack detection software. Countless times i have played MK wii with someone hacking the dang game. Almost no voice chat, friend codes. Just because a system has wifi doesn't mean its a great system for online. Ps3 has wifi, and does 100 times better with psn.

3. To me it sounds like someone is upset his main system is being ignored. If you own all 3 more power too you. If you have just the wii.....grow up. Boo-hoo they're not talking about the wii.  You sound like the childish kid who complains he has no friends an no one likes him.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

Around the Network

First paragraph:  HD is a term many people like to throw around without really knowing what it means.  I think it is funny that people throw around HD like it is the Holy Grail and is the only thing that matters (note that PC's have had "HD" for quite a while).  Wii HD would suck unless they up the horsepower of thier console.  The reason is because the higher definition the game goes, the more apparent graphical flaws are.  You may note that not too many Xbox360 games are 1080i, probably for the same reason.  It seems that HD won't become mainstream until next generation, at which time Nintendo will probably jump on the bandwagon.

Second paragraph:  The console war has been around since Nintendo and Sega have been fighting.  People, even back then, were arguing about which console had the better graphics.  I believe that, even though Nintendo had the technically weaker consoles, they still sold more and is known as the winners of the NES and SNES generations.  Also, Sega had the more "mature" mascot Sonic the Hedgehog to compete with the fat plumber.  Also, I agree that video games are a business.  One of the reasons that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft have been around so long is because of good business practices.  The reason the dreamcast failed is because of bad business practices.

Third paragraph: DLC is big; I think the history of PC games would prove this.  Half Life was big because of DLC, and PC gamers nowadays expect it.  Having netflix on consoles sounds like a good idea.  However: 1) It is new and hasn't been fully accepted yet, 2) It is not an part of gaming like DLC is 3) a spare computer can send high definition netflix to a TV also.  Therefore, DLC is more important.

Also, trophies/achievements and the like are great if implemented properly.  People do play games to have fun.  For some people, part of that fun is the challenge.  For example, the LOZ: twilight princess would be a lot more fun if it was harder.  Also, as replay value goes, the only way to make a second playthrough interesting is to play a "no death" run (tried it, wasn't hard but I killed myself jumping in lava ) .  What would make it better is if there was an achievements such as no death, beat challenge cave twice, aquired all hearts, etc.  Then I can show my friends how good of a gamer/nerd I am.  However, I am against pointless achievements such as kill 500 [place generic enemy here].

Fourth paragraph: You say that Nintendo online is not annoying, but it is.  My limited experience tells me this: 1) I have to enter a long code to play with my friends...annoying. 2) I cannot chat with people...annoying. 3) SSBB was very laggy...annoying.  I am not a big online player, so it doesn't bother me much.  However, Nintendo should stop trying to babysit children and let the parents take over.

I agree with you that analysts and critics typically do not know what they are talking about.  Nintendo has told them what they are doing that is making them so successful, but people who are trying to take advantage of it just keep shoveling out crap.

@Soulsamurai:
1. No, videogames aren't art. They're supposed to be entertainment. Just because you like some game, doesn't make it art, it makes the game entertaining.
As far as art goes, there are artists making the games and art should be defined as a way of self-expression.
Also, you can't ignore games being business (you can try by making your own studio and try to make art. Like Dyack).

2. Wiis online extends beyond games and WiiConnect24 is maybe the most powerful feature we've seen so far on consoles. Besides, 360 doesn't even have a web browser, that alone makes Wiis online much more useful than 360:s online.

3. And the first thing mentioned was Wii...
The OP could have been put into a shorter form: stupidity annoys me, since the OP really pointed out the stupidity on different videogame sites and how they miss everything important, which contradicts their view. There's not going to be a "Wii HD", Nintendo isn't going to follow what M$ and Sony did this gen etc...

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

@Soulsamurai: I almost forgot: About the business side of things; In case you haven't noticed, companies like EA are taking over and games are getting their (half) yearly updates, which people are happily buying and calling them art. Which makes me suspect that your post was only sarcasm. Damn, noticed it too late.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I agree partially with the DLC part... and the Wii HD part... other then that nothing really :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Smashchu2 said:

So I watched the Gametrailers Bonus I I'm noticing some thing

First, the Wii HD. GOD< this annoys me. The industry has some idea there will be a Wii HD in 2011. Now, why is it that people beleive Nintendo, the compnay that is in 1st will compy the losers. Not to mention Nintendo could probably sell Wiis from 2012 or 2013 (probably longer). The NES did this. The PS1 did this. The PS2 is still doing it. So, why does everyone beleive the succesful Wii will only last until 2011 and return to what everyone else is doing.

The other thing is this console war. Really, this isn't a game of risk despite what everyone wants to think. This is a buisness. It's about money, not the number of boxes sold. Yes, the number sold is importaint, but people only look at certain veriables to determine how successful a console is. Many people will say the XBox beat the Gamecube (yes, becuase the game industry is some kind of battleground), yet Nintendo made FAR more money. The industry, of course, doesn't care about this and only sees boxes and BIG TITLES.

There is also a problem on DLC/ Everyone sees it as a major driving force. While I can agree Nexflix is importaint, I don't think DLC matters. Consumers rarely connect their boxes online, so why is it so importaint to have DLC. Microsoft and Sony fight tooth and nail for this, but if not that many people get online then why worry about it. I think it's the same industry arguing like little children. Also, the acheivments/trophies. Let me telling something about them. They say their like a score right. People didn't play games to get a high score, they played the game becuase it was fun. Score exist to keep the player inthraled. If the player doesn't like your game, then why have them. I think this is the industry, once again, looking at something and seeing it is importaint when it really isn't.. It's not to say 360/PS3 games are bad, but the industry is having many warped views. I really think they are alienating everyone. Where are those 120million PS2 owners anyway?

The most importaint thing is that the industry only sees the 360 and the PS3. Hey, the Wii is there too. "Oh, but the Wii doesn't have good online". Ummm, hello, 24connect, Message Board, their Wi-Fi. Many people see Nintendo's system as annoying ans I can agree, but they miss the point. Nintendo does have a strong and smart online strategy. Their goal is to try and make online fun, but not annoying.Not to have 12 year olds screaming profanities at you.

But they only see the race as one for second. They ignore the Wii constantly. They dodge the subject and only talk about it in their terms (Wii HD). I think the game industry is becoming full of elitist. They sit there and discuse the wonders of videogames as art and see gaming only in HD. They do not see it as a business and chat about downloads, big games and DLC. I think the industry has lost it's mind.

Yeah, I know the video is biased becuase it deals with online, but I think the industry needs to stop living in a box. The industry is not about art. People buy games becuase they are fun, not becuase of the DLC, the story and HD graphics. They buy it becuase it is fun. Yet they continue to think this way despite the HD bros are struggling.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43174.html

I disagree with a few points.

Online might not be a huge factor for most of the more casual owners but it's an important factor for the core players. 

Denying the appeal of online when there are millions of players connecting dailies to XboxLive or PSN doesn't really make sense..

You play on your Wii with friends at home, you play on your HD console online with friends ( or most of the time strangers).

Achievements/Trophies might seem lame but once you try them they actually hook you up wether you like it or not ( World of Warcraft recently added them with its latest expansion and I can tell you wether people thought it would be the case or not, they are actually a huge driving force in defining how many play WoW now...).

Yes online and achievements/trophies are not the core of games but they have become standard features that customers have come to expect.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !