By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A reason why FPSs are so successful

Mausenheimmer said:
Long time member, first time writer. Anyways, my point is that the reason you've listed could be applied to any game genre ever.

I guess it could, but FPS games seem to be the most popular right now. Most RPGs can be assumed as fiction the second you turn them on, along with platformers. However,some FPS games can be related to, because they could happen in real life, like the war games and such.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
SaviorX said:
NintendoMan said:
Worst thread I have seen in a while.

Thanks! It was either this, or an Asteroids vs Space Invaders graphics comparison thread.

So consider yourself lucky.

I guess this thread was the better choice considering the fact that Asteroid's vector graphics were clearly superior to the raster graphics used by Space Invaders :P

this idea is not even original, ive seen at least 3 or 4 versions of this, all of them basically blasting men for not growing up. wow original. On top of that they are normally followed by the argument that men are hurting our advancement as a culture, and society by pushing off marriage, and raising a family. they normally tie this in with the declining college graduate rates of men, and the men that do finish college are less likely to marry then ever before. their conclusion is men need to grow up and take it, give up what they enjoy and become adults. or adults in the view as the people writing these studies would like to see

I want to know what benefit is it to me to do any of those things?

right now out of college i own a condo, have a new car make money so i can buy most of the things i want, and travel for holidays, even overseas if i plan it right. I can date at my leisure or find one night stands if i wish.

Marriage has destroyed more lives of people i know then anything... the men are generally economically and emotional wrecks for years, the women are not the same people they once were. the children disillusioned.
and speaking of children, i know they can be wonderful (my youngest sister is 4 right now, im 24). children are a tremendous burden, economically and emotionally, lots of people are not ready to put children before themselves. why should we as a society put pressure on them too?

i could go on, but i am trying to watch some football

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Football as in soccer? I'm watchin American Football

Right now, it's Colts/Browns & Giants/Redskins. 2 Great games.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:
Football as in soccer? I'm watchin American Football

Right now, it's Colts/Browns & Giants/Redskins. 2 Great games.

grid iorn football, good one the colts/browns, great goal line stand, im a bit of a DA fan... quin is over rated ... though i feel this whole team may be broken up next year. the coach at least is gone

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network

I would argue something quite a bit different ...

How does a child (in particular a boy) envision masculinity? Often it is in the "John Wayne" Cowboys and Indians, Cops and Robbers, Army-soldiers, and Space-Marines archetype where it is good vs. evil in an ultra violent showdown. As much as some people will argue that escapist entertainment is (some how) a deep artistic expression, it is quite often just a socially acceptable way for an adult to explore their fantasies like a child does in pure imaginative play.

It should not be that surprising then that adult men enjoy returning to their childhood fantasies when playing videogames and fixate on First Person Shooters (and other games related to their childhood fantasies), or that teenage girls and adult women often enjoy games that are more similar to childhood activities they took part in (consider that The Sims and Animal Crossing are very similar to the type of play girls engage in with their doll-houses).

Or we just love violence, and the FPS genre is the one that gives us the most of it?...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

A reason why they play first person shooters so much, is because they have an inablity to do things in real life.

oh god, I hope you have your flamesuit on.

Its nice to feel superior while you play what? Braindead partygames, endless repetitive JRPGs with idiotic stories and settings? Nintendo games which play in a mushroom kingdom and look like a clown exploded in there?

FPS simply comes closest to how we see the world and some of the best games ever are from this genre. So please think before you write.

Kyros said:
A reason why they play first person shooters so much, is because they have an inablity to do things in real life.

oh god, I hope you have your flamesuit on.

Its nice to feel superior while you play what? Braindead partygames, endless repetitive JRPGs with idiotic stories and settings? Nintendo games which play in a mushroom kingdom and look like a clown exploded in there?

FPS simply comes closest to how we see the world and some of the best games ever are from this genre. So please think before you write.

Just to point out the obvious ...

First Person Shooter games (as a genre) are one of the most brain-dead genre on the market. There are exceptions to this but most first person shooters have no puzzles and are remarkably linear games where you walk around shooting stuff with little or no strategy involved.

I think I'm also going to chalk success up to being fun to play and emphasis on multiplayer, which results in high replayability.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)