By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ps3: the Dreamcast/Sega Saturn of this Generation?

let me explain: Developers dislike the ps3 a lot

I work as a freelance game tester, and I have to deal with multiplatform games a lot.

The PS3 game are just ports from the 360, and the bugs come out to play, porting is not an easy task, lot's of coding, and some gets gobbled or something. I have seen a release date pushed back more than a month because of Port problems.
Many times The PS3 Version is filled with bugs that were fixed on the 360 (I am under an NDA so that is all I can say, sorry!), and the developer, who are under pressure to release the game, give up on the pS3 build. The Dev kit for the 360 is apparently(I do not code, I test), much better than the PS3's, which is logical since Microsoft is in that business.

This is why some multiplatforms become 360 excluvice .

With the economy worsening, and Japans, being hit very hard, Sony can not keep using price cuts, though it may increase sales, it olny loses them money faster, thats not a win situation.

Also, bad consumer rep, many people think negitivly about the PS3, Recalls, Price and worst yet, confusion on what it is: Too many versions of the same product,20gig, 80 gig, 2USb,ect , I know some poor fellows who are wating for a Backwards compatibale verson to turn up in our area...

The PS3 is a good consol, dispite all of these factors, but so was the Dreamcast, fun games, too costly, not enough support...

What do YOU THE READER THINK? (please no anger, I am looking for a nice dicussion, nothing more!)

Around the Network

I disagree.

Sony for one still has plenty of 3rd party support, just lacking in 3rd party exclusivity.

Sony also has a much larger 1st, 2nd party offering than the Saturn and Dreamcast ever did.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

"Sony also has a much larger 1st, 2nd party offering than the Saturn and Dreamcast ever did."

I don't agree with the comparison, but that is simply not true.

edit: im tired..

more and more 3rd parties are using the ps3 as the leading development console and along with the ps3 kick ass 1st party development its all good in the hood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dreamcast_games

--325 official games available in its library, lager % of exclusives

as for the Saturn, well, Its just there! lol

Around the Network

The numbers correllate well with the OP's theory.

We are collecting the list of 3rd party exclusives for each platform. The work is not done yet but we can start seeing some significant trends. Follow the link to get the details.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=50914&page=1

So far we have counted:

• X360 3rd party exclusives: 58
  • PS3 3rd party exclusives: 10

These are the exclusives known to be(or have been) released from October and throughout 2009.

58:10 is a pretty striking difference between the platforms. It essentially means that the 360 will get 5 exclusives every month. Pretty significant. Some of these exclusives are pretty big titles.

Economically, 3rd parties should have all released their titles as multiplats. In theory. The reality shows that a significant number of them are skipping the PS3 on their own accord. The testimony in the OP may have a lot to do with the reason for the decision to give up on the significant market of the PS3 users.

Late edit - the number of 360 exclusives in the list was reduced to 58 (from 68 in the original version of this post) due to errors in the list.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

take away timed exclusives and the that 68:10 ratio slims down quite a bit

amirnetz said:

The numbers correllate well with the OP's theory.

We are collecting the list of 3rd party exclusives for each platform. The work is not done yet but we can start seeing some significant trends. Follow the link to get the details.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=50914&page=1

So far we have counted:

• X360 3rd party exclusives: 68
  • PS3 3rd party exclusives: 10

These are the exclusives known to be(or have been) released from October and throughout 2009.

68:10 is a pretty striking difference between the platforms. It essentially means that the 360 will get 5 exclusives every month. Pretty significant. Some of these exclusives are pretty big titles.

Economically, 3rd parties should have all released their titles as multiplats. In theory. The reality shows that a significant number of them are skipping the PS3 on their own accord. The testimony in the OP may have a lot to do with the reason for the decision to give up on the significant market of the PS3 users.

So where are these 5 3rd party exclusives a month? I don't think MS EVER released 5 exclusives in one month (after ps3 launch) even including first party.

markers said:
take away timed exclusives and the that 68:10 ratio slims down quite a bit

Add first party too.

I don't see many parralels. Was the DC a bitch to develop for?