By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Developers getting the hang of ps3: PS3 vs 360 multiplat comparison 08

FJ-Warez said:
leo-j said:
The people that are saying the 360 version of these games look better, if not the same are honestly blind.

@Deviatha

I has nothing to do with the contrast at all, previously I stated they had not used Super white/Full RGB which improves everything in a game, and it seems they were using it, since they do say they do.

I guest you are right and all of us are wrong ...

Not only that, but leo-j is simultaneously right and wrong as he has contradicted himself. A little earlier he was saying Star Wars:TFU looked horrible on the PS3.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
FJ-Warez said:
leo-j said:
The people that are saying the 360 version of these games look better, if not the same are honestly blind.

@Deviatha

I has nothing to do with the contrast at all, previously I stated they had not used Super white/Full RGB which improves everything in a game, and it seems they were using it, since they do say they do.

I guest you are right and all of us are wrong ...

Not only that, but leo-j is simultaneously right and wrong as he has contradicted himself. A little earlier he was saying Star Wars:TFU looked horrible on the PS3.

Never understimate the power of the dark fanboy side

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Yeah, I don't know who actually thought the PS3 games looked better. I actually think the PS3 ones were a little washed out, and the 360 details were crisper.

Which brings me to my next question... why the hell can developers not take advantage of the superior PS3 graphics processor? I mean, I know it takes awhile to figure out a new system and all, but geez, it's been 2 years already.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Comrade Tovya said:
Yeah, I don't know who actually thought the PS3 games looked better. I actually think the PS3 ones were a little washed out, and the 360 details were crisper.

Which brings me to my next question... why the hell can developers not take advantage of the superior PS3 graphics processor? I mean, I know it takes awhile to figure out a new system and all, but geez, it's been 2 years already.

What superior graphics processor?

The GPUs in both systems are quite standard and well understood. The only thing in the PS3 which may not be well tapped by many developers is the Cell.

It's hard to blame multi-plat developers for not tapping the Cell when even 1st-party ones are not using it the way it was originally intended to. For example, KZ2 appears to be running most of the engine on the PPE and using the SPEs for graphical stuff only.

NJ5 said:
Comrade Tovya said:

What superior graphics processor?

The GPUs in both systems are quite standard and well understood. The only thing in the PS3 which may not be well tapped by many developers is the Cell.

It's hard to blame multi-plat developers for not tapping the Cell when even 1st-party ones are not using it the way it was originally intended to. For example, KZ2 appears to be running most of the engine on the PPE and using the SPEs for graphical stuff only.

I've always been more impressed with NVIDIA graphics cards, but the ATI created for the 360 might just dispell the myth that NVIDIA is king of the roost.  Hands down, it appears to be "sharper" really.  I'm actually a little shocked by it, because (if you'll read all of my posts) I'm usually the one touting the PS3 as the superior piece of hardware.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network

OK, now I'm just confused. Are you retracting your "superior PS3 graphics processor" remark?

leo-j said:

@Deviatha

Or your crazy.... hey theres always the next round where the ps3 might win (or not).

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

NJ5 said:
OK, now I'm just confused. Are you retracting your "superior PS3 graphics processor" remark?

I originally intended to put the comment in quotations, as in a sarcastic comment about I always say.

But in the past, I generally have touted the hardware of the PS3 (graphics card and all) as superior upon spec inspection.  In other words, I was kind of mocking myself for always stating that it's superior.  Make sense?

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Oh, now it makes sense :)

CGI-Quality said:
@ Comrade

No, you were right, the PS3 all in all IS more powerful. Its just that the 360 has it's advantages that do shine in terms of anti-aliasing, (from time to time, not always) sharper textures and better resolutions. Where PS3 TRULY shines is processing speed, (pixel/triangle amount), colors, physics/animation, and (from time to time, not always) lighting. It's all on the developer bro, but the EXCLUSIVES of each console tell the ACTUAL story.

I know what you mean... I have both systems, and the biggest difference for me is the controller.  I have a serious love affair with the sixaxis controller...

I think at the end of the day, both systems have their nods here and there, but mostly the differences are small at best.

But, although my mind has been changed on the graphics card, I do think that the PS3 still wins in most other areas.

As most people have read (on what I've wrote in this forum) I just think that XBOX Live is just so friggin' awesome that it keeps me an XBOX lover.  It doesn't take away any of my affection from the PS3, it just means that I log more time on my 360 because of it's online service. 

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya