By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Declining Wii sales in Japan?

Media outlets like news. Ninty has now been dominating for long enough (with no change in the pattern), that even the slightest change in the pattern has everyone !!excited!!.

All the Wii has done is draw attention away from the DS (vrs PSP) - which never gets mentioned anymore.

(Ninty love this - the Wii is a great trojan horse, attracting all the attention/competitors - while the DS quietly breaks records and creams the competition).

Look at this headline at gamesindustry - it almost tries to invoke panic!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=27323

Sales of PS3 double in Japan
(As Wii and DS sales slow down)

No mention that sales increased purely due to a hardware/game bundle, or that the 2nd most-popular Sony software title was released. And no mention that Wii/DS sales are still above "average" for the last few weeks. 

Seriously (and off topic) - what is the chance that the Wii is the last console ever from Nintendo? We had a DS running on a monitor today at work (debug kit), and it actually looked pretty damned good. If Ninty can double the res for the next handheld, and add a TV out - who needs consoles ever again? Add digital distribution & Bluetooth (so that Wiimotes work on the DSII)...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
shams said:

Media outlets like news. Ninty has now been dominating for long enough (with no change in the pattern), that even the slightest change in the pattern has everyone !!excited!!.

All the Wii has done is draw attention away from the DS (vrs PSP) - which never gets mentioned anymore.

(Ninty love this - the Wii is a great trojan horse, attracting all the attention/competitors - while the DS quietly breaks records and creams the competition).

No mention that sales increased purely due to a hardware/game bundle, or that the 2nd most-popular Sony software title was released. And no mention that Wii/DS sales are still above "average" for the last few weeks. 

Seriously (and off topic) - what is the chance that the Wii is the last console ever from Nintendo? We had a DS running on a monitor today at work (debug kit), and it actually looked pretty damned good. If Ninty can double the res for the next handheld, and add a TV out - who needs consoles ever again? Add digital distribution & Bluetooth (so that Wiimotes work on the DSII)...

The chances of wii being the last console from nintendo is 2%, why? If the momentun drops all of the suddun and even the 360 starts out selling it WW then its the last console they will ever make hehehe but the chances of that are only 1%. I think that 64mb+333mhz ram is easily enough to brgin psp graphics to xbox level. What is MHz anyway?

mM

Trying to read the page translated by google.... it sounds like supply was increased and there were a couple massive shipments in a few days and stocks of wiis survived the weekend for many stores. Doesn't really mean much without knowing the sales numbers. Could be supply up, or demand down. Need wiis in stay in stock for a couple consecutive weeks instead of a few days to know... (or maybe we can tell if next week's numbers aren't >90K, then it's probably not supply up).

All I know, is they are still hard to find is the US... and by sales of GC vs. Wii, they will be for some time.

(Remember the tracking date on here is about a week and a half old when posted, and news article aren't... so can't go by the last week's sales).

Wii - who knows? Like others said, it's too early to know for sure if the system is finally catching up to demand since a bunch of hardware was dumped on the market lately.

PS3 - Of course the sales doubled, they were poor to begin with and then Sony released a big new game. They'll be back to normal in a couple of weeks after everybody who wants HSG gets it. What would be really shocking is if they didn't change at all.

It could also be Nintendo just overestimated Mario PArty 8 as a system seller so they shipped 100k+ units to Japan but just the usual 70k+ people bought it.

70k+ is still PS2 like. No imagine what will happen when Wii Fit and the holy Trinity hit Japan this year... almost scary.

Around the Network
shams said:

They are obviosuly Anti-Nintendo. They forgot to mention that GBA sales increased 4100%!!!!!!!!! (Up to 41 from 0).

Convenient that they left that interesting statistic out...... OR is it? 

@donwii
you cant take a percentage of 0..... if gba had sold 1 last week and 41 this week it would be up 4100%

It was just a few months ago when people, you know who you are, were pointing at itrackr numbers and claiming that Wii sales were slowing. Since then, what has happened? Pretty much more sales every month.

We should make a new term to describe this phenomenon. How about this:

Anecdotal Sales Sampling Which Includes Prejudiced Evidence

"SALES OF WII STABILIZING IN JAPAN"

Not the best headline one can think up of.

"SALES OF WII FALLING IN JAPAN"

Now thats much better, even though the truth is kind of twiste and sales figures taken out of context.

Blame it on the media and their sensational tendencies.

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

leo-j said:
68soul said:
In july, Wii has "only" sold 4 times more than PS3, when in june it was 6 times, in may 5 times, and in april... 4 times... rather than a "decline", i'd call this a very normal situation, with very steady Wii sales, and a just slightly better situation for the PS3...

It's very simple, just look at the vgchartz Japan's hardware sales graphic:

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=Japan&cons2=PS3®2=Japan&cons3=X360®3=Japan&align=1

You see that blue line? That's the Wii...

Is it falling? Even just a little bit? If you have good eyes, you have a good answer...

Are you dumb or something? That link you posted is total sales so far, ofcourse its going to be rising since they arent being returned and they are selling, its weekly sales for the past 3-4weeks its been declining in japan, here is the link

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=X360&reg3=Japan&align=1&weekly=1

Who are you to insult me?

Of course, these are the total sales so far in Japan, you morron!

And if you're not totally stupid (which would be a huge surprise, imho), you may see there how the Wii sales maintained so far... yes, even during the last 3-4 weeks, as mentionned in that GoNintendo article already posted by someone else:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=22352

Can you read that? "That nearly doubles the amount Nintendo sold in June"...

The Wii's are now a little easier to find in Japan, maybe, but it doesn't mean sales are declining, it just means Wii's are sometimes not sold day one, but day three or four, and that's all there is to say about it...

So, you're stupid, and you're the one INSULTING me? C'mon little guy, learn to think before posting, if that's possible...

Btw, if i was a "dumb" person, i wouldn't be in top 10 of the prediction league, and i wouldn't be the top predictor for the american charts this week, don't you think?

I think i know what i'm talkin' about, and these are just sales numbers published on this (excellent) site, is it THAT hard to understand?

Despite my old age, i'm still an "hardcore" gamer, and i like to predict sales, and read about consoles war and all that stuff... but consoles war is a very stupid preoccupation when stupid people like yourself get involved... now, that's a real "expertise"...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."