By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Declining Wii sales in Japan?

Anecdotal Sales Sampling Which Includes Prejudiced Evidence

Bravo!

It's amazing that Wii sales can make a giant jump in July, and headlines say sales are declining! That's unthinkable! Its just plain bad, immoral journalism.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

amazingly- in the USA i was in target this morning, there were 8 wii's in the case... i was shocked...of course when i asked, they had just put them out hr or so before hand.....

68soul said:
leo-j said:
68soul said:
In july, Wii has "only" sold 4 times more than PS3, when in june it was 6 times, in may 5 times, and in april... 4 times... rather than a "decline", i'd call this a very normal situation, with very steady Wii sales, and a just slightly better situation for the PS3...

It's very simple, just look at the vgchartz Japan's hardware sales graphic:

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=Japan&cons2=PS3®2=Japan&cons3=X360®3=Japan&align=1

You see that blue line? That's the Wii...

Is it falling? Even just a little bit? If you have good eyes, you have a good answer...

Are you dumb or something? That link you posted is total sales so far, ofcourse its going to be rising since they arent being returned and they are selling, its weekly sales for the past 3-4weeks its been declining in japan, here is the link

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=Japan&cons2=PS3®2=Japan&cons3=X360®3=Japan&align=1&weekly=1

Who are you to insult me?

Of course, these are the total sales so far in Japan, you morron!

And if you're not totally stupid (which would be a huge surprise, imho), you may see there how the Wii sales maintained so far... yes, even during the last 3-4 weeks, as mentionned in that GoNintendo article already posted by someone else:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=22352

Can you read that? "That nearly doubles the amount Nintendo sold in June"...

The Wii's are now a little easier to find in Japan, maybe, but it doesn't mean sales are declining, it just means Wii's are sometimes not sold day one, but day three or four, and that's all there is to say about it...

So, you're stupid, and you're the one INSULTING me? C'mon little guy, learn to think before posting, if that's possible...

Btw, if i was a "dumb" person, i wouldn't be in top 10 of the prediction league, and i wouldn't be the top predictor for the american charts this week, don't you think?

I think i know what i'm talkin' about, and these are just sales numbers published on this (excellent) site, is it THAT hard to understand?

Despite my old age, i'm still an "hardcore" gamer, and i like to predict sales, and read about consoles war and all that stuff... but consoles war is a very stupid preoccupation when stupid people like yourself get involved... now, that's a real "expertise"...

You fail to see the resemblence, sorry for insulting you in such a rude matter, but for the past 3 weeks it has been declining, and as you can see people all over this site are saying they are starting to see nintendo wii's in stores, but then again its just been 3 weeks , I shall wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

mM
TWRoO said:
@donwii
you cant take a percentage of 0..... if gba had sold 1 last week and 41 this week it would be up 4100%

I honestly don't believe not 1 single GBA was sold ANYWHERE in Japan during that week. Therefore, 0=1.

Anyway... I know we are both joking around.

If you are just coming in here, go up Sulla's chart before posting...

A decrease over two weeks of change, but the lowest week in july is higher than the any week in june, and in may the only week to beat it was a holiday week.

My bias is ok, I am a consumer. I don't mind open-positive-admitted bias (like console specific sites), I hate how an AOL-Time Warner Subsidiary think they are accomplishing some agenda with negative bias. If they want to make the Wii look bad they should not mention it , they are giving it more publicity.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

Anti-Wii sites... ugh. Makes me puke :D

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Its obviously supply constraints. Otherwise when Mario Party 8 released there would have been another explosion in sales for that week. It's obvious Nintendo had more shipped the week of DQS released but was unable to repeat for MP8 week. Shows supply constraints.

FishyJoe said:
It was just a few months ago when people, you know who you are, were pointing at itrackr numbers and claiming that Wii sales were slowing. Since then, what has happened? Pretty much more sales every month.

We should make a new term to describe this phenomenon. How about this:

Anecdotal Sales Sampling Which Includes Prejudiced Evidence

FishyJoe-

Here here, and to add to Erik's statement, bravo as well.

You know mates, I've had a feeling that Nintendo has a lot of desired pressure for failure thrust upon it for some time now by the traditional gaming masses. To them, for some reason, they have everything to prove. The only way I think any of this will ever fully be quiet is if Wii breaks --all-- the current records held in the industry, unless otherwise owned by previous Nintendo products. Otherwise, we will see people whining about the most obscure and miscellaneous stats that the "Wii" couldn't pull off.

Yellow journalism like this just shows to us how biased our "reporters" are when it comes to the climate of this industry, and also shows once more that sensationalism sells. 

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

OH HAI GUYS~!

Im just in time for this months "Wii demand is tanking" thread!

YAY! So whos gonna run to ebay and get prices and whos gonna run to Itracker, and finally whos gonna SWEAR they see 50 Wii's on the shelf collecting dust everyday?

eh? eh? Cmon guys you know the drill CHOP CHOP! 

ZOMG, Wii am d3ad!!111!1

I must say that's a rather poor take on journalism but considering the source, that's almost a compliment. I was however, miffed at Gamesindustry.biz biting into the highly questionable story and running with it without any context.

The rEVOLution is not being televised