By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - what brand hdtv should i buy?

I have a 42" Sony Bravia... works well.

Around the Network

Get a Sony bravia, Sony needs the money

To be honest, if you get a new sony HDTV over 32" you can't go very wrong.

If you want more detailed advice feel free to ask.

Bboid said:
Comrade Tovya said:
Don't get a 1080p 32" TV... it's pointless on anything smaller than a 40" (and really is not very noticeable difference wise until you hit 50").

I personally think Toshiba & Sony make the best in the 32" range because the refresh rates are faster and smoother... but really there are a lot of great manufacturers out there.

I have 4 HDTVs...

a 65" Sony Bravia 1080p, a 42" Vizio 720p, 40" Olevia 720p, and a 27" Toshiba 720p.

And out of those 4, the Vizio is the worst gaming TV because it trails more than the others, and the refresh rates for gaming is very unimpressive. More importantly, it depends on your budget... how much can you spend?

what series is your bravia?

Hmm, good question.  I bought it earlier this year for my home theatre.  It has a "Bravia" writen on transparent plastic in the bottom left corner, and of course "Sony" in the middle under the screen.  That's about all I know about the series, because I can't find the manual.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

kuro

kuro

kuro

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network
Comrade Tovya said:
Bboid said:
Comrade Tovya said:
Don't get a 1080p 32" TV... it's pointless on anything smaller than a 40" (and really is not very noticeable difference wise until you hit 50").

I personally think Toshiba & Sony make the best in the 32" range because the refresh rates are faster and smoother... but really there are a lot of great manufacturers out there.

I have 4 HDTVs...

a 65" Sony Bravia 1080p, a 42" Vizio 720p, 40" Olevia 720p, and a 27" Toshiba 720p.

And out of those 4, the Vizio is the worst gaming TV because it trails more than the others, and the refresh rates for gaming is very unimpressive. More importantly, it depends on your budget... how much can you spend?

Hmm, good question.  I bought it earlier this year for my home theatre.  It has a "Bravia" writen on transparent plastic in the bottom left corner, and of course "Sony" in the middle under the screen.  That's about all I know about the series, because I can't find the manual

If it has a transparant band around it and is 65", it is likely the X series, that was the top of the line model

Munkeh111 said:
Comrade Tovya said:
Bboid said:
Comrade Tovya said:

I have 4 HDTVs...

Hmm, good question.  I bought it earlier this year for my home theatre.  It has a "Bravia" writen on transparent plastic in the bottom left corner, and of course "Sony" in the middle under the screen.  That's about all I know about the series, because I can't find the manual

If it has a transparant band around it and is 65", it is likely the X series, that was the top of the line model

Yeah that's the one I think.  It is the best TV I have ever watched or owned bar none.  Funny enough the best CRTV I ever owned was a 35" Sony.  That sucker had a beautiful picture, but it was a beast to move... it weighed a ton.

I love Sony TVs.  I have to admit, while I'm not a console fanboy by anymeans, I am a Sony TV fanboy.  I've had Sony TVs my entire life.

Although, the new Toshiba TVs that were just released are pretty darn amazing.  I know Pioneer makes a great set too, but they are just too dang expensive.  Not worth the cost-to-quality difference in my opinion.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Comrade Tovya said:
Munkeh111 said:
Comrade Tovya said:
Bboid said:
Comrade Tovya said:

I have 4 HDTVs...

Yeah that's the one I think.  It is the best TV I have ever watched or owned bar none.  Funny enough the best CRTV I ever owned was a 35" Sony.  That sucker had a beautiful picture, but it was a beast to move... it weighed a ton.

I love Sony TVs.  I have to admit, while I'm not a console fanboy by anymeans, I am a Sony TV fanboy.  I've had Sony TVs my entire life.

Although, the new Toshiba TVs that were just released are pretty darn amazing.  I know Pioneer makes a great set too, but they are just too dang expensive.  Not worth the cost-to-quality difference in my opinion.

Agree with you and thats a dang nice set you have.  I have 3 40" sony's, xbr4, last years v series and the new z series.  I must say though, the cheapest one is the V series and it has one of the best SD pictures of any LCD TV out there(this is the 40v3000 which is last years model and much better than the v4100 of 2008), much better than the XBR and z series.  Blacks are better on Z series and XBR has the best overall HD picture.  Funny thing is, I don't use 120hz on the 2 TV's that have it because I actually think it horrendously kills the blacks level and in sports it doesnt help the little bit of motion blur that I see anyways.  Only game I have ever played with a motion blur issue is GTA4 when the camera angle changes abruptly and is close to the character.

I'm actually trying to get my parents to get me an HDTV, definitely Sony, but I am not sure whether to go for the V series or W series. The latter is the more expensive, but I think it is better, and it does have XMB!

Bboid said:
Comrade Tovya said:
Munkeh111 said:
Comrade Tovya said:
Bboid said:
Comrade Tovya said:

I have 4 HDTVs...

Agree with you and thats a dang nice set you have.  I have 3 40" sony's, xbr4, last years v series and the new z series.  I must say though, the cheapest one is the V series and it has one of the best SD pictures of any LCD TV out there(this is the 40v3000 which is last years model and much better than the v4100 of 2008), much better than the XBR and z series.  Blacks are better on Z series and XBR has the best overall HD picture.  Funny thing is, I don't use 120hz on the 2 TV's that have it because I actually think it horrendously kills the blacks level and in sports it doesnt help the little bit of motion blur that I see anyways.  Only game I have ever played with a motion blur issue is GTA4 when the camera angle changes abruptly and is close to the character.

Yeah, I think my Sony doesn't really impress me too much in the SD program department either.  Although, when it comes to movies, I use my PS3 to upconvert them, so they actually come out pretty nice.  But on SD Directv channels, I find myself pretty unimpressed.  But here in a few months, nearly all of the remaining SD channels will disappear anyway, so it's a mute point for me.

As for the 120hz feature, I like it, but my wife despises it... therefore, as with all spousal comprimises, she wins. LOL

I've never really had a motion blur problem except with some old SD movies.  I usually opt to turn the motion enhancer on, but keep the cinema mode off.. it seems to be a pretty good combination for me to avoid motion blur.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya