By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA4 Delay Implications

I didn't know a thing about the delay until a few minutes ago when I read about it in the local newspaper here. It's definitely going to affect sales for this holiday season, but in the end it will be a positive as it will be a better game that will be complete and hopefully few if any bugs. That said, when it releases, it will come out during a time when there will be a huge influx of great new games coming out and become yet another reason for people to jump into the next generation.

We'll just have to sit back, wait and get the game when it comes out and see exactly how this plays out and what system those who have not bought one will go to. With the release of other big PS3 games, I have a feeling that it will help out the PS3 more then it will the 360. Myself, I don't see why I'd get the 360 version even if there will be downloadable content. I'm not one of those people who will readily toss over $10 or more for new content, so the PS3 version will be more then good enough for me.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network
carlos710 said:
Zack & wiki and capcom are really happy about getting GTA out of the picture.
Yes, lol. This was their main competition. Now Zack and Wiki is set for millions of sales.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

montrealsoon said:

I don't think the autumn introduction of GTA4 would have meant lower Wii sales, so I can't see a big change there.

Maybe it wouldn't have meant lower Wii sales, but it would certainly have lowered the margin by which the Wii is going to win the holiday season.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

This screws MS much more then Sony.

Before it was 360 Halo/GTA4 vs PS3 GTA4 with lots of unknows.
Next year its 360 GTA4 vs PS3 MGS4/Killzone2/GTA4

If alot of customers are buying a console at the same time as GTA4 comes out the better choice is clearly the PS3.

Killzone3 said:

If alot of customers are buying a console at the same time as GTA4 comes out the better choice is clearly the PS3.

It takes someone like you to think this is positive for Sony. Suddenly, PS3 domination has been postponed to 2008?

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Killzone3 said:

It takes someone like you to think this is positive for Sony. Suddenly, PS3 domination has been postponed to 2008?

And it takes the likes of you to whine and cry casue some one has a differnet opinon then yours.

MSs big xmas plan was Halo3/Madden/GTA4 that was Mores big E3 presentation.   Delay means by the time of GTA4 PS3 can be cheeper, making it a more affordable choice for the MILLIONS of GTA fans.

PS3 was always gonna dominate 2008, even wii/xbox fanboys knew it.  But it was easy to say it when PS3 was strugglin and you could say it would be to late.  

It's kind of interesting to ask who's going to hurt worse...I think it will be Sony, since one more big game is being moved out of the holiday season...but like Sulla points out, the announcement is basically bad for everyone but Nintendo.

Maybe it's kind of good for a few third parties releasing games on 360/PS3 in Q4. Or does a falling tide beach all ships?

couchmonkey said:
Maybe it's kind of good for a few third parties releasing games on 360/PS3 in Q4. Or does a falling tide beach all ships?

With no GTA4

"Capital Partners believes that as much as USD 500 million in consumer spend could now be available for other blockbuster releases."

I hate to say it but I agree with Killzone3 that this is actually more damaging to the XBox 360 than the PS3 ...

Microsoft had the opportunity to have Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto 4 increasing the demand for the XBox 360 through the holiday season; there are a lot of people who normally wouldn't be interested in the XBox 360 who might have picked one up (or asked for one for christmas) simply because it has Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto 4 being released for it. By the time Grand Theft Auto 4 is released the hype from Halo 3 will have died down and people will be looking at the 'Next Big Game' which may or may not be on the XBox 360. 

This hurts Sony a lot too because durring the Holiday season (one of the few times of the year when a $500 purchase is easily made) they have no established 5 Million+ selling franchise game being released on their platform. This means that the holiday sales ranking could end up being:

1. Nintendo DS
  2. Nintendo Wii
  3. PSP
  4. XBox 360 
  5. PS2
  6. Gameboy Advance
  7. PS3

(Please note, I could easily see each system moving up or down 1 (maybe 2) spots)

Publishers will really not like it that the PS3 is the worst selling of the "Living" platforms and (potentially) dead platforms outsold it.

Killzone3 said:
NJ5 said:
Killzone3 said:

And it takes the likes of you to whine and cry casue some one has a differnet opinon then yours.

MSs big xmas plan was Halo3/Madden/GTA4 that was Mores big E3 presentation. Delay means by the time of GTA4 PS3 can be cheeper, making it a more affordable choice for the MILLIONS of GTA fans.

PS3 was always gonna dominate 2008, even wii/xbox fanboys knew it. But it was easy to say it when PS3 was strugglin and you could say it would be to late.

Sorry if you got the idea that I'm not tolerant to different opinions, it's just that your posts aren't very rational lately so I was a bit trigger happy.

Anyway, my point is that the PS3 has no big system seller for Christmas now, and as you say they already had good games in 2008. So how can it be good news that their Christmas system seller is postponed to 2008?