By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GT Invisible Walls: Wii, biggest turkey of the year.

Hmm I think they make a lot of good points except about Nintendo themselves. To think that they know more about what Nintendo is doing than Nintendo themselves is just a slap in the face. Nintendo understands the market and they know they need to support everyone. And they will. Don't worry about Nintendo... they've been doing this for over 25 years.

But their worries about 3rd parties is something pretty awful. However 2009 is looking a lot better from them. Motionplus should also help 3rd parties vastly as well.

But no need to worry about Nintendo. Yea their Q4 lineup includes 2 games but they got a lot under work and they'll support all sides. We know this so no need to worry about them.

Around the Network

Ugh! not again!

yeah yeah yeah wii is dooooooomed because IT DOESN'T HAVE GAMES! WE HAVEN'T SEEN A ZELDA IN A YEAR! OH NOES! WII SUXX!

I know is a damn lie but you don't care right?

Honestly this thread is absurd and the video...ugh..I want those 15 minutes of my life back.

I heard a lot of complaining about the Wii. OK
But when asked about what he looked forward too in 2009, he said, "Only Punchout"

After hearing that, I know I never want to visit gametrailers again. If there is only one game for the Wii that could potentially interest you that is being released in 2009, you are truly nuts.

"Buy Capcom!" Take that money and--SHUTUP!

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

""Buy Capcom!" Take that money and--SHUTUP!"

I think they were telling Nintendo to buy Capcom. But since Capcom is making money, that wouldn't be easy.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

To bring this around to sales -- if Wii owners did not buy games, why does it have an attach rate slightly higher/roughly the same as the PS3?

Now you can argue/discuss quality/type of game being bought. But that is for fanother place.

There have been several threads related to Nintendo and first-party games. Last generation and so far this generation, the First Party:Third Party ratio for the top 20 selling games in Japan has been 4:1 for Nintendo and 1:4 for Sony and Microsoft. In other words, Nintendo is expected to "carry the water" while Microsoft and Sony just float out a product. (I would imagine the numbers are similar for other regions but I ran these for another discussion).

Also, a year-by-year Wii vs. GC breakdown is at http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2586
It is a good read and shows that 2007 was so loaded that 2008 had to slow down.

Mike from Morgantown

I really wonder what it will be like when the Wii hits 50 percent market share. Has the Wii left "hardcores" behind or are "hardcores" no longer the center of the gaming universe?

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

I these people might be PS3 fanboys.

dougsdad0629 said:
What I took away from the video is that Nintendo is making a lot of money and selling a lot of hardware, but who cares? The "hardcore" users (the ones who buy a lot of software) are incredibly alienated in favor of the "casual" users (who traditionally don't buy much software). The general disinterest of Wii owners in the vast majority of 3rd party software has basically forced 3rd party publishers to put out lots of low-risk shovelware and give their better efforts to PS3 and 360. It's ironic that the hardcore gamers who kept Nintendo afloat during the N64 and GC years are the ones being cast aside in favor of people who've rarely if ever picked up a controller before now and don't know Nintendo from their rear-endo.

I did not watch the video because I'm tired of the casual vs core arguments. Nintendo is supplying core games but it's only one company. They do not develop games in every genre. Yet third parties never look at that. Instead they focus on games that Nintendo has made that were a hit with the expanded audience and try and duplicate thier success or just completely focus on the expanded audience at the expence of the core gamers on the Wii. This is why EA develops Madden All Play and My Sims rather than Madden and The Sims Wii, The Sims developed from the ground up on the Wii, or any core game on the Wii. Also, Ubisoft's core title Red Steel sold over a million units but they never followed up with another decent core title. All their other core games were rushed, unpolished, and unfinished. Then they started having success on the DS with their casual titles and decided that they would do the same for the Wii. And now they've flooded the Wii with so many shovelware titles that they've damaged their brand.

Furthermore, look at the core developers and contrast that with the gaming library of the Wii. And almost all of them have developed games targeted at the expanded audience. Some have gone completely casual and point to the success of Wii Sports, Wii play, and Wii Fit while ignoring the sales of Mario Galaxy, Smash, Metroid Prime and others.

It seems that every gaming Journalist and core gamers blame Nintendo for not having games that they want to play. Yet no one ever questions third parties as to why they are targeting the expanded audience at the expense of the core. None of these guys have the balls to call out Capcom, EA, or Ubisoft. They are given a free pass while Nintendo shoulders the blame. Until these guys have guts and stop acting like punks and lay the blame at third parties, I'm going to continue to ignore them. Their arguments are meaningless and empty.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

patjuan32 said:
dougsdad0629 said:
What I took away from the video is that Nintendo is making a lot of money and selling a lot of hardware, but who cares? The "hardcore" users (the ones who buy a lot of software) are incredibly alienated in favor of the "casual" users (who traditionally don't buy much software). The general disinterest of Wii owners in the vast majority of 3rd party software has basically forced 3rd party publishers to put out lots of low-risk shovelware and give their better efforts to PS3 and 360. It's ironic that the hardcore gamers who kept Nintendo afloat during the N64 and GC years are the ones being cast aside in favor of people who've rarely if ever picked up a controller before now and don't know Nintendo from their rear-endo.

I did not watch the video because I'm tired of the casual vs core arguments. Nintendo is supplying core games but it's only one company. They do not develop games in every genre. Yet third parties never look at that. Instead they focus on games that Nintendo has made that were a hit with the expanded audience and try and duplicate thier success or just completely focus on the expanded audience at the expence of the core gamers on the Wii. This is why EA develops Madden All Play and My Sims rather than Madden and The Sims Wii, The Sims developed from the ground up on the Wii, or any core game on the Wii. Also, Ubisoft's core title Red Steel sold over a million units but they never followed up with another decent core title. All their other core games were rushed, unpolished, and unfinished. Then they started having success on the DS with their casual titles and decided that they would do the same for the Wii. And now they've flooded the Wii with so many shovelware titles that they've damaged their brand.

Furthermore, look at the core developers and contrast that with the gaming library of the Wii. And almost all of them have developed games targeted at the expanded audience. Some have gone completely casual and point to the success of Wii Sports, Wii play, and Wii Fit while ignoring the sales of Mario Galaxy, Smash, Metroid Prime and others.

It seems that every gaming Journalist and core gamers blame Nintendo for not having games that they want to play. Yet no one ever questions third parties as to why they are targeting the expanded audience at the expense of the core. None of these guys have the balls to call out Capcom, EA, or Ubisoft. They are given a free pass while Nintendo shoulders the blame. Until these guys have guts and stop acting like punks and lay the blame at third parties, I'm going to continue to ignore them. Their arguments are meaningless and empty.

After reading your post, I must admit my frustrations are a little misdirected.  The 3rd parties themselves are responsible for the content they put out (or don't).  However, this CAN'T be a coincidence that the same thing seems to happen to every single Nintendo console the last several generations.  N64, GC and now Wii all suffer from stellar 1st party titles and limited quality 3rd party support.

EDIT:  I'd like to add that Nintendo is somewhat to blame for providing underpowered hardware to developers.  That makes it harder for them to spread their projects over all 3 platforms.  The games can be done well across the board.  Call of Duty World at War is a good example of a title that is on all 3 platforms and is done well on all 3.  However, the developer needs to be willing to put in the effort.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Why theres a debate about casual and hardcore? Cant we just get along? Even IW says this is the end of hardcore gaming and seem PS360 is the savior. LOL not exactly what they said but thats how they interpreted it...

There will be casual and there will be core gamer buying the Wii, doesnt mean either that Nintendo only profiting from the casual gamers. Far from it. Just wait till 2009 I think gametrailers will eat crow...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

If the Wii was as powerful as the PS360, we'd have the lowest selling generation yet.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."