By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 6th Generation Pokemon.?

zexen_lowe said:
SmokedHostage said:
zexen_lowe said:
I don't know if it's me or not, but every generation has been comparatively worse to the predecessor:
1st gen: Every pokemon of the 151 is unique, and awesome in some way. Excellent names also
2nd gen: Most were good, but we're starting to see some that aren't interesting
3rd gen: For every interesting pokemon (Ralts, Mudkip, Chimecho, Castform, Milotic, Vibrava, etc.) we have an equally forgettable one (Zigzagoon, Wingull, Skitty, Corphish, Poochyena, etc.) Also, the quality of names is declining
4th gen: Most pokemons are forgettable, we have stupid names like Monferno, Torterra, Chimchar, etc, and pokemons that are simply unoriginal, like Bidoof (Zigzagoon clone), Pachirisu (Pichu/Plusle clone), Infernape (Blaziken clone), etc.

I don't want to know what 5th gen is gonna bring, but seriously, with every gen the quality of the new pokemons has become worse and worse
I agree with this.  After that, you lost me.  I think the series needs to take its time, maybe a new one at 2012 and rethink the designs.  Current gen was kinda daunting.  Designs like Probopass and LickiLicky make me think that Game Freak has either become lax because they're going to sell millions anyway or that they're running out of ideas.  Also I think 2nd Generation was AS good with designs as the first generation.  Even Dunsparce was AWESOME and that had to be the worst design of 2nd generation.

Well, I agree that the 2nd gen was mostly awesome (heck, Quilava's my fav pokemon ever), and I agree that Dunsparce was the worst design, but I also though that Dunsparce was horrible. And I didn't like some others, like Ledyba, Spinarak, Miltank, etc. Still, Gold/Silver is my favourite pokemon game ever, so it doesn't matter. The real decline started with the 3rd gen (which still was a good game) and was consumated on the 4th (which wasn't a good game)

D/P are better than R/S.  At the very least, the split of special and physical made for a well-balanced meta-game, then again my guess is that you're not into competitive battling.  the main problem with D/P is that it assumes you're going to just beat the story and play more afterwards (Online battles, Online trades, Underground, EV Training).  There's more to be had if you play in this fashion but otherwise I guess it's the worst pokemon ever.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network
twilit said:

@ Zexen; Of course names like Wingull can't get ANY more creative and original then a name like Meowth, Zubat, or my personal favorite Ekans <--- repus SUPER original!!

I love the name Ekans, yes, I know, it's not original, but it sounds awesome, Zubat's great; Meowth, OK, I can concede this one. Still, if you made a list of the first 150 (or even the first 250), at most, there would be 15-20 so-so names.

If you made a list of the 3rd and 4th gen, the list of so-so to outrageously bad names would be around 30%. Unacceptable

I could go for G/S remakes, or a Rainbow version with all regions in it.
(>'.')>

Hitmonlee, I'm pretty sure, was a reference to Bruce Lee.

Mewtwo was a pretty defensible name if only because, lacking proper notation, they came as close as they could to naming a clone properly.

I have nothing else to say about the other names.

KylieDog said:
What is this about poor names and such?

Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan - I guess Hitmon(Jet)Li was too similar to use? Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee. What's the problem?

Arbok, Ekans - Yeah, amazing  They sound good

Mewtwo - oh, add 'two' on, that is creative  A clone of Mew...how could we name it??? I know, Mewclone!

Beedrill - A bee with drill things on its 'hands'...hmmm. Conceded

Ninetails - I've no idea how they actually come up with this name to be honest. IT'S NINETALES!!!!

Meowth/Persian - Really? Conceded on Meowth, what's wrong with Persian??

Psyduck - Really? A psychic duck with that name? What are the odds. It sounds cool

Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam - Where are Hocus and Pocus? Just wait till next gen of pokemons. What's wrong with those names, they're good

Krabby - No idea on origins of this name. Conceded

Horsea - That looks like a seahorse? Conceded

Uno/Dos/Tres birds - Because we cannot count them? Well, they need to hame something in common.

Anyway, probably a bunch of others that I do not recall. Pokemon have never been very creative.

But they need to relate to something, you just cannot name them Wkzryakiex and Gtyyexxceol. And I found the names in the first gen, with some exceptions, of course, to be creative enough without being totally unrelated to what they're describing

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
What is this about poor names and such?

Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan - I guess Hitmon(Jet)Li was too similar to use?

Arbok, Ekans - Yeah, amazing

Mewtwo - oh, add 'two' on, that is creative

Beedrill - A bee with drill things on its 'hands'...hmmm.

Ninetails - I've no idea how they actually come up with this name to be honest.

Meowth/Persian - Really?

Psyduck - Really? A psychic duck with that name? What are the odds.

Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam - Where are Hocus and Pocus?

Krabby - No idea on origins of this name.

Horsea - That looks like a seahorse?

Uno/Dos/Tres birds - Because we cannot count them?

Anyway, probably a bunch of others that I do not recall. Pokemon have never been very creative.

Some of these could go with your list (IMO). There's probably more.

Caterpie

Butterfree

Kakuna

Pidgey

Rattata

Raticate

Spearow

Mankey

Bellsprout

Ponyta

Seel

Lickitung

KylieDog said:
I don't really care if the names are original sounding or not, I was just making a point that they have never been original, as some people tried to make the claim the more recent games started this trend.

I've not actually played a pokemon since Red/Blue, so it may have got worse though.

I will be buying a DS with Platinum when it is released outside japan though, gonna catch me an ElectroRat, or PiKachu as some prefer to call him.

OK, now you might have a point. If you think that the R/B pokemons were bad, just take a look at this, the names of all the 4th gen pokemons. Now, which gen had better names?

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

K

L

M

P

R

S

T

U

V

W

Y

Well, you can click on anyone to see an image, type, etc, but I doubt it's worth it. By the wat, recently I noticed that there's a pokemon called Purugly. I nominate this for worst pokemon name ever

no nos! here's what pokemon company needs to do to get me back on the wagon! mmorpg for wii! ooooh yeeeah..that'd be so cool! and more the pokemon more...i donno mature kinda? more realistic~ instead of all cartoony and stuff yes?

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

I agree with lots of you saying the 1st pokemon (r,b,y) were the best by a long way. I have nothing against d/p it's just i feel the series is getting a bit stale now. It becomes harder and harder to make it original. I think Ninty should give the DS games a rest for a while until they can come up with something new and original. They should make a Wii game though. Am glad people realise the pokemon are getting worse too. Don't like many of the newer ones. My two faves got a mention though! Mewtwo and Hitmonlee! There were quite a few others on r/b/y i liked too.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!