By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's 1st party game strategy: How does it make you feel? Happy/Not?

Sony's first party stratagy makes me extreamly happy. The way things are in the industry right now all worthwhile third party games will be on all three platfroms. So the only thing that sets a console apart from the crowd are the in house efforts.

I think that SCEWWS is the best thing that has happened to gaming since the start of 3D games. This technique sharing system allows for developers inside of Sony to waste a lot less time trying to copy what others have achived, and let them focus on either advancing the tech or working on more important things all together.

Another awsome bonus to SCEWWS is that as time goes on Sony opens up more and more to the 3rd party parteners through tools like the ICE Engine, and the EDGE Tools. As we move forward in this generation all PS3 games will see the benifits of this teamwork across the development community, and really help the whole industry understand development in the Cell' parrallel processing.

Hopefully Sony will carry this knowledge into the next generation by sticking to a Cell based design in their next system.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Not happy. Why? No RPGS in that list... or anything RPG like.

"That has nothing to do with polish" you say.

However, if these games were out.. maybe they'd already be working on a dang RPG, or better yet. SRPG... or just in general more games that seem like they'd appeal to me.

Killzone is probably all i'll pick up.

Well and possibly GT5 depending how i'm feeling on needing a racer.

WKC isn't first party. Last I heard, Level 5 was still independant. It's just that Sony own the IP and funded the project like MS did with IU.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Godot said:
WKC isn't first party. Last I heard, Level 5 was still independant. It's just that Sony own the IP and funded the project like MS did with IU.

It's not quite the same as IU.  IU was published by SE, and I'm pretty sure Microsoft no longer owns the IP.

WKC, much like every other game Level 5 has worked on with Sony, it is both paid for and published by Sony, and hey do own the IP.  It could be labeled as second party, and it falls into the strategy that Squilliam was discussing in the OP.

They've also said it will be a franchise.

They I hope they make the new Dark Cloud that Hino keeps talking about before WKC2.

Love it. Given the rarity of third party exclusives this generation due to ever increasing development costs coupled with the troubled economy, I think investing into their own in house development projects is the way to go into the future =)

And the sheer quality of the games have been showing, through uncharted, GT5, Killzone, Resistance etc. =]

Around the Network

Can't say no.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
It's part of their short term coasting strategy. Dropping support of 3rd parties in favorable of much higher earnings potential by investing that capital into 1st party games.

The side effect is that Sony won't be seeing many 3rd party exclusives, like they did during the PS2 years. The positive is Sony's first party games will potentially be more frequent and higher quality.

I think it's a bad move. It brings the Playstation brand down, not having many 3rd party exclusives. The end goal is to become similar to Nintendo, and I can tell you, Nintendo is very successful, but most people hate on Nintendo's lack of 3rd party support. I don't think it's an even trade. I believe that Sony is trading 3rd party exclusives for 1st party profit. I think that is the reason Sony lost DMC, GTA, FFXIII, and Tekken, and why they will continue to bleed 3rd party exclusives as long as they have them to lose.

Sony didn't lose GTA, they never had GTA. It was timed. Although they did lose timed exclusivity.

The 360 doesn't have many third party exclusives either. Everything is multiplat. And that isn't going to change unless the 360 gets a 50 million lead on the PS3.

They don't really have many third party exclusives to lose any more. Other than MGS and Heavy Rain, they have been bled dry.

Back on topic, I love Sony's first (and second) party. I think it is better than both Nintendo and Microsoft. However, Microsoft seem unusually good at getting first party publishing rights from third party companies...

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I like the strategy because i can get a good third party then a good 1st party and just continue the cycle the only problem is last summer becuase i got mgs4 and then all i had was downloadable games which bore me after a week

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Consoles owned: Game Cube, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3.

My prediction: NATAL WILL NOT help 360 sales. Maybe a 50-100k boost week 1, then a 30-70 k boost week 2, and back to the norm again after 3-5 weeks.