By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's 1st party game strategy: How does it make you feel? Happy/Not?

I'm quite happy with delays as long as the games released are polished and aren't buggy. I hate the idea of buying a game and having to patch the game online to make it playable, especially since my PS3 is no longer connected to the internet. I think that the biggest detriment that giving consoles access to the internet is that, it in a way gives developers a "get out of jail free card" so they can released unpolished and buggy games with the view of patching things up later.

That being said, I'm quite happy with the current crop of games released so far. Sure there have been a few high profile games which have bored me like AC, GTA4, MGS4 and DMC4. But I have been happy with some of the exclusives to date like Singstar, Buzz, Heavenly Sword, Lair, Uncharted, ROFM, R&C, Folklore, GT5P, PixelJunk Monsters/Eden and a bunch of third party multiplats...... To be honest I guess the delays haven't really affected me since the I actually enjoyed playing the games that were on offer so I didn't really experience the drought.

Having said that I am disappointed that Sony didn't choose to do simultaneous releases in all regions with games like Little Big Planet and Resistance 2. Resisntance 2 I think is getting released today in Australia and how long has it been in release in USA? That pisses me off somewhat because it wouldn't be a delay to polish the game more.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
It's part of their short term coasting strategy. Dropping support of 3rd parties in favorable of much higher earnings potential by investing that capital into 1st party games.

The side effect is that Sony won't be seeing many 3rd party exclusives, like they did during the PS2 years. The positive is Sony's first party games will potentially be more frequent and higher quality.

I think it's a bad move. It brings the Playstation brand down, not having many 3rd party exclusives. The end goal is to become similar to Nintendo, and I can tell you, Nintendo is very successful, but most people hate on Nintendo's lack of 3rd party support. I don't think it's an even trade. I believe that Sony is trading 3rd party exclusives for 1st party profit. I think that is the reason Sony lost DMC, GTA, FFXIII, and Tekken, and why they will continue to bleed 3rd party exclusives as long as they have them to lose.

An exclusive is an exclusive, no matter if it's first or third.  The issue with third party exclusives is that they don't always stay exclusive.  The best deal you can work out with a third party is either publishing rights or else a year of timed exclusivity.  Even publishing a title doesn't always ensure exclusivity, as shown through Vampire Rain.  Microsoft published the title for the 360, yet it showed up on the ps3 a year later.

There was really nothing Sony could do about third party exclusives anyway.  Do you have any idea how many millions they would've had to throw down on the table to keep all of those franchises exclusive?  Probably more than it's costing to develop Killzone 2, God of War III, and Gran Turismo 5 combined.    There's just too much money to be made on the 360 for developers to pass it up, and Sony didn't feel like taking the hit.

And this way, they're still getting these third party in addition to a bunch of excellent first party titles like the aforementioned. In the end, they get more games on their platform, because they still get the "lost" exclusives.

Bolstering their first party assets was the right choice.  They already owned or were working with the majority of their studios last gen, and the only things that have changed is a few acquisitions (Guerrilla Games, Evolution Studios, Zipper Interactive - all of which were already Sony exclusive developers anyway), second party deals (Media Molecule, Quantic Dream), and the bolstering of team sizes (I've heard crazy things about the number of animators working on God of War III).  Bolstering team sizes would've been necessary making the leap to next gen anyway.

i rather have a game postponed than get a game early that doesn't work or is completely crap. Ex- socom wasn't ready to be released, slant six didn't want 2 delay it despite the fact they knew the servers were messed up, they released it and disappointed us all

like socom is hott, but only when it works, and their servers were a pile of shit loaded with bugs, not to mention they didn't have enough servers. they fixed it now, but its already too late cause no one wants it now

As long as I am going to get God of War III or Uncharted 2 in the future, I'm happy, and I'd rather wait then have a incomplete game, like the post above me mentioned, example: Socom.

I love it, let's me no that alot of games will be quite well on release. I'm expecting Killzone 2 to be excellent on and offline on day one.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Ajescent said:
Very happy, I think Sony needs a lot more.

Which games? Why?

Whats making you happy?

there are lots of Sony games that put a smile on my face. like when Elena punched Drake in Uncharted...or the "ow, I did not see that coming" moment later in the game.  and especially in the Ratchet & Clank games when enemies read Clank as a Toaster. now if Naughty Dog can make another Jak and Daxter...

superbeast1370 said:
Squilliam said:
Ajescent said:

Which games? Why?

Whats making you happy?

there are lots of Sony games that put a smile on my face. like when Elena punched Drake in Uncharted...or the "ow, I did not see that coming" moment later in the game.  and especially in the Ratchet & Clank games when enemies read Clank as a Toaster. now if Naughty Dog can make another Jak and Daxter...

I'd rather have Jak 4 in 2009 than Uncharted 2.

Extremely happy. They would have been stabbing us in the back if they didn't take the time to polish these games up. The end result has always proven to be well worth the wait. This is why I could care less when GT5 comes out. The longer they take the more that effort will show in their final product.

I still think that they could have spread out the releases of some of the games from this holiday season. I finally got a chance to try Motorstorm and it was a blast. I would deffinitly have thought about investing in it had it not been in the same release window as LBP and R2 (I'm only mentioning games made by Sony's studios).

indodude said:
superbeast1370 said:
Squilliam said:
Ajescent said:

Which games? Why?

Whats making you happy?

I could go either way, though I guess I'd prefer a new Jak a bit more just so I could see what it'd look like.  I love both franchises to death.

Of course, Naughty Dog has basically said it's going to be Uncharted 2.  Here's to hoping we see Jak in 2010-11.

makingmusic476 said:
indodude said:
superbeast1370 said:
Squilliam said:
Ajescent said:

Which games? Why?

Whats making you happy?

I could go either way, though I guess I'd prefer a new Jak a bit more just so I could see what it'd look like.  I love both franchises to death.

Of course, Naughty Dog has basically said it's going to be Uncharted 2.  Here's to hoping we see Jak in 2010-11.

Response to bolded:   I would love to see a Precursor Legacy type of game in current-gen graphics :)