By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Square Enix really stabbed Sony in the back

As a longtime Nintendo fan, all I can say is this: "Been there, done that, burned the frickin T-shirt." The appropriate words to describe the kind of behavior Square-Enix (and Square before them) has shown throughout the history of the industry would probably be a violation of the TOS, but suffice to say that it emulates some far... older professions. Of course, the same could be said of almost every company in this business, but S-E seems to jump at it far more eagerly than most.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Johann said:
superbeast1370 said:
The Anarchyz said:

Oh yeah, I remember those days... they were a lot of fun.

On topic, when I heard about it I didn't think so much betrayal as much as I thought... "What about those 360 exclusives? They're all going multiplat too, right?". I guess I know nothing about business...

I think is stupid that that they keep not supporting the Wii, when it's obvious the machine is not going to stop selling any time soon. Seriously the shareholders must be frowning pretty hard. The Wii is cheaper to develop for and actually sells more software than both the HD consoles. Anything at this point would be good. Make a port of Crisis Core and put some waggle on that shit. And FFXIV will obviously be on the Wii. Yes the Wii, you know why? Because it won't take this much time to develop for it and it will be out before the Wii stops selling.

I think you missed the DQ X announcement...and that there'll be a new trailer for FFCC: TCB this when FFCC: EoT releases.

DQX is one of the few stuff Square Enix did the last few years that actually makes sense to me. But the Wii is like the King of rushed out ports, and Square is king of remaking stuff, seems to me like a match made in heaven. Why can't they make a quick buck from it doing a couple of those (And yes, I do mean "Final Fantasy VII - Let the Milking Continue") while their DQs and main FFs don't arrive is beyond me. I guess portable remakes are ok and console remakes not so much?

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

amirnetz said:

SE is not Sony's friends. Businesses in general are not freinds. They are businesses.

For years SE and Sony had a mutually beneficial relationship. Sony provided a dominant platform and SE was free to focus the development on that platform and save significant costs without losing much sales.

Sony, by its own missteps, lost the dominant position of yesteryears and with that its interests were not aligned anymore with SE's.

SE did what every business is required by law - act for the benefit of its shareholders. In this case - it correctly recognized that its shareholder value will be much higher if it will release its games to the more prevelant gaming platforms of this generation. And it did what it had to do.

Had SE put Sony's interests ahead of its shareholders, it's board and management would have failed their bona fide duties and would likely be ousted by its share holders.

This is business. Not social.

If they are required by law then how come they keep ignoring the wii? it has freaking 50% marketshare!!!

I mean, yes it's bussiness, but it's still people making the desicions, and these people have their own subjectivity, which DOES come into play in the directive board meetings

Listen to the voice of reason, then do as I say.

Qly said:
amirnetz said:

SE is not Sony's friends. Businesses in general are not freinds. They are businesses.

For years SE and Sony had a mutually beneficial relationship. Sony provided a dominant platform and SE was free to focus the development on that platform and save significant costs without losing much sales.

Sony, by its own missteps, lost the dominant position of yesteryears and with that its interests were not aligned anymore with SE's.

SE did what every business is required by law - act for the benefit of its shareholders. In this case - it correctly recognized that its shareholder value will be much higher if it will release its games to the more prevelant gaming platforms of this generation. And it did what it had to do.

Had SE put Sony's interests ahead of its shareholders, it's board and management would have failed their bona fide duties and would likely be ousted by its share holders.

This is business. Not social.

If they are required by law then how come they keep ignoring the wii? it has freaking 50% marketshare!!!

I mean, yes it's bussiness, but it's still people making the desicions, and these people have their own subjectivity, which DOES come into play in the directive board meetings

huh? DQX and two FFCC isn't that good enough

you can't really expect something like TLR, SO4, main FF and other HD games on the Wii. Count and you will get almost the same amount of SE games for all consoles.

How dare they try to make money...lol!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

after wkc released stronger than any of SE of this gen i think SE will be switching up there strategy, basically all multiplats (i can see them doing away with timed exclusives too). i can understand that they want to push the 360 hardware in japan because that ultimately means cheaper way for them to push out games and have them sell more. but as of right now they need to put the games on both HD consoles...or the wii :P

Johann said:
Soriku said:
Johann said:
superbeast1370 said:
The Anarchyz said:

Oh yeah, I remember those days... they were a lot of fun.

On topic, when I heard about it I didn't think so much betrayal as much as I thought... "What about those 360 exclusives? They're all going multiplat too, right?". I guess I know nothing about business...

I think is stupid that that they keep not supporting the Wii, when it's obvious the machine is not going to stop selling any time soon. Seriously the shareholders must be frowning pretty hard. The Wii is cheaper to develop for and actually sells more software than both the HD consoles. Anything at this point would be good. Make a port of Crisis Core and put some waggle on that shit. And FFXIV will obviously be on the Wii. Yes the Wii, you know why? Because it won't take this much time to develop for it and it will be out before the Wii stops selling.

I think you missed the DQ X announcement...and that there'll be a new trailer for FFCC: TCB this when FFCC: EoT releases.

DQX is one of the few stuff Square Enix did the last few years that actually makes sense to me. But the Wii is like the King of rushed out ports, and Square is king of remaking stuff, seems to me like a match made in heaven. Why can't they make a quick buck from it doing a couple of those (And yes, I do mean "Final Fantasy VII - Let the Milking Continue") while their DQs and main FFs don't arrive is beyond me. I guess portable remakes are ok and console remakes not so much?

Lack of manpower.

If we're talking console ports then that probably would be easy, but actual remakes even on the Wii would take quite a bit of manpower, money, and time to make. Even on the handhelds most of the ports and remakes are outsourced, and those teams can be pretty small too. I believe the core FFIV DS team was composed of 7 people. That's pretty impressive to me.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Reality Check: PS3 is losing money at rates unprecidented for any console. Several of the big PS3 exclusives have actually sank their developers. Square Enix is a business, sure they must love what they do and work hard to make great games but they wouldn't exist if their did not make money. Making FFXIII multiplatform was a business decision, one they had to make in order to stay financially viable.

You will still be able to play FFXIII on your PS3 when it comes out, so quit acting like Square Enix killed your dog and raped your mother! Business decision!

Kasz216 said:
superbeast1370 said:
The Anarchyz said:
People still think that Square is the bad guy in the N64-PS1 era, i remember how close Square and Ninty were, they even developed SMRPG for Nintendo, then Yamauchi went crazy and arrogant (Yes Ninty newcomers, it's hard to believe but Ninty execs can be arrogant), and all hell broke loose... Square was so pissed that they didn't do a SINGLE GAME FOR A NINTENDO SYSTEM until Satoru Iwata replaced Yamauchi...

Of course, Sony was more than happy when this happened, so much that they offered the heaven to them, FF7 publishing in the West, heavy marketing campaign, etc.

This time, i don't think Square is pissed at Sony, Wada just did business, what i don't like is the lying...

Exactly. he called Square's...no...he called RPGs "Slow and Boring".  Sony is/was nowhere near as arrogant/tyranical/egotistical as Nintendo was back in the 90s.

Calling RPGs slow and boring is no where near as arrogant or egotyistical as suggesting that people will happily get a second job to buy your system.

Or suggesting that they'll buy a game console without game releases for the first 6 months.

The things Yamauchi said were part of a pissing match after Square got in bed with Sony. It was specifically meant to get under their skin. What Sony is doing is dumping directly on their customers, that's far more arrogant and much worse than angry employers taking snipes at each other.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

i agree this guy is a nerd but i am quiet upset myself and since i already know pissant M$ will not hold this game as an exclusive for over a year if even that long.. what the nerd said is true SE will lose face in japan and may or may not be trusted again by the Japanese people dont forget they dont forgive easly.. and what he said about ppl not buying FF it might even come out to be true (in japan) since us N/Americans dont really know much about honor and face etc.. but since SE is nolonger Squaresoft i could care less if they died tbh.. i do hope they bankrupt in the near future because making SO4 an Xbox exclusive is just wrong.. and i am not saying to make it a ps3 exclusive either just let the people play it on whatever console can must the $ to buy the tittle made for em.. i belive that's fair dont you? it has nothing to do with fanboy or not i am just a gamer who would like to play the game who made POS SE what they are today on Playstation.