By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could slowing Wii sales in Japan finally prompt some kind of action?

Probably new colors. Throw a bundle with monster hunter tri....that would be awesome

Around the Network

I think its not Ninty's fault why consoles in Japan isnt selling. Its third parties are its fault, Nintendo already do what they can to prevent a video game console crash but its third parties are the ones that should fix this and I think its too late now.

Atleast Nintendo is still profiting from handhelds and now with the new DSi. Lets just admit it, console gaming was dead in japan. Goodbye Japan, once the most waited sales on vgchartz last year, but now the sales are insignificant right now. The only ones Im waiting are the others and NA sales.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Grey Acumen said:
Did I miss something? Isn't the Wii still outselling the competition? they're going to do something cause sales are slowing a teensy bit?

Outselling the competition... but below where the PS2 was at this point in time.

Kasz216 said:
Grey Acumen said:
Did I miss something? Isn't the Wii still outselling the competition? they're going to do something cause sales are slowing a teensy bit?

Outselling the competition... but below where the PS2 was at this point in time.

O.o

I never realized that nintendo's goal with the wii was to surpassed the ps2.... i just thought that they wanted to beat both ps3 and X360..... b/c i mean, the competition for the wii are X360 and ps3, not ps2

Maynard_Tool said:
Kasz216 said:
Grey Acumen said:

O.o

I never realized that nintendo's goal with the wii was to surpassed the ps2.... i just thought that they wanted to beat both ps3 and X360..... b/c i mean, the competition for the wii are X360 and ps3, not ps2

Well it used to be killing the PS2. 

At one point blowing away the PS2 by like a million units.

Now it's like a million units behind.

Seems like a bit more then a little slowing... the cost of stimulating more sales would almost definitly be made back in renewed interest.

Around the Network

The slow down in the sales of the Wii can be attributed to software. The Wii does not need a price cut or new colors. It needs software. 3rd parties in Japan have been quick to support the Xbox 360 and slow to support the Wii. The JRPGs have boosted the sales of the Xbox 360. Therefore if third parties were developing JRPGs for the Wii the sales of the system would be much higher and the continued flow of games would extend the sales of the system. However system sales do fluctuate and the console market in Japan sees slow downs as does the rest of the world. It does happen. However, there is no reason to jump to conclusions. It's easy to compare consoles to portables but the portables have been on the market longer and have established themselves and both have undergone three revisions to keep interest in those platforms and different colors have been released.

The Wii is right where Nintendo wants it to be. If there were any concerns, Nintendo would be ready to address them. The new Nintendo is more proactive than the old Nintendo led by
Hiroshi Yamauchi.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

"The Wii is right where Nintendo wants it to be. If there were any concerns, Nintendo would be ready to address them. The new Nintendo is more proactive than the old Nintendo led by"

That was actually what I was getting at. Could Nintendo be concerned about doing something to address this or not?

We don't really know, but as we all pointed out, there are plenty of options.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Next year will be pretty tough for the Wii, until June 09 there's nothing coming out that will make HW sales increase. Then until holiday 2009 same thing.

It's gonna be a very rough year for the Wii in 2009 and with FFXIII coming out, I wonder what will happen. Maybe in holidays 2009 when Nintendo decides to support the Wii again and when finally MH3 gets released, things will get better, but one wonders if it will be too late. We know that SE and Konami will not support the Wii. SE could be providing some big hits, but they rather go bankrupt, that's a mental issue some of the CEO's got and it's very alarming. Nintendo is also there to blame, with no games that interest gamers for the most parts. They keep on releasing niche games that probably aren't gonna sell in Japan. Instead of releasing them in the West, where more people will end up buying them, they release them in Japan only and with what purpose? If no one buys them.

The only significant game coming out for the Wii in Japan in 2009 is Wii Sports Resort, no other game from Nintendo will sell more than 200k there in 2009. Maybe 2010 will get better, but this situation is truely worrying.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Maynard_Tool said:O.o

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/wii-could-outsell-ps2-says-iwata

Nintendo believe the wii will surpass the ps2.

mM
Bobbuffalo said:
And yet, they keep selling way more than the PS3, XBOX360 and PSP.

The PSP has sold about 800,000 more units than the Wii this year.  Considering we are talking about Japan.