By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could slowing Wii sales in Japan finally prompt some kind of action?

Yakuzaice said:
Bobbuffalo said:
And yet, they keep selling way more than the PS3, XBOX360 and PSP.

The PSP has sold about 800,000 more units than the Wii this year.  Considering we are talking about Japan.

yea handhelds are a different beast in Japan though, PSP is a 2nd place handheld but it's gonna sell around 2.5-3x as much as any 2nd place console has ever sold.  It also had 2 revisions this year alone.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
Bobbuffalo said:
And yet, they keep selling way more than the PS3, XBOX360 and PSP.

The PSP has sold about 800,000 more units than the Wii this year.  Considering we are talking about Japan.

The PSP is portable and plays mp3s, videos, and games. Judging by the software sales, people are probably using it more for multimedia purposes.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

colors will come long before a price cut does. Just as with the DS

patjuan32 said:

The PSP is portable and plays mp3s, videos, and games. Judging by the software sales, people are probably using it more for multimedia purposes.

johnsobas said:

yea handhelds are a different beast in Japan though, PSP is a 2nd place handheld but it's gonna sell around 2.5-3x as much as any 2nd place console has ever sold.  It also had 2 revisions this year alone.

He said the wii has been outselling the PSP.  It hasn't.  That was my point.

Also the PSP has not had two hardware revisions this year.

"Next year will be pretty tough for the Wii, until June 09 there's nothing coming out that will make HW sales increase. Then until holiday 2009 same thing."

Monster Hunter 3 comes out in March. There are some Feb releases.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

@Lord: Lol!! MH3 isn't coming out in March. No freaking way.
The game is probably going to get released in Holidays 09, seeing as it was only 33% complete when shown this year at the TGS. Even Sven said at Capcom's forum that the released date has never been officially announced and that 2010 seemed like a probable date.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Also, which game has an official date? And what's more important, which of those games can you assure me is going to be big? Most of them seem like niche games and all are new IP's. There's no big sequel or game from a strong franchise next year for the Wii. The only ones that come to my mind are the New Tales (no way it's coming out so soon), MH3 (most probably coming in Q4 09/Q1 '10) and Samurai Warriors 3 ( Not coming out in a long while).
Besides those, I doubt any games is going to be able to break 200k.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Why was it never bundled with Wii Sports over there? Wonder much difference it would've made...

leo-j said:
Maynard_Tool said:O.o

I never realized that nintendo's goal with the wii was to surpassed the ps2.... i just thought that they wanted to beat both ps3 and X360..... b/c i mean, the competition for the wii are X360 and ps3, not ps2

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/wii-could-outsell-ps2-says-iwata

Nintendo believe the wii will surpass the ps2.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said he believes the Wii could outsell PlayStation 2 over the course of its lifetime to become the most popular console ever. 

"Sony's PS2 sales of 100 million units is an extraordinary number that
our home game console business has not achieved," Iwata told Reuters. 

"But if we can make our bid to expand the gaming population a continued success, we could exceed that."

Hardly a series of statements  the contain the confidence you assign to them. All he says is that growing the market gives Nintendo a shot at PS2. He doesn't say that he believes it will happen or even that its a goal.

Does Japan have a big population? Maybe that hes something to do with it. It can't be competition, it's whupping the X360 and the PS3 very soundly.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Red Steel.

Wii Friend Codes:

Smash Bros Brawl- 5284 2865 3565

Mario Kart Wii- 0216 0932 4306

Mario Strikers Charged- 034471 707985

Send me a message if you have added me.