By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 outsells the Saturn

disolitude said:
hotrodx said:
Worldwide, the PS3 has passed the Saturn maybe long ago. But then again the Saturn never had any success outside Japan.

It will take some more time for the PS3 to outsell the Saturn in Japan, where it had modest success.

PS3 will never pass the Saturn where it matters...in my heart! :)

I miss it too, man. I still have the games for it. No working Saturn though.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

Around the Network
Dryden said:
Killergran said:

That's not true. If you follow the link you do not get redirected to GamePro, but to this PDF article:
http://www.26econ.com/pdf/InvisibleEngines.pdf

In it, you'll find the following quote: "Sega’s Saturn fared very poorly, with only 17 million units sold by 1998, when it was discontinued."

Now, it doesn't give sources for that quote, so I cannot say how true it is. But at least get your facts straight.

See my last post above, just noticed that. Depending on which Wikipedia page you view, you'll find different sales figures for the Saturn with different sources.

Indeed you did :) I was too busy searching through the Wikipedia stuff to notice your correction.

This is invisible text!

Saturn was still the better console imo for its time anyway.Only because it had great arcade titles as well as awesome japanese imports.I still got my saturn hooked up to the tv and play it all the time.

Saturn had weird splits - 5.8m in Japan, and about ~2m in the Americas and ~2m in Others

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

so far, SEGA has been one of Sony's best supporters.

Around the Network
TheSource said:

Saturn had weird splits - 5.8m in Japan, and about ~2m in the Americas and ~2m in Others

With the Japanese support it got, the splits are OK and logical. The Saturn, because of the good Japanese support is on par with the Dreamcast IMO.

Xen said:
TheSource said:

With the Japanese support it got, the splits are OK and logical. The Saturn, because of the good Japanese support is on par with the Dreamcast IMO.

The Dreamcast had an inverse weird split: terrible in Japan but decent in America (not quite sure with Europe, though).

Sega couldn't get good numbers in all regions at the same time (true even with the Genesis/Megadrive).

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

hotrodx said:
Xen said:
TheSource said:

The Dreamcast had an inverse weird split: terrible in Japan but decent in America (not quite sure with Europe, though).

Sega couldn't get good numbers in all regions at the same time (true even with the Genesis/Megadrive).

DC didn't have a proper distribution deal in Europe so the sales suffered there. It did good in America and thats about it... those NFL 2k commercials were worth it I guess...

saturn didn't sell 17 mil, only about 10. It sold close to 6 million in Japan and that was the bulk of it. Sold only change in europe/na. PS3 still has a ways to go to pass the saturn in japan though.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Time to celebrate :)
By hearing this song

^_^