By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So what is a "hardcore" gamer? And why must we really define it?

Soriku said:
@Dodece

OK.

Do RPGs fit in with your definition of hardcore? Because there's a lot more RPGs on the Wii than the PS3 and 360 next year (that will reach 50+ hours. But I don't believe it has to be 50. 30-40 average for the main story only seems acceptable IMO) so I'd say 2009 is where it kicks up. Besides all those RPGs though, we have Mad World, Conduit, MH3 (Japan at least), etc. all coming.

Really? How many is that?

Around the Network

The hardcore gamer is a myth. Some people wish to declare themselves this myth, not realizing it is an insult to themselves and others. I don't know why.

toastboy44562 said:
hardcore=dead or alive extreame vollyball 2!

One of the few posts that you made i'd have to agree with... :D

I don't think it has anything to do with the games (although "hardcore" games generally involve violence)

A hardcore gamer is something different. A hardcore gamer gives a damn about review scores and sales. A casual gamer does not. They buy the games they think look good, and many don't like talking about gaming at all.

That's the way I see it, and by that definition, yes I am a hardcore gamer, as are most people on this site.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Its funny to say that someone is hardcore gamer when he plays games on consoles as HC gamers spend hours to play game and demand games that must be played for hours for any gains. Console games on the other hand are mostly made for quick and easy fun. Anyway term quite fuzzy and means only 'the higher lvl of gaming'. So there are still games on consoles that are harder and more 'HC' than the ones which are easy and easy to play in small meaningless sessions. The need for term is clear. HC gamers must seperate them from the 'mindless' flock of casual players, which seem to be more or less a 'disgrace' for gaming culture.

Around the Network

So you (the ones who call yourselves hardcore) are trying to start a some sort of culture war between worthy fans and unworthy fans of your hobby?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
So you (the ones who call yourselves hardcore) are trying to start a some sort of culture war between worthy fans and unworthy fans of your hobby?

It's all about who has the hardest core.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

The problem with how the term "hardcore" is used is, that as a term, it would describe pretty well someone who's very dedicated. But how this self-proclaimed "hardcore" is using it, means basically what ever they want to "qualify"; it's not hardcore if i don't like it. If we would split it by genres, like hardcore puzzle game fan, hardcore platformer fan, hardcore shooter fan, hardcore sports game fan etc., the word would be descriptive again, but it would also show, that the ones who call themselves hardcore, are wrong with their "hardcore" justification. The issue isn't any different from saying, i'm a hardcore gamer, movies and music suck.
So in the end, "hardcore", as it's seen used, is a defence mechanism (as Kasz already said) used by people who still are in denial.

@DTG: I think your art critic example was pretty descriptive. The "hardcore" we have here are the art critics who have studied Da Vinci.

Ps. The denial stage you're in, should go by when time passes.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

To me it's simple:
Hardcore gamers have Nintendo tattoos on their necks, MS tatoos on their chests and Playstaion tatoos on their genetalia.

Everyone else is just a casual gamer, I'm afraid.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Does anybody have Microsoft or Sony tattoos? I don't think those would have the same effect as a Nintendo tattoo.