By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Closest you've come to death?

I almost got run over by a car it happend it different times once in mexico,in school and the other in a friend's house luckly I'm still alive and I'll never try to go to the streets again.

Around the Network

I slid off a bike going around a corner and by the time the car behind me stopped i was actually under it.

I've been swimming in open ocean with sharks which sounds kinda dangerous but it wasn't really.

hmm... I've had a couple

- At camp i fell from the top of a pretty tall tree that I'd climbed. I can't really estimate its height but it was a sizable drop. I just got winded and was fine in a couple minutes. To think if i had laned on my head i could be dead. I was probably 8-10 years old.

- I almost got into a car accident turning left at an intersection, but i was with my driving instructor and he slammed the brake which stopped us. Last year when I was 16.

Those are the only 2 I can think of.

At the hospital I was born at, they rate you from 1-10 on how healthy you are at birth. I was a 1, as in, this baby will die in a few minutes unless something happens. Something had gotten wrapped around my neck in the womb and I was suffocating if I remember the story correctly. Luckily, I'm alive, and even more luckily, no mental retardation!

^^APGAR (appearance, pulse, grimace, activity, respiration) score, you are rated between 0-2 for each component, one is not a good score. The thing was the umbilical cord.

Around the Network
hsrob said:
^^APGAR (appearance, pulse, grimace, activity, respiration) score, you are rated between 0-2 for each component, one is not a good score. The thing was the umbilical cord.

I thought it was, but I thought I remembered telling that story in front of my mom and her correcting me about.  I might have the whole story wrong, but in any case, I was a 1.  I assume the 1 was for pulse...

I was driving this during a mission trip.

My partner smoked pot the night before and was woozy. No, I wasn't there and didn't find out until after the trip was nearly over. He woke me up and said I had to drive. I got into the van and drove to get these two missionary women. They weren't there. So, I hauled back to the church. I hit this dip in the road, the van caught some serious air (I hit it like 50mph), fishtailed, hit a car - car's bumper hit a tree, bounced off a wall and hit a truck from behind. Happened in less than a second - my partner said it - but for me, as soon as I hit the dip, everything slowed down. My partner was screaming in slow mo - WHAT ARE YOU DOING? I looked back at the area ahead and went forward over the steering wheel.

I was like 'Lord, I can't believe I am about to die. However, I am ready to come home. Let Your will, not my will, be done. In Jesus name I pray, amen.' and I braced to fly through the windshield, and hit the back of the truck's cab I hit or shoot over the cab and into the road. Either way, at the rate of speed, I wasn't expecting to survive.

As soon as we hit (I wasn't wearing my seatbelt), I flew backward and pulled the van into reverse by accident. Everything went real-time again. I hit the brake and just shrivered - my mouth was open and nothing came out. My partner said 'Hit the brake,' and I did. Then, he said 'Put it into park' but my hands were froze to the wheel.

I literally watched my life flash before my eyes. From that day forward, I live every day like it's my last. No regrets.

Animations for the win!!

I can recount three times. Once asa a young boy, 6 or so I fell from a tree and landed on my back, on a small stump sticking out. It didn't hit anything vital thank god but someone had to pull me off from the sharp point..

The second one, I was eight and me and some friends where walking around, enjoying the winterscenery. even the large open sea was partly frozen dozens of meters from the coast. We started to walk over the ice. At some point I felt a shock and jumped up... below me I could suddenly see a large part of the ice crack and slide under the remainder of the other ice. I landed just barely on the side.

Last one I can remember (pulling a bee away from the collar at my throat does not really count I believe) was in the summer when I was...17 or so. We where swimming and the usual dock we where used to jump of was not available - a ship had moared there. So we used the ship as a diving board. I climed to the top hut, and stoot on the railing when I felt my foot slipping. I had no intention of landing on the back of my head so I lunnged myself forward, seeing each succesive railing inch a bit closer to my face... then I hit the water breaking it with the top of my head. I was so lucky I didn't land on the deck there...

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

The closet i ever came was, it was raining out side and i was in the passenger seat of my brothers car. we went around a turn and we hydroplaned and went up over a hill. If my brother didn't get control of the car and pulled he emergency brake we would have slid right in front of an 18-wheeler.

Currently Playing: Mass Effect (360)

"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Gandhi