By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone 2 will have no install...

bugrimmar said:
it's almost as if the first parties know something about the hardware that they're not telling the third parties. I find the disparity between first and third party titles on the ps3 to be really huge, much more compared to the disparity with 360 titles.

i wonder why Sony is keeping this secret to themselves (if there is one anyway).

this is exactly what i m thinking.I mean come on sony share the knowledge with them,,,,,it's not like your competition can enjoy this tip(since no other gaming conosle has bluray now)it just improves the quality of the software on their own hardware.

don't teach them surface texture and other technical stuff,,,but teach them how to use bluray efficiently.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
outlawauron said:
DJames said:
Cool.

On another note, just unlocked the scout class in the beta. Win!

What? How much have you been playing?!

Way too much.

Agreed. But it's ending on Fri, IIRC, and no school for seven days so... I do feel bad though. LBP, R2, and MGS4 arent getting played.

One of the oldest Members of the site.

A small install for about 2min I dont mind!

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

makingmusic476 said:
akuma587 said:
bugrimmar said:
it's almost as if the first parties know something about the hardware that they're not telling the third parties. I find the disparity between first and third party titles on the ps3 to be really huge, much more compared to the disparity with 360 titles.

i wonder why Sony is keeping this secret to themselves (if there is one anyway).

It seems very few third parties are taking advantage of streaming and most are relying on installs instead.

This is an issue with multiplatform development, as best I can tell.  The strength of Blu-Ray is that it allows for developers to store data (textures and stuff) on the disc at a lower compression, allowing it to be streamed directly from the disc without eating through (as many) clock cycles to uncompress the data.  However, most multiplatform games are devleoped around the 360's DVD drive, resulting in the ISOs of both the 360 and ps3 versions of a multiplatform game being no larger than 6.8gbs, the maximum amount of data that can be stored on a DVD after all of Microsoft's security data.

Because the 360 DVD drive has a higher peak read speed than the ps3's BD-rom drive (the ps3's drive reads at a constant rate, while the 360's drive reads at a variable rate), developers are forced to compensate via installs.

I'm not sure what the hell happened with MGS4, though.

MGS4 ran at a higher resolution, was longer, had extremely high quality cutscenes, some seventy weapons, around twenty gadgets and items, and an online mode.

I'd say it's a fair bit bigger than Uncharted. Having said that, I think the six installs were a little unnecessary. I suppose they didn't know enough about the hardware, being third party. Kojima also said he ran into technical problems while making MGS4, which i why it got delayed. Maybe this was part of it.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

SpartanFX said:
bugrimmar said:

this is exactly what i m thinking.I mean come on sony share the knowledge with them,,,,,it's not like your competition can enjoy this tip(since no other gaming conosle has bluray now)it just improves the quality of the software on their own hardware.

don't teach them surface texture and other technical stuff,,,but teach them how to use bluray efficiently.

I think it's much more due to the processor than the blu ray.

The optimised way to use the cell is by streaming. That is where it takes the crown. Naturally they can't use this properly in multiplatform games because the games 1. Need to be similar and 2. The 360 is built very differently, optimising a different set of values.

Naturally the extensive space on the blu ray disc also means nothing needs to be compressed, which in other teams again mean that no unpacking of data is needed and that it can be accessed faster.

That's just my theory anyways.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

Ohhhh technicality~ At least no more installs for this game(or no big installations).

SpartanFX said:
i just wonder why Sony is not teaching this to third parties so that their games wouldn't require a mandatory installs like some 3rd part games.

I think that Sony are willing to teach it. After all they take insane amount of blame for mandatory instals from fanboys. But i think that 3rd parties are not willing to learn.

After all more optimization = more costs.

And it's also impossible for multiplatform becouse they need to think about lowest common denominator in this case X360 dvd drive.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
SpartanFX said:
i just wonder why Sony is not teaching this to third parties so that their games wouldn't require a mandatory installs like some 3rd part games.

I think that Sony are willing to teach it. After all they take insane amount of blame for mandatory instals from fanboys. But i think that 3rd parties are not willing to learn.

After all more optimization = more costs.

And it's also impossible for multiplatform becouse they need to think about lowest common denominator in this case X360 dvd drive.

Agreed. However, if the PS3 was doing as well as the PS2, outselling its competitor 5:1 when all was said and done, I don't think the third parties would care about "lowest common denominators"

However, that is not the case. Neither console is leading by a huge amount, neither console gets intentional preference, but like you said, the LCD is the 360 DVD drive, which is why many multiplats run slightly better on 360.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I'm not surprised. PS3 exclusives seem to have no installs for the most part.

Some of you guys in the beta should add me on PSN. I'm currently 5th on the beta leaderboard =)