By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: "No Plans" for March PS3 Price Cut

Max King of the Wild said:
amirnetz said:

Careful here.

The standard response from a company is "we do not comment on rumors and speculations".

Here Sony went much stronger. They outflat denied it. If they are lying, it will come back to haunt them and kill their enterprise credibility. They know it and they are very careful with what they say. So if they denied it, you should assume they have a good reason to believe that what they said is true and they will not be caught lying.

You're new so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt... lying is nothing new to companies. no this wont hurt their credibility. no people wont remember they denied it 5 months from now.

You are young and inexperienced so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  Lying to journalist is something that every PR department in a corporation will avoid like the plauge. They will hide the truth, they will bend it, they will not answer the question, but the will not knowingly lie.

I know it is hard for you to understand it at such a young age, but here is how it works: the PR guys need the journalists and they need to maintain good working relationships with them. They cannot afford to burn bridges with them (which is what lying gets you in this business). They cannot afford to alienate them. They want to have many another conversations with the journalists in the next year.

So they don't lie. Instead they have a nice convention for whenever the situation is unpleasent: "we do not comment on rumors and speculations". Sony chose not to use the convention but instead flatout denied it. This means that they are sure there is no price cut planned for March. Maybe there is one planned for April, maybe even for February. But not for March, for sure.

Lesson is over. You can go home.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

Around the Network
amirnetz said:
amirnetz said:

Careful here.

The standard response from a company is "we do not comment on rumors and speculations".

Here Sony went much stronger. They outflat denied it. If they are lying, it will come back to haunt them and kill their enterprise credibility. They know it and they are very careful with what they say. So if they denied it, you should assume they have a good reason to believe that what they said is true and they will not be caught lying.

You're new so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt... lying is nothing new to companies. no this wont hurt their credibility. no people wont remember they denied it 5 months from now.

You are young and inexperienced so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  Lying to journalist is something that every PR department in a corporation will avoid like the plauge. They will hide the truth, they will bend it, they will not answer the question, but the will not knowingly lie.

I know it is hard for you to understand it at such a young age, but here is how it works: the PR guys need the journalists and they need to maintain good working relationships with them. They cannot afford to burn bridges with them (which is what lying gets you in this business). They cannot afford to alienate them. They want to have many another conversations with the journalists in the next year.

So they don't lie. Instead they have a nice convention for whenever the situation is unpleasent: "we do not comment on rumors and speculations". Sony chose not to use the convention but instead flatout denied it. This means that they are sure there is no price cut planned for March. Maybe there is one planned for April, maybe even for February. But not for March, for sure.

Lesson is over. You can go home.

You realize Sony flatout denied the last price cut up to a week before it happened right? I think you have no clue what your talking about or how PR works...

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

i read from another article on playstation underground, that "following policy" he refuses to make any comments on price cut speculation and rumour. that is enough to confirm a price cut because they arent going to say it wide in the open since that will hurt their winter sales badly, so they just say: no comment. which obviously means that they will cut the price!

ssj12 said:

You realize Sony flatout denied the last price cut up to a week before it happened right? I think you have no clue what your talking about or how PR works...

Since in my day job I am very engaged in PR work, I do know exactly what I am talking about.

I would be curious to see a link to Sony's official denial. 

deathgod33 said:
i read from another article on playstation underground, that "following policy" he refuses to make any comments on price cut speculation and rumour. that is enough to confirm a price cut because they arent going to say it wide in the open since that will hurt their winter sales badly, so they just say: no comment. which obviously means that they will cut the price!

This is the proper response for Sony when they don't want to talk about it. If this was the only response then I would give significant credit to the rumor. As it happens, the added an official repsonse of flat-out denial, which rules out a March price cut. April may still be good though.

Around the Network
amirnetz said:
amirnetz said:

Careful here.

oooo....it's the condescension wars.

one thing that everyone seems to forget is that Sony said they will get competitive price wise AFTER March 09,,,not necessarily in that month.

Torillian said:
amirnetz said:

oooo....it's the condescension wars. 

Hey - he started it...

SpartanFX said:
one thing that everyone seems to forget is that Sony said they will get competitive price wise AFTER March 09,,,not necessarily in that month.

Sony did not say that. The unnamed source said that.

But yes... my read was also that it is AFTER March. It also makes a lot of sense since their Fiscal year ends in March. So what they really said is that they will become price competitive in their next fiscal year.

It could be April. It could be later. It is not going to be March. 

i personally think they will cut the price around 9th of February 09.

I kinda have a feeling that they want to do a huge ad campaign for KZ2 around that time so they can use the same money to advertise for both the price drop and their huge game.

but that's just my feeling.Feb 09 price cut effects will not effect their fiscal year results that much as it only will apply to 2 weeks in that fiscal year.