By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 360 vs. PS3 Face-Off: Round 15

I wrote this before:
"Most important part for high graphic games is GPU. 360 GPU > PS3 GPU. Not by far, but still better for most of the graphical operations. Cell is cell, but without strong GPU even Core 2 Quad Extreme is useless. Don't get me wrong. You still need strong CPU for great physics, A.I., etc.

If you optimize for 360 GPU, when porting to less powerfull PS3 GPU you need to sacrifice something (framerate, resolution, etc) to make things to run or to downgrade it visuals."

PS3 can't win a round, cos this comparisons are based on graphics. PS3 wins in pop-ins and load times (not GPU related) , but loose in resolution, framerate and screen tearing (GPU related). With NXE PS3 will loose most of its advantages, cos now xbox users can install games if they want. This will make pop-ins and load times nearly same on both platforms.

Around the Network
BrayanA said:
I wrote this before:
"Most important part for high graphic games is GPU. 360 GPU > PS3 GPU. Not by far, but still better for most of the graphical operations. Cell is cell, but without strong GPU even Core 2 Quad Extreme is useless. Don't get me wrong. You still need strong CPU for great physics, A.I., etc.

If you optimize for 360 GPU, when porting to less powerfull PS3 GPU you need to sacrifice something (framerate, resolution, etc) to make things to run or to downgrade it visuals."

PS3 can't win a round, cos this comparisons are based on graphics. PS3 wins in pop-ins and load times (not GPU related) , but loose in resolution, framerate and screen tearing (GPU related). With NXE PS3 will loose most of its advantages, cos now xbox users can install games if they want. This will make pop-ins and load times nearly same on both platforms.

Wow, thanks a lot. Finally someone explained this in a good way, fantastic work. Mind if I put a link to this in my sig, so people who wonder but didn't read this thread can see it?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

EuroGamer is one of the most 360-biased gaming websites in existence.

Refer to the Halo 3 review (10/10) and MGS4 review (8/10)

Now to move onto BioShock. After the textures patch, and in fact even before it, BioShock looked amazing on PS3. At least as good as the 360 version. Sure, it could have been better, given the 14 months they had, but after giving both versions 10/10, how can they suddenly say "wait actually the PS3 graphics were an insult to the userbase and the game"?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

BrayanA said:
I wrote this before:

Absolutely true. Just very well explained.

The Cell is a vector processor that can handle certain tasks of the GPU. But of course, they say at least, it's difficult to develop for it. Logically, multiplat games or simple ports are normally not optimized concerning this circumstance.

And don't forget Eurogamer is known for its subjectivity and extreme Xbox360 fanboyism.

BrayanA said:
I wrote this before:

True.  Also, it's clear that most ports so far (and multiplats) don't spend time/money to fundamentally change code to leverage SPEs in conjunction to GPU on the PS3.

The easy route is to keep the core code as much as possible during the port then optimize where possible while trying to find a balance in minimising something else (resolution, texture quality, etc).

The simply fact is that unless PS3 gets far enough ahead to force developers to need to exploit the machine fully they won't if they can achieve a good enough match to 360 versions to get decent sales - and that point has been reached already IMHO.  Most multiplats now look almost identical with only a few differences (normally in favour of 360) and the developers know this is good enough for the moment.

It's going to be down to Sony exclusive games to show if you really can code to use SPE's in conjunction with CPU/GPU to deliver graphics beyond that capable of 360 (please not I'm not saying it can, just that I don't believe any multiplatform games are going to even try while 360 is ahead WW so its down to exclusives to show the difference if it really exists).

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

These tests provide factual info. Not an opinion of graphics over graphics. After seeing numerous people argue against hard facts, I will not comment to facts anymore in this forum with someone denying those facts.

OT: Did we expect anything else? The 360 is easier for third party devs to get running smoother.

BS, BS, BS. There is no problem in Bioshock PS3. The technical issues are found in the PC version due to the lack of 2.0b pixel shader cards compatibility.

The cheapest console this gen > the most expensive.

Hilarious

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Reasonable said:
BrayanA said:
I wrote this before:

True.  Also, it's clear that most ports so far (and multiplats) don't spend time/money to fundamentally change code to leverage SPEs in conjunction to GPU on the PS3.

The easy route is to keep the core code as much as possible during the port then optimize where possible while trying to find a balance in minimising something else (resolution, texture quality, etc).

The simply fact is that unless PS3 gets far enough ahead to force developers to need to exploit the machine fully they won't if they can achieve a good enough match to 360 versions to get decent sales - and that point has been reached already IMHO.  Most multiplats now look almost identical with only a few differences (normally in favour of 360) and the developers know this is good enough for the moment.

It's going to be down to Sony exclusive games to show if you really can code to use SPE's in conjunction with CPU/GPU to deliver graphics beyond that capable of 360 (please not I'm not saying it can, just that I don't believe any multiplatform games are going to even try while 360 is ahead WW so its down to exclusives to show the difference if it really exists).

I don't think there will be exclusive games that will blow away the competitors.

Fanboys will push their systems exclusive games as "Nothing like any game on platform X", but the true is that PS3 and 360 are close to each other as HW possibilities. It will be more like art style and design battle, then real graphical outstrip. Because of this there will be no real winner. Yes, 360 will keep winning in multiplats due to stronger GPU, but will go no further then a few more pixels or frames. Art style and design is something that is very personal. For example many PS3 owners praise Uncharted as best looking PS3 game, but I can't stand its plastic look. IMO Resistance 2 is looking much better then Uncharted. Do you get the point?

That's why I try to avoid multi platform games.

Don't you get that it's not the PS3 losing or the 360 winning? It's us gamers losing all the way...

That's also why I avoid Eurogamer.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts