By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Third parties pull a fast one and blame Nintendo for their own crappy games

Pristine20 said:

you obviously bought a 360 and expect they "typical" 3rd party games on it. they've tried the "typical" on wii and you haven't bought them. So what constitutes a good 3rd party game? I for one am just as cnfused as they are.

Off topic, I don't care about halo myself. I didn't even buy any halo game on the original xbox

You DO know that FPS's aren't  the be all and end all of a "typical game" right.

Besides, the reason why the wii version hasn't sold well is a pretty obvious one, anyone that doesn't know why just isn't paying attention.

Your average consumer, he swicthes on the television and see an advert for WaW. He see's the 360 version, but he can pretty much guarantee the PS3 is getting that shit, as most of them go to both. This commercial doesn't have logos at the end of it, obviously because microsoft have bought the rights to the marketing of the game.

Why would someone then go out to a gaming store and ask for the wii version?  Now I know it exists, but damn, I barely even know what the game looks like. All I've seen of it has come from E3 months ago and a few videos on IGN. If they can't even be bothered to Market their own game, why would I go out and support that version?

Seems everyone likes to pass around the blame on why these games don't sell, as long as it's not the fault of the publishers. It's even come down to fans of other consoles blaming Nintendo for TP's shortcomings. It's crazy. Bottom line is, THEY don't put in the effort for these games to succeed, probably because they don't give half a shit. Blaming Nintendo, the wii, and even the consumers is just a fancy way for them to get out of properly supporting it.

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
Ugggh..

Reggie's point is that developers should be trying to make good games -- not that they have to look like HD consoles.

Look at Activision's recent Wii releases. In the past two months, they have dropped among other things, a minigame collection, a port of an old PS2 game, and a clone of Wii Sports. All carry a $40 price tag.

True, but in fairness they've also dropped both of their biggest properties on the system recently. One's doing better than the other versions, the other one's...not.

That tells us, and third parties, something, but not what the Wii detractors want it to be.

mike_intellivision said:

Had Nintendo made a machine like the PS3 and Xbox 360, it would not be selling. But since it made something different, those who don't understand can't figure out why it sells and take pot shots. Plus, you know that Kotaku would pick up on anything aniti-Wii.

With you a hundred percent. The first two lines in particular are more true than they should be. I'd also add that most third-parties didn't bother to make Gamecube versions of their games last generation, despite it being quite easy to do so. The whole "it's because the Wii's underpowered!" argument is weakened by that inconvenient detail.

What is really interesting is that when a Wii multiplatform shines, it gets ignored.

Cast in point, the Wii version of Shaun White snowboarding has gotten higher review scores. But several days ago, X-play reviewed the HD version, then went into a skit about "Wii games we'd love to see -- Balance Board Edition." They have so far completely ignored this game.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Pristine20 said:
bdbdbd said:

I haven't played any wii games so i don't know if the 3rd party devs mess up the motion controls or not but what I do know is this: our generation of 3rd party devs don'tknow what to do with the wii. It's painfully obvious. They want to make games for it but don't know how to approach. Hence, the cheap shovelware. They just ignored the GC and N64 but they aren't really ignoring the wii. EA  tries to specialize with titles like bloom blox sees pretty good success then turns around to see Activision's COD4 doing 6.6 mil on x360 which is a fomula they're more familiar with.

I think the honest truth is that the wii itself is an innovation and requires innovative titles as such to sell well (apart from nintendocore titles which nintendo fans always buy like SSBB, Mario, Zelda etc). Most devs are just used to franchising like the rest of the world. Wii development thus becomes much more costly/risky because that goes hand in hand with innovation whereas devs can continue reiterating (franchising) old successes on ps360 and keep succeeding. You can call devs lazy but just remember that 99% of the world repeats success formulas instead of creating new ones.

Teasing about Halo aside, I can definitely see where you're coming from here. I liken the Wii to the DS: the early going was rough because no one knew what to make of the damned thing, but once things settled down and third-parties started getting the hang of things titles, traditional and innovative, started to arrive in sizeable numbers. I'm guessing it'll be a similar story with the Wii, although the difference won't be as dramatic, since Western developers seem to prefer consoles and high-tech, much more so than their Japanese counterparts (who are historically more comfortable with handhelds).

noname2200 said:
Pristine20 said:
noname2200 said:
Pristine20 said:
noname2200 said:
Pristine20 said:
vdoesntforgive said:
Pristine20 said:

I don't know why you wii owners always pick on Halo.

Someone's obviously never played Halo...

I've played both halo 2 and 3 so I don't know what you are talking about.

To quote Khuutra, you are a liar. Anyone's who's played Halo knows you can't tell if Master Chief is bald, and that you can't see if he's sweating or not.

You know, you don't have to play halo to know that right?... Also, I only bothered to play the multiplayer portion of both halo 2 and 3 with friends so I won't know if master chief is bald or not (if he /she took off his/her helmet sometime during the campaign)

So you admit to making claims that you don't actually know are true or not, and that you haven't done even the most cursory of research before making your claim.

I take it back. You're not just a liar. You're also a bulls***er.

Now you're getting out of hand. Where have I ever said that master chief was bald or that you can see his face? Someone else mentioned halo in an arguement and I said that most hd unenthusiasts tend to pick on halo to justify their dislike of hd game trends.  Yet you chose to pick the most useless portion of my post and take it on a ridiculous tangent, now you're insulting my personality. I have yet to get banned from this website because I like to keep things civil but everyman has a breaking point.

Stop with the nonsense!!!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
noname2200 said:
Pristine20 said:
noname2200 said:
Pristine20 said:
noname2200 said:
Pristine20 said:
vdoesntforgive said:
Pristine20 said:

To quote Khuutra, you are a liar. Anyone's who's played Halo knows you can't tell if Master Chief is bald, and that you can't see if he's sweating or not.

You know, you don't have to play halo to know that right?... Also, I only bothered to play the multiplayer portion of both halo 2 and 3 with friends so I won't know if master chief is bald or not (if he /she took off his/her helmet sometime during the campaign)

So you admit to making claims that you don't actually know are true or not, and that you haven't done even the most cursory of research before making your claim.

Now you're getting out of hand. Where have I ever said that master chief was bald or that you can see his face? Someone else mentioned halo in an arguement and I said that most hd unenthusiasts tend to pick on halo to justify their dislike of hd game trends.  Yet you chose to pick the most useless portion of my post and take it on a ridiculous tangent, now you're insulting my personality. I have yet to get banned from this website because I like to keep things civil but everyman has a breaking point.

Hold on there, cowboy. I brought up bald sweaty space marines, which happens to be a 360 meme just like the wii has no good third party support and the PS3 has no games.

No one mentioned Halo until you did. I have nothing against Halo.

Pristine20 said:
Kenny said:

For the record, I bought CoD:WaW.  However, the fact of the matter is that WaW on the Wii is stripped down from the PS360 versions.  The maximum number of players in multiplayer was cut in half, vehicles were removed, multiplayer co-op was taken out, the Nazi Zombies are gone...  There are no good technical reasons for any of these omissions, and yet these features are missing.  The point is, it's not a fair comparison, because WaW is the kind of game that focuses on the online multiplayer experience, and the Wii version is, for no good reason, markedly inferior in that regard.

You see, even if the vehicles were removed and co-op was taken out, even cod4 didn't have those options but it sold better than games like bad company which allow you to fly even helicopters and Resistance 2 which has co-op options beyond anything I've ever seen. So I won't consider the omission of those options an excuse for the cod:waw selling a measly 0.07mil (according to vgc).

You are right, the game is inferior but I used to think wii owners were in need of a good shooter so that would make it more likely to sell more? On ps3 some people picked R2 over cod:waw and many 360 owners chose to play gears 2 nstead. Other HD console owners just stuck with cod4 but what other game competes with cod:Waw on wii? My conclusion: the audience for this sort of game either don't have wiis or have both a wii and one or both of the HD consoles for which they just went HD.

In all honesty, it's far too early to determine the overall sales distributions between consoles.  The Wii has demonstrated that games on it tend to be spread out further over time, while PS360 games enjoy much more front loading.  It's very probable that the PS360 versions will have more sales in the end, but the extent of that can't be drawn on first week sales data alone.  We can agree, though, that if a person had a Wii and a PS3 or 360, and wanted WaW, they would pick the PS360 version over the Wii, simply because the Wii version is inferior.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

Pristine20 said:
noname2200 said:
Pristine20 said:
noname2200 said:
Pristine20 said:
noname2200 said:
Pristine20 said:
vdoesntforgive said:
Pristine20 said:

Hmm. The joke's getting old, but your inability to get the joke makes this fun too...Do I keep going? Hell yes!

No one brought up Halo until you did, pardner. And you're admitting that you don't know what you're talking about regarding the very point you brought up. And now you're getting defensive because someone's callin' you out. Shall I add yellow-belly to the list of charges?

vdoesntforgive said:
Pristine20 said:

you obviously bought a 360 and expect they "typical" 3rd party games on it. they've tried the "typical" on wii and you haven't bought them. So what constitutes a good 3rd party game? I for one am just as cnfused as they are.

Off topic, I don't care about halo myself. I didn't even buy any halo game on the original xbox

You DO know that FPS's aren't  the be all and end all of a "typical game" right.

Besides, the reason why the wii version hasn't sold well is a pretty obvious one, anyone that doesn't know why just isn't paying attention.

Your average consumer, he swicthes on the television and see an advert for WaW. He see's the 360 version, but he can pretty much guarantee the PS3 is getting that shit, as most of them go to both. This commercial doesn't have logos at the end of it, obviously because microsoft have bought the rights to the marketing of the game.

Why would someone then go out to a gaming store and ask for the wii version?  Now I know it exists, but damn, I barely even know what the game looks like. All I've seen of it has come from E3 months ago and a few videos on IGN. If they can't even be bothered to Market their own game, why would I go out and support that version?

Seems everyone likes to pass around the blame on why these games don't sell, as long as it's not the fault of the publishers. It's even come down to fans of other consoles blaming Nintendo for TP's shortcomings. It's crazy. Bottom line is, THEY don't put in the effort for these games to succeed, probably because they don't give half a shit. Blaming Nintendo, the wii, and even the consumers is just a fancy way for them to get out of properly supporting it.

The majority of games are sold by word of mouth. Cod4 is the perfect example of this. I never saw an advert for it on Tv. I knew I wanted it from videos on GT. Unfortunately, the new gamers the wii has brought into gaming are not the type that go to internet gaming websites to talk about games so they probably don't even know or care. These are not the type that know release dates, they walk to the store when they want a new experience and ask the store clerk for recommendation. Thus, the long legs of wii games. Also, many wii owners who are also fans of this genre also have a gaming PC or PS360, hence, the wii sales are dried up which I understand. However, this is also a justification for 3rd parties not to bring FPS games to wii.

As for other best selling ps360 titles like assassins creed, I really don't see how they could benefit from the wii's motion controls so it would boil down to graphics and power again (for things like # of people on screen) which would ultimately lead to the PS360 versions selling way more copies.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

to much arguing in this thread!