By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Reporting Someone for Piracy

The_vagabond7 said:
For a guy with a college education, you don't have much in the logic or reading comprehension department.

Let me break this down for you.

You=self righteous. You claim that you support the industry with your hard earned dollar, because you want the developers to thrive and be rewarded for their hard work.

You claim pirates are filthy criminals. They harm the industry by not supporting developers, and hurt the little guy trying to start a new studio. They are obviously douchebags that don't care, unlike you who wants the developers to succeed.

Gamestop hurts developers waaaay more than any pirates do by encouraging people to trade in their games so they can be resold, they make a tidy profit, the developer gets screwed in the ass. Gamestop=legal pirate ring

You=morally fraudulent. You don't care if gamestop is harming the industry because there is nobody to tattle to about it, nobody cares, you don't get a good feeling inside of telling the authorities that they are hurting somebody. You don't care about the industry despite your crusades to stop the bad guys. You only care about your self righteous crusade to stop people from getting things easier than you do, which just eats you up inside. Of course if they spent 50 dollars buying used games at gamestop, thusly screwing over everyone you are supposedly fighting for, you wouldn't care in the least would you? But 50 dollars for a modded X-box? Just wrong.

Second, clearly you're pissed off. You posted on my wall that I'm "the biggest douchebag on this site". I guess you did it there because if it's on the wall it's not against the rules, but if it was on this topic you'd be banned for it. And you don't want to break any rules now do you?

STOP TRYING TO CHANGE THE GOD DAMN TOPIC FROM PIRATING TO GAMESTOP!

"If you don't like me, bite me!"

Around the Network
madkiller said:
The_vagabond7 said:
For a guy with a college education, you don't have much in the logic or reading comprehension department.

Let me break this down for you.

You=self righteous. You claim that you support the industry with your hard earned dollar, because you want the developers to thrive and be rewarded for their hard work.

You claim pirates are filthy criminals. They harm the industry by not supporting developers, and hurt the little guy trying to start a new studio. They are obviously douchebags that don't care, unlike you who wants the developers to succeed.

Gamestop hurts developers waaaay more than any pirates do by encouraging people to trade in their games so they can be resold, they make a tidy profit, the developer gets screwed in the ass. Gamestop=legal pirate ring

You=morally fraudulent. You don't care if gamestop is harming the industry because there is nobody to tattle to about it, nobody cares, you don't get a good feeling inside of telling the authorities that they are hurting somebody. You don't care about the industry despite your crusades to stop the bad guys. You only care about your self righteous crusade to stop people from getting things easier than you do, which just eats you up inside. Of course if they spent 50 dollars buying used games at gamestop, thusly screwing over everyone you are supposedly fighting for, you wouldn't care in the least would you? But 50 dollars for a modded X-box? Just wrong.

Second, clearly you're pissed off. You posted on my wall that I'm "the biggest douchebag on this site". I guess you did it there because if it's on the wall it's not against the rules, but if it was on this topic you'd be banned for it. And you don't want to break any rules now do you?

STOP TRYING TO CHANGE THE GOD DAMN TOPIC FROM PIRATING TO GAMESTOP!

He's actually not changing the topic. He is attacking your argument. You said you cared about the industry. You're trying to prevent loss of revenue by turning in a single amature modder that probably isn't servicing that many people. Your "crusade" against revenue loss would be more effective if it was directed at the trading in system at Gamespot which makes a ridiculous amount of money off of a single disk.

What precisely are you trying to accomplish?

Piracy and used games are two completely different topics and have nothing to do with each other. Anyone with half a brain can easily see this.

madkiller said:
Piracy and used games are two completely different topics and have nothing to do with each other. Anyone with half a brain can easily see this.

They were separate topics until you claimed to care about the industry.

GlingGling said:
madkiller said:

They were separate topics until you claimed to care about the industry.

LMAO, whatever, I am done with you...

Around the Network
madkiller said:
McStormy1 said:
Hahaha, this thread is rediculous. I have been browsing these forums for a while now but this OP required my registration to reply to.

First off, you don't seem to have any grasp regarding the laws surrounding the issues. Even IF you did try to report this to authorities (if you do, please videotape it and upload it to youtube for the satisfaction of millions) lawyers, police and FBI would laugh at you deliriously before kicking your ass out of the office. To put it as simply as possible;

1. Modding a system is not illegal.
2. Offering knowledge that is publicly available over the internet is not illegal.
3. Offering links to free software provided it is not hosted by you is not illegal.

Everything stated within the advertisement was obviously worded by someone who understands the legal loopholes of the matter. If you were truly so concerned about the issue then why aren't you crusading against the millions of emulation sites that offer tens to hundreds of thousands of downloads a month?? In fact, speaking of which, why are these websites not yet shutdown to begin with?? They have been around for years and attract millions of visitors, surely authorities and publishers would have taken notice by now?

The reason is (aside from foreign hosting in countries with lenient copyright laws) is that there are numerous legal loopholes these individuals or businesses can exploit that effectively provides them with a license to pirate. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the legal matters surrounding the issues before you get laughed at by authorities.

Second, I do not believe that anyone deserves to have tens of millions or even more dollars in wealth regardless of what they have accomplished. As long as there are billions starving, no company CEO deserves a wealth that is effectively unlimited for generations to come. Nor do I believe that video game publishers (or the ENTERTAINMENT industry as a whole -ones providing shallow entertainment to relatively wealthy westerners) would be the first to deserve the aquisition of such immense wealth, in a time when famous humanitarians, influential speakers and revolutiuonary thinkers are paid penny's for their major contributions to society.

Actually, I never even posted what exactly the advertisement said so you cannot even begin to interpret it. Secondly, bypassing copy protection on hardware is illegal. I guess you are the one that doesn't know the laws very well. Also, the guy specificly states in the advertisement that he can mod the console to play downloaded "burned" games.

It is LEGAL to provide people with an os platform to play illegal copies of copyright material as long as that is not the exclusive/explicit function of the mod. As long as he doesn't provide illegal software out of the box, which I gather he doesn't he can claim to have offered the mod as a means to play homebrew and expand the media functionality of the system through open source modification -both legal activities. Regardless of the fact that the platform -may- be (mis)used for illegal purposes, if the explicit functionality is not advertised as being illegal in nature, then despite illegal misuse by users the responsibility no longer resides on the provider but rather the user who exploited the modifcation for purposes not explicitly advertised.

PSP modders have been using this excuse for years now and none of them have been charged thus far due to lack of criminal activity on their part. They're providing you with an "empty gun", if you're the one who loads it and ends up pulling the trigger, the legal consequences are not on them.

McStormy1 said:
madkiller said:
McStormy1 said:
Hahaha, this thread is rediculous. I have been browsing these forums for a while now but this OP required my registration to reply to.

First off, you don't seem to have any grasp regarding the laws surrounding the issues. Even IF you did try to report this to authorities (if you do, please videotape it and upload it to youtube for the satisfaction of millions) lawyers, police and FBI would laugh at you deliriously before kicking your ass out of the office. To put it as simply as possible;

1. Modding a system is not illegal.
2. Offering knowledge that is publicly available over the internet is not illegal.
3. Offering links to free software provided it is not hosted by you is not illegal.

Everything stated within the advertisement was obviously worded by someone who understands the legal loopholes of the matter. If you were truly so concerned about the issue then why aren't you crusading against the millions of emulation sites that offer tens to hundreds of thousands of downloads a month?? In fact, speaking of which, why are these websites not yet shutdown to begin with?? They have been around for years and attract millions of visitors, surely authorities and publishers would have taken notice by now?

The reason is (aside from foreign hosting in countries with lenient copyright laws) is that there are numerous legal loopholes these individuals or businesses can exploit that effectively provides them with a license to pirate. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the legal matters surrounding the issues before you get laughed at by authorities.

Second, I do not believe that anyone deserves to have tens of millions or even more dollars in wealth regardless of what they have accomplished. As long as there are billions starving, no company CEO deserves a wealth that is effectively unlimited for generations to come. Nor do I believe that video game publishers (or the ENTERTAINMENT industry as a whole -ones providing shallow entertainment to relatively wealthy westerners) would be the first to deserve the aquisition of such immense wealth, in a time when famous humanitarians, influential speakers and revolutiuonary thinkers are paid penny's for their major contributions to society.

Actually, I never even posted what exactly the advertisement said so you cannot even begin to interpret it. Secondly, bypassing copy protection on hardware is illegal. I guess you are the one that doesn't know the laws very well. Also, the guy specificly states in the advertisement that he can mod the console to play downloaded "burned" games.

It is LEGAL to provide people with an os platform to play illegal copies of copyright material as long as that is not the exclusive/explicit function of the mod. As long as he doesn't provide illegal software out of the box, which I gather he doesn't he can claim to have offered the mod as a means to play homebrew and expand the media functionality of the system through open source modification -both legal activities. Regardless of the fact that the platform -may- be (mis)used for illegal purposes, if the explicit functionality is not advertised as being illegal in nature, then despite illegal misuse by users the responsibility no longer resides on the provider but rather the user who exploited the modifcation for purposes not explicitly advertised.

PSP modders have been using this excuse for years now and none of them have been charged thus far due to lack of criminal activity on their part. They're providing you with an "empty gun", if you're the one who loads it and ends up pulling the trigger, the legal consequences are not on them.

The guy explicitly states that the purpose of his mod is to play Xbox 360 games that are downloaded from the internet and burned onto DvDs. This is highly illegal no matter how you try to interpret it.

Why don't we just let madkiller do what he wants to do.. yes he propably will be disapointed by the law.. cause they won't do a thing about.. or maybe he will return with a victory and got the kid a fine for 800.000 dollar so he has ruined the kids life forever... who knows? who cares?

go.. go report the kid.. so we can look forward to a new thread with the ending of this story..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

My two cents.
I started out thinking madkiller is doing a good thing and that calling him a snitch was bullshit. Piracy is piracy, Just because you're doing it too doesn't make it legal and just because you're scared of someone reporting you isn't an excuse for madkiller to not report the campus modder (@ bbsin). But the more I read through this thread the more madkiller is losing my respect.
Seems like he's doing this for all the wrong reasons.
And kudos to Vagabond7.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Calling someone a snitch is just a way for people that break the law try to put the attention on someone else...

??? I own a PS3 as far as I know there is no way to pirate games for it. If you rat on people you are a snitch. This is ok if you protect people from harm ( for example by ratting on dealers etc.) or if you protect yourself from bullies ... but it gets a bit weird when we are talking about "protecting" multi-million dollar corporations. Sounds more like jealousy to me. People shouldn't get for free what you pay for. Which is ok as a feeling but framing yourself as the protector of Microsoft and Co. is a bit over the top.