By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Famitsu Survey 2008 - Survey says ps3 will own this holiday (consumer)

trestres said:
Jo21 said:
Kasz216 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Kasz216 said:
Acevil said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
whatever, it's for sure that Ps3 will do well but i don't see the Ps3 outselling the Wii or even be close

My question is why do people think it will outsell DS, PSP and Wii? I mean looking at trends wouldn't one easily notice that the ps3 is currently behind the 3.

Cause... people are funny?

Much like an election that is full of several different parties, I suspect that the reason the PS3 has performed so well is because of vote splitting ...

Most people who are decent at predicting sales for Japan would have the PSP, Nintendo DS and Wii as being the best selling systems (together they hit 74.1%), and the PS3 and XBox 360 seeing lower sales. Some people always have biases and will vote for their "Favourite" system and I suspect that even in Japan there are enough PS3 fans to skew the results.

Still PS3 isn't trending any different then the Gamecube in Japan.  You'd be surprised it'd be that many people.

the gamecube didn't have 2 FF in their system 13 and versus, neither gran turismo 5,  only dragon quest 9 and maybe Mh3 have a chance of outsell those 3.

Well none of them will beat Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play, MKWii and probably SSBB in sales. Don't forget Wii Sports: Resort is also coming out, which is the sequel to the best selling console game this gen.

DQIX isn't even on the Wii, so it doesn't make sense to include it. If you want to include the DS, then your argument falls apart even faster, as there's many games that will obviously beat those you listed. Also after those games you named come out, what's the next big thing for the PS3? I mean HUGE, not just big. Like FF big.

the gamecube didn't have those either. >_>

and FF is huge in japan you like it or not.

Around the Network

If this were true, I think it would be because of wii market saturation.
But, I think the wii will still outsell the ps3 by a healthy margin.
X360 will make medium gains from last year.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

All you have to do is look at the fact that the survey included nearly as many PS3 owners as Wii owners and a high % of 360 owners as well to realize that it's entirely crap. The only interesting statistic in there is the one question of retailer expectations for which would sell the most over the holiday (it'll almost certainly be PSP or DS by the way), and that can vary by retailer anyway.

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
whatever, it's for sure that Ps3 will do well but i don't see the Ps3 outselling the Wii or even be close

Not even with an exclusive JRPG coming from the biggest selling developer in japan LEVEL 5?

mM

Yay SONY!

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
DKII said:
All you have to do is look at the fact that the survey included nearly as many PS3 owners as Wii owners and a high % of 360 owners as well to realize that it's entirely crap. The only interesting statistic in there is the one question of retailer expectations for which would sell the most over the holiday (it'll almost certainly be PSP or DS by the way), and that can vary by retailer anyway.

The retailer expectations are very neat.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

leo-j said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

Not even with an exclusive JRPG coming from the biggest selling developer in japan LEVEL 5?

Nope. I'm sure Animal Crossing will ride the holiday season. With the Wii de Asobu and Biohazard Zero, Tatsunoko x Capcom will keep software sales flowing.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

The retail survey is surprising:

Which system will sell the most this holiday? (Retailers)

PSP - 33.4%
Nintendo DS - 25.9%
PlayStation 3 - 18.5%
Wii - 14.8%
Xbox 360 - 7.4%

I guess they think White Knight Chronicles will be big. Of course, the ps3 is looking pretty good right now in Japan. It's finally getting steady releases, which is keeping sales afloat.

First it was GTA and LBP, then Way of the Samurai 3 and PES, soon WKC, then after that RE5, SFIV, and the FFXIII Demo. Sales should stay pretty high throughout the end of April.

Of course, by high I mean 15-30k with occasional spikes. Really, it's only "high" compared to what the ps3 usually sells.

And then there's this:

Which game publisher is the most popular this holiday?

Nintendo - 35%
Square Enix - 33%
Level 5 - 18%
Sega - 13%
Sony - 11%

After Dark Cloud 1/2, Dragon Quest VIII, Prof. Layton 1/2, etc., Level 5 is really moving up in the world. I have high hopes for White Knight, which is looking to be their best game yet. It should sell pretty well, especially if they slap something like "From the makers of Dragon Quest VIII!" on the back.

Of course, the only games they've actually "published" themselves would be the Layton and Izuma franchises. I suppose Japanese gamers are just looking at it from a development standpoint.

Well, in Japan it will beat the 360 without a doubt, but is WKC really enough to beat the Wii? I doubt it.
If PS3 can destroy 360 in Japan, it might have a chance of keeping its slight lead WW in 2008.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

trestres said:
Jo21 said:
Kasz216 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Kasz216 said:
Acevil said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

My question is why do people think it will outsell DS, PSP and Wii? I mean looking at trends wouldn't one easily notice that the ps3 is currently behind the 3.

Cause... people are funny?

Much like an election that is full of several different parties, I suspect that the reason the PS3 has performed so well is because of vote splitting ...

Most people who are decent at predicting sales for Japan would have the PSP, Nintendo DS and Wii as being the best selling systems (together they hit 74.1%), and the PS3 and XBox 360 seeing lower sales. Some people always have biases and will vote for their "Favourite" system and I suspect that even in Japan there are enough PS3 fans to skew the results.

Still PS3 isn't trending any different then the Gamecube in Japan.  You'd be surprised it'd be that many people.

the gamecube didn't have 2 FF in their system 13 and versus, neither gran turismo 5,  only dragon quest 9 and maybe Mh3 have a chance of outsell those 3.

Well none of them will beat Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play, MKWii and probably SSBB in sales. Don't forget Wii Sports: Resort is also coming out, which is the sequel to the best selling console game this gen.

DQIX isn't even on the Wii, so it doesn't make sense to include it. If you want to include the DS, then your argument falls apart even faster, as there's many games that will obviously beat those you listed. Also after those games you named come out, what's the next big thing for the PS3? I mean HUGE, not just big. Like FF big.

Wii Sports was bundled with every Wii outside Japan. Of course it sold well.

If Wii Sports Resort isn't bundled with consoles, it won't sell as well.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective