By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The last remnant first impressions...

Okay well I will rent it like you said Darc..I just don't want to buy crappy games.lol but I will go by what I feel and I will purchase a used copy at gamestop.

Around the Network

Yeah Xlost7, it kind of hard to describe the gameplay in detail. Renting is the best thing that I can recommend. It's nice to see a forum member that is willing to try a game for themselves for a change. Too many people let the reviewers do the thinking for them.

@MrStickball

Yeah, that is my main problem with the TLR reviews. The game is heavily penalized for technical issues present in major western titles. Those western titles did not get much if any penalties to their review score. I have played Mass Effect as much, if not more than, anyone on this forum. TLR's issues don't seem to come close to ME's.

Darc Requiem said:
Yeah Xlost7, it kind of hard to describe the gameplay in detail. Renting is the best thing that I can recommend. It's nice to see a forum member that is willing to try a game for themselves for a change. Too many people let the reviewers do the thinking for them.

@MrStickball

Yeah, that is my main problem with the TLR reviews. The game is heavily penalized for technical issues present in major western titles. Those western titles did not get much if any penalties to their review score. I have played Mass Effect as much, if not more than, anyone on this forum. TLR's issues don't seem to come close to ME's.

The problem with reviewer bias is that most reveiwers share the same bias against (or even for) several different niche genres.  When reveiwers dislike certian genre's (SRPG for example) these types of games don't get the same type of mainstream exposure that another (generic FPS) will get, and thus this will limit the development of some truly enjoyable games.

Not to mention that poor user reviews may be hurting JRPG fans from jumping in at all, for any game thus far.

No JRPG - Playstation, Wii, or X360 has really done inordinately well in the West, except for Lost Odyssey (and still, it's not a million seller). I think part of it may be that reviewers are slamming nearly every game, which may hurt perception of the genre. Despite some games being mediocre, the fact is, many are great.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@ Darc

No problem bro, I just love RPG's. They keep me into gaming, I don't like them to long either, but the stories is what keeps me going and that character in the last remnant looks pretty cool!

On a side note is the story any good, just to let you know I'm not trying to compare this game to final fantasy.lol

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Not to mention that poor user reviews may be hurting JRPG fans from jumping in at all, for any game thus far.

No JRPG - Playstation, Wii, or X360 has really done inordinately well in the West, except for Lost Odyssey (and still, it's not a million seller). I think part of it may be that reviewers are slamming nearly every game, which may hurt perception of the genre. Despite some games being mediocre, the fact is, many are great.

Well, games like LO, Blue Dragon, Valkyria Chronicles, and ToV got good reviews pretty much across the board.  So the perception for those games shouldn't be negative.  I personally think JRPGs are gradually becoming a niche genre whereas MMORPGs and western RPGs are gaining in popularity because they offer more diversity and a more wide open gameplay experience.  Don't get me wrong, I still love JRPGs, but at the same time I can understand why a lot of JRPG fans are migrating over to western RPGs and MMORPGs.

JRPGs are already a niche genre. They always have been, unless you are referring to Japan.

Definatly looks like an interesting game. I have to try it for my self.

4 ≈ One