By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The last remnant first impressions...

I've noticed that as you level up certain "normal" enemies also scale up their difficulty to match your level.. I was surprised by this when running across an early map only to get pwned by a mob of monsters I first battled when I was wee n00b... I'm currently battle rank 40+

Bosses and rare monsters don't seem to scale up so you can grind away to your hearts content before you take them down..

Around the Network

Well I'm sorry, but TLR's developped by SE, and we're in 2008,... This is not acceptable today! I played it at a friend's and it's booooring and also horrible. I know it's a rpg but god!

Tremble said:
Well I'm sorry, but TLR's developped by SE, and we're in 2008,... This is not acceptable today! I played it at a friend's and it's booooring and also horrible. I know it's a rpg but god!

I think I can sum up your opinion as "technical issues prevent me from enjoying what might could of been an excellent JRPG" or is that not it.

No... it's just that SE made quality rpg's and now we have a mediocre one with heavy technical issues... Sorry, but i don't accept that.

I'm getting more excited about the game. Why? Ogre Battle style gameplay. The last Ogre Battle game was Ogre Battle 64. Thanks for the impressing Bingoo. If the technical issues aren't as bad as Mass Effects, I know I'll really like this game.

@Tremble

You do realize that this is Square Enix's first internally developed HD game right? TLR most likely sprung up as a result of the difficulty of FFXIII's development. I pretty sure SE thought that FFXIII would be launching around this time and the game looks to be at least year away. FFXIII is launching when vsXIII was expected to launch.

Around the Network
Tremble said:
No... it's just that SE made quality rpg's and now we have a mediocre one with heavy technical issues... Sorry, but i don't accept that.

I understand if you don't like a game; everyone is entitled to their own opinion, for sure.  I just wonder how you can call this game mediocre, outside of the technical issues, when you only played it at a friends house.

I own the game and have maybe put 2 or 3 hours in it; and my feelings on it are somewhere between your's and the op's.  Story starts to draw me in and the depth of things you can do seems enticing (mystic arts, combat arts, other things hinted at by the shops that aren't open yet in the first town), but the techinical issues have put me off.  I don't think they are terrible, but there IS slowdown in almost every battle.  This lack of fluidity, IMO takes away from the otherwise immersing gameplay.

The real problem, though, is the release window.  I have Left 4 Dead, Gears 2 multiplayer and Fallout 3 all battling for my attention over TLR.  Right now, TLR is losing and that's a shame because I really want to like it.  I'm hoping after I put a couple more hours into it, that it well hold my attention the way Lost Oddessy did (LO was severly under-rated IMO).

Well I played it for 4 hours, not 30 minutes, so I have a good vision of the game. I dunno what's "wrong" with american/english reviews, but in france, the game has been killed. One of the reviewer said on "gamekult, l'émission" something like:

"I'm tired of these over hyped rpg's that are supposed to be great, and finally are mediocre. But as we have nothing else to play (rpg's), we have to deal with it. If you wanna play good rpg's, buy a ps2, and get all the rpg's you missed, you'll have for money, they're far better than what we find on HD console..."

I'm sorry but the guy is right. LO was mediocre, blue dragon was awfull, TB boring, TLR is mediocre too, WKC will probably be average too. I love rpg's, I played a lot of them, but the actual production is just average...

This game is a total let down to me.

What's with these cities made of seperate and tiny parts?
What's with the lifeless npcs that have NOTHING to say, and just sit around all day long?
What's with the dungeons made of short and straight corridors?
What's with the s%$tload of loadings?

I don't know what's going on with JRPG these days, but I'll stick with the 16 and 32-bit era.

I wonder how many people attacking the technical issues used the NXE install...

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
I wonder how many people attacking the technical issues used the NXE install...

Is there any improvement using the HDD install?

Anyway the game design is lacking in my opinion, I don't really care about textures being late and stuff...