By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony has already passed on a huge price cut to EU/Others (in effect)

They didnt give ME a price cut they just got a price cut I am the consumer and I want to pay LESS bottom line, the world economy is not my issue

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Around the Network

well after this explanation i bet people will see the light.... i just want know why would anyone care???? i mean, i have little money so i couldnt buy a ps3 before, but now my currency is weak and i get pay the same (which means am paid relatively less now) and i still have to pay 400 for the ps3, but none of that matters cus the thing is cheaper in japan..... YUPIIIIIIII

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

the same for MS, but wait they cut the real price too! damn them

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

The yen problem is killing Sony and most of Japan's export economy. Sony targets a 104 yen per dollar rate in their financials. The current exchange is 95 yen to the dollar. Sony has revealed that every yen gain to the dollar will cost them 40 million dollars in revenue (this figure is for the entire financial year).

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

To all the people who says it doesn't matter to them.
Of course it doesn't, but that is not the point. The point is, that while you are paying the same in your currency, Sony isn't getting the amount of profit it did in the past, which is why they can't afford to make a price cut, which is what everybody wants. From Sony's perspective this comes down to losses or even greater losses, in a time where their losses are already way too high.

Around the Network
goddog said:
the same for MS, but wait they cut the real price too! damn them

^ The problem for MS, the prices in the US are actually higher than in UK. This might be the first time this has ever happened in the history of consumer electronics products.... Maybe they weren't anticipating the sudden weakening in the Pound and the Euro and went too far with their cuts....

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

Nobody cares. Both the 360 and the PS3 are put together in Taiwan (most likely) both have similar components from IBM/NVIDIA etc.

So nobody cares about the Yen vs. the Euro. If Microsoft can sell the 360 for 180 Euro its pretty idiotic from Sony to ask 400E even for a far better version.

It really seems that they want to loose this gen.

Kyros said:
Nobody cares. Both the 360 and the PS3 are put together in Taiwan (most likely) both have similar components from IBM/NVIDIA etc.

So nobody cares about the Yen vs. the Euro. If Microsoft can sell the 360 for 180 Euro its pretty idiotic from Sony to ask 400E even for a far better version.

It really seems that they want to loose this gen.

Both gadgets are manufactured in China (and again, Sony uses some of its own components "manufactured in Yen"). MS can afford to sell at the chosen price because they can easily ofset the heavy manufacturing losses from very highly profitable departments within the division. Sony does not have that luxury.

The same goes for USA, as the dollar is also down.

I wonder if anyone read the article I wrote in the front page about the exact same thing?

Put this together with lower consumer appetite and Sony is going to get hammered this fiscal year. If things continue this way, Sony will be a smaller company by the end of the recession/depression.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
The same goes for USA, as the dollar is also down.

I wonder if anyone read the article I wrote in the front page about the exact same thing?

Put this together with lower consumer appetite and Sony is going to get hammered this fiscal year. If things continue this way, Sony will be a smaller company by the end of the recession/depression.

As long as they keep their gaming division intact, then I can live with Sony decreasing its size.