By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - High Definition Wii ?

People seem to think games can be made in 720p, and look good in that format, but somehow still run on old Wiis...just simply output in 420p.

IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT!

In order for a game to look any good in 720p, it needs all the filters, textures, etc, that will allow a game to hold up in HD.

Nintendo and 3rd parties would have to make 2 completely different versions of every game they sell, different effects, different textures, etc. It's a developer's nightmare, and the worst marketing idea I've ever heard of. It'll never happen.

A Wii HD would come out in 4 or 5 years I'd wager...but it'd be a totally separate system, probably with backwards compatibility.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

This story is pointless and rehashed. This argument can never be taken seiously, PS2 had the weakest graphics last gen and absolutely destroyed the competition. These posts are pure wishfull thinking.

I think there's no reason to release a new Wii that outputs in HD, because I believe the Wii has enough power to go up to 720p if it needs to (xbox 1 did, and it was less powerful). I have read articles that state the only thing limiting output resolution to 480p is firmware. If it becomes that important, I think nintendo could figure out a way to upgrade the firmware and make HD an option.

Either way, this argument is pointless.

AsylumX said:
In gametrailers.com there is a section call bonus round... in episode 2 when they where talking about the wii... patcher said that certain game would never appear on the wii... and he asked a guy that works at sierra if the would ever released the godfather on the wii... and he says that it would never happen...

That is a great example of how clueless he is about the current console market... where anything can happen...

Isn't Godfather produced by EA? EA already released Godfather for the Wii, and Godfather 2 could be heading that way as well.

I wouldn't think much of Patcher. He predicted that the Sega Saturn would win back in the day. If that were true, then I wouldn't be out of a job.

Play Sega Saturn!!!

My Music Video

My History

The combination of primarily Gamecube and PS2 ports on the Wii means that its graphics are already far below the PS3 or XBox 360s graphics and yet it outsells both systems combined ... In 18 months when the Wii really starts to hit its stride with a massive quanitity of high quality third party games it is suddenly going to seem gimicky and old compared to the PS3 and XBox 360 and stop selling?

What people never seem to understand is that third party support is linked directly to sales (not processing power); by the time the PS3 and XBox 360 hit a price where customers will consider their platform the Wii will have captured such a dominant marketshare that third parties will be focusing all their efforts on the Wii. The higher processing power and lack of Wiimote controlls will act as a negative for the PS3 and XBox 360 because developers will doubt the can produce worthwhile ports for a reasonable price (after all they would have to dramatically improve the graphics), reconsider the entire control scheme, all for a tiny portion of the market.

HappySqurriel said:

The combination of primarily Gamecube and PS2 ports on the Wii means that its graphics are already far below the PS3 or XBox 360s graphics and yet it outsells both systems combined ... In 18 months when the Wii really starts to hit its stride with a massive quanitity of high quality third party games it is suddenly going to seem gimicky and old compared to the PS3 and XBox 360 and stop selling?

When wii hits its stride.

You really think when wii hits its stride it wil be any close to Ps3/360 graphics then they are now, in 18 months it will be way farther then they are now. 

Around the Network

No. GAH!@

He said, the graphics on the Wii are way worse than PS3 and 360 games...but most Wii games right now are GC and PS2 ports.

In a year or so, the Wii will have some very high quality games, much better than any GC or PS2 game...he didn't say their graphics would be as good as the 360 or PS3...that's not what we're saying.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Killzone3 said:
HappySqurriel said:

When wii hits its stride.

You really think when wii hits its stride it wil be any close to Ps3/360 graphics then they are now, in 18 months it will be way farther then they are now. 

1. People buy the system which has the games they desire
  2. The system with the most games has the most games that people desire
  3. The system with the largest userbase attracts the most games

By March 31st 2008 the Wii will have outsold the XBox 360 and PS3 combined worldwide, and by January 1st 2009 the Wii will have outsold the PS3 and XBox 360 combined in every region. From that point on the Wii will be $100+ less expensive than the XBox 360 and PS3, and have (a lot) more games so why are people going to buy the PS3 or XBox 360?

This has got to be the most asinine rumor in the industry right now. It's just a way for people to lick their wounds and grumble about the Wii's success. They feel a little better when they can rally around something like "Oh it won't last" or "A new one will be out in 2 years because after all everyone has HD TVs and everyone with an HD TV will never buy a Wii." I love that one especially considering on this forum a lot of people play their Wiis on HD TVs (me included) and don't own a PS3 or a 360.

BenKenobi88 said:
People seem to think games can be made in 720p, and look good in that format, but somehow still run on old Wiis...just simply output in 420p.

Games could be made for 480p and still look better rendered at 720p - a lot better than any scaler could make them look. This happens all the time on PCs, and all it takes is an improved graphics card, with a faster fillrate and a bigger framebuffer. Not going to happen, not because it's impossible, but because that's not how the market works.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Maybe Nintendo will go the gameboy route and keep the Wii going for 10 years. Sure the other systems will likely have successors by then but as long as Nintendo is making money it doesn't matter.