By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Lair, a different opinion after EGM's review?

Kber; Protip, Factor 5 made Lair, not Level 5

And I agree with twesterm. The same fanboys who lulled at Wii scores are now throwing a shit fit when an overhyped game proves to be just that, an overhyped game.

I really can't see how these scores are shocking. RSIII sucked hardcore because of the lame ground battles, and it looks like they actually made them worse in Lair. Furthermore, impressions of Lair demos from reviewers that aren't lovehandshakes complained of iffy controls and confusing objectives. Funny that some people claim EGM only had issues with the controls when they actually had all sorts of problems.

But since some of you forget, EGM said lair is bad because;
1. Horrid controls
2. Awful targeting system
3. Objectives that aren't clear in the least
4. Confined by invisible walls, despite the large size of the levels

Does that sound like they gave the game a 5.5 on the basis of controls alone?

(there are even more little issues here and there, but those where their main points)

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
wangfoo said:
Just a thought - it seems like the complaint is that the motion controls are tacked on. Accurate or not, they don't add anything but unwanted soreness.

well accordint to ign

"his temporarily stuns the Mokai defences, giving you a few precious seconds to target the steam cannons, by flying in close and grabbing the turrets in the dragon's claws, then shaking the SIXAXIS to tear the building apart.

Like the power generator attack in the night mission, it's a neat application of the SIXAXIS controls and adds a visceral edge to the gameplay, plus it helps to bring the players closer to the action. Indeed, Sony is so adamant that Lair is an "advert" for the SIXAXIS controller - the words of SCEE producer Dan Maher - that there's no option to fly the dragon using the analogue sticks. "We've done a lot of focus testing to get the SIXAXIS controls just right", explains Maher. "Initially we were aiming to perfect one type of controls, but quickly realised people play in different ways and therefore introduced sliding sensitivity." As a result, Lair is surprisingly easy to pick up and play, and piloting your dragon in the heat of a battle - with swarms of enemies bombarding you from every angle - becomes simple with practice. They're responsive too, and moves such as the quick 180-degree turn, executed by jolting the pad up, means that dogfighting soon becomes second nature."

see they say its great and completely opposite to the term tacked on cause they were developing the game specifically for motion controls.

and Killzone3 if you barely heard of the magazine before why did you just say "Egm sucks thats a fact"?
and gamepro?... read a few more posts up and youll see why i dont trust them about lair.. i do trust ign though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

iclim4 said:

and Killzone3 if you barely heard of the magazine before why did you just say "Egm sucks thats a fact"?
and gamepro?... read a few more posts up and youll see why i dont trust them about lair.. i do trust ign though.

egm is 1up, thats why its a fact that they suck.

so is thise youre killer app ps3 blinded fans?? now what heavenly sword it looks ok but in gameplay wise not really

Killzone3 said:
iclim4 said:

and Killzone3 if you barely heard of the magazine before why did you just say "Egm sucks thats a fact"?

egm is 1up, thats why its a fact that they suck.

huh?. i dont quite follow?. im getting an idea that theyre bias against the ps3?. if its not too much trouble can you show me links of other ps3 games they scored?.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network

Funny, this is so Wii:

"Victoria's family, lead by my 83-year old grandfather in law, was able to pick up Lair in less than 5 inutes, to fly around with the dragon and to play the first mission of the game.That experience right there beats anything that the reviewers can say."

Now when will some XBox guys claim that their 99 year old grandgrandma (and obviously the whole family of about 100) gathered at Xmas, picked up halo 3 and blasted some alien head with the oh so intuitive controls just before having a nice sing along.

Cause you know, Halo is for families.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

I always thought it would be an average game with good graphics and cool concept, but not a system seller. It could be what Red Steel is to Wii owners. A game, despite its flaws, that's appreciated for what it is. I'd be willing to bet it gets better reviews than RS due to the graphics and the fact that it wasn't rushed for launch.

It won't be a Game of the Year candidate, but it won't be terrible. Like with Red Steel, you may have to step away from the hype to really appreciate it.

Current systems owned: Wii, 360. I'll get a PS3 when hell freezes over!... or when the price drops to a reasonable level. Whichever comes first.

your mother said:
AllAll said:
your mother said:
AllAll said:
Lair is a 9 for those that get the motion controls, a 5 for those that don't get em.

EGm/1up is NOt a place the gets motion controls, just watch their show its plain as day.

This very same argument (some get the motion controls, some don't) can be used for every single Wii game review out there that utilizes motion controls!

So... is it something I'm missing, or is the Wii's motion-sensing hate simply unfounded all this time?

But thats what the wii does, they wont whine about a lack of analog stick controls on a wii game. That would way to retarded.

One of the complaints about the Lair controls i read from a official review is "it makes you move your arms to much for such a long game" serioulsy wow.

Isn't that about as retarded as complaining about the PS3's motion controls because it comes with motion control?

The Wii does have an analog stick, you know...

complaining about motion controls is likecomplaining about microtransactions.  it can be done well, but most dont.  if its controversial it tends to be knocked down as well. devs are learning but gamers still arent happy with them yet.  in time they will improve but for now we will have to deal with them.

As for this game i expected a rift, but man is that rift big.  we have no idea whether the rift is from sony paying them off (not suggesting anything about sony, more of how our insider industry works) or it could be that some loved the control scheme while others hated it.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

@everyone: just chill and wait for more reviews. Or play the game yourself. personally, there is this one nigerian game magazine that I really trust and only if they review it well will i get the game.

so its the same like kber81. he has his trusted source that over the years he got reconfirmed that they are closest to his taste. so he will wait for that review before emailing Herrn Julian.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
Funny, this is so Wii:

"Victoria's family, lead by my 83-year old grandfather in law, was able to pick up Lair in less than 5 inutes, to fly around with the dragon and to play the first mission of the game.That experience right there beats anything that the reviewers can say."

Now when will some XBox guys claim that their 99 year old grandgrandma (and obviously the whole family of about 100) gathered at Xmas, picked up halo 3 and blasted some alien head with the oh so intuitive controls just before having a nice sing along.

Cause you know, Halo is for families.

hey even if i was an 83 year old man, i would still love to play me some dragons..