By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Lair, a different opinion after EGM's review?

Dodece said:
I remember a few years back the staff at EGM rating Star Wars Galaxies for the PC. This was a game I was playing and enjoying. They gave it a pretty harsh review. They had valid points. However some of the things they saw as negatives were things I saw as positives. Were they wrong no they were not, but I had to accept that our tastes differed. Especially since the genre was not something they were fans of to begin with. The review was very biased towards a console player viewpoint. Which is not would I would have liked the game to have been.

Ar you sure it was EGM? I don't think they've ever reviewed a PC game.

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
Some of the people in this thread giving Lair such a hard time are the same ones that talk about reviews not being important in the grand scheme of things.

Seriously, you guys just need to lay off this one game. Maybe if this was the only thing Sony had coming out for months, but none of you have played the game, and many of you don't even want to give it a chance. It is pretty pathetic when a lot of you WANT this game to be BAD. That is the definition of a fanboy.

What did you expect to happen?

Triple fans lambast the Wii for bad/inconsistent reviews, as well as "8.8". Then an overhyped PS3 title recieves intially bad reviews. 

I just can't imagine what will happen if KZ2 bombs.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Well looking on the bright side, the price cut is moving systems even if this game doesn't.

I have read some reviews from people that played the game at the San Diego Comic Con and most people absolutely loved the game .There is a thing with the controls ,tough ,you must play the Tutorial to play properly and learn how to play .But once done everyone says the game is just jaw-dropping .EGM just hates intensely anything related to motion-control so this can explain something about their review .They didnt play the tutorial ,found difficulties playing and happily put the "failure " label into it without going deeper .

Apparently Edge will give it a 9 and Game Informer (the ones more reliable for me ) a 9.5 ....IGN and Gamespot rankings will be more probably around the 8 and 9 ......we will see if this EGM score is a rarity or if IGN or Gamespot jump into the controls bashing and put some shadow over this game .

For now I keep faith in Factor 5 ,this is their favourite genre and they have had many time to finish the game (it was going to be a march release remember it ) so it should be at least a very very good game .

Diomedes1976 said:
I have read some reviews from people that played the game at the San Diego Comic Con and most people absolutely loved the game .There is a thing with the controls ,tough ,you must play the Tutorial to play properly and learn how to play .But once done everyone says the game is just jaw-dropping .EGM just hates intensely anything related to motion-control so this can explain something about their review .They didnt play the tutorial ,found difficulties playing and happily put the "failure " label into it without going deeper .

Apparently Edge will give it a 9 and Game Informer (the ones more reliable for me ) a 9.5 ....IGN and Gamespot rankings will be more probably around the 8 and 9......we will see if this EGM score is a rarity or if IGN or Gamespot jump into the controls bashing and put some shadow over this game .

For now I keep faith in Factor 5 ,this is their favourite genre and they have had many time to finish the game (it was going to be a march release remember it ) so it should be at least a very very good game .

LOL

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
Apparently Edge will give it a 9 and Game Informer (the ones more reliable for me ) a 9.5 ....IGN and Gamespot rankings will be more probably around the 8 and 9 ......we will see if this EGM score is a rarity or if IGN or Gamespot jump into the controls bashing and put some shadow over this game .

I hate to tell you this but Edge didn't give it a 9 (the review scores for their latest issue are now on the net and Lair wasn't reviewed...).

The only verified scores we have for the game:

90% from Play Magazine 
75% from Gamepro
55% from Electronic Gaming Monthly

Since Play Magazine is notorious for giving high scores and Gamepro is also pretty easy on review scores I suspect that the game will get about a 6 or 7 from Edge.  Game Informer might be a little more lenient and possibly give it a little higher (~7.8).  But those are just guesses I have based on their previous scores for other games.

I just have to also add that this is funny seeing Sony fanboys now complain about motion control hating reviewers slamming a PS3 game because it has motion control. Those reviewers were doing a fine job when it was the Wii's hyped games being slammed but not so much anymore apparantly.

As to the review itself, yes it's biased and low simply due to motion controls. I agree the game seems like a 7.0-7.5 affair since there is more wrong than just a reviewer who can't stand motion controls. It still seems to be a worthwhile game though, just not one I would include in the same breath as Halo 3, MP3, Mass Effect, and SMG.

I suspect IGN and Gamespot won't have reviews for this gam up until week of release so it's gonna be a long wait to find out what it got....lame.

I still think the biggest mistake was making this motion only... why would Factor 5 do this? Give the player the option to play it either way.

Also, I haven't heard anything but I'm hoping Mario Kart can be played both normally or with motion cause I would definitely prefer the latter (judging from the kart mini game on MP 8 among others).

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:

I still think the biggest mistake was making this motion only... why would Factor 5 do this? Give the player the option to play it either way.

I totally agree. It's really strange. I hope for a patch or something Anyway I decided to buy this game - if it will disappoint me (I doubt it) there is still awesome soundtrack.

ckmlb said:
I suspect IGN and Gamespot won't have reviews for this gam up until week of release so it's gonna be a long wait to find out what it got....lame.

Also, I haven't heard anything but I'm hoping Mario Kart can be played both normally or with motion cause I would definitely prefer the latter (judging from the kart mini game on MP 8 among others).

I imagine if Lair does take a lot of heat for being motion only, the Mariokart team will definately give players the option.