By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analysis: First week CoD WaW Wii major flop, Medal of Honor breaks 500k

I would say that you have to start seeing it as a rule rather than an exception.

Oh, and i meant that for the Wii version only. the HD consoles are a different matter.

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

Around the Network

I recon sales are about 100 000 at least? Why? I just think that most of the Wii owners are not that concerned with Online Gaming at the moment, it just does not that important for the majority. 18k at the moment seems pretty good considering usual online offerings of the Wii.

I think the ratio will be 1:10
so it sold ~170,000

This game was never expected to have a "HUGE" opening on the Wii. People who buy shooters on day one generally do not own a Wii. Also, many of the Wii owners that do like shooter also own a system that has a better version of CoD:World at War (PC/360/PS3).

The best way to estimate is to look at previous sales of Wii WWII shooters:
- CoD3 51k NA week 1 (2006)
- MoH:H2 33K NA Week 1 (2007)
- Brothers in Arms: Double Time 3k NA Week 1 (2008)

CoD3 was a launch game, so the sales are a bit exaggerated. More recently, 007:QoS had a 33k NA launch. (similar to MoH). CoD is a bigger game, and sales should be a bit better that that. So I would estimate:

NA - 40-50k
Others - 30-40k

First week totals: 70-90k (100k possible)

This game will not sell close to the other versions of the game. Does that mean it bombed or is a flop? I guess that is up to personal interpretation, and your expectation of first week sales.

I think the, somewhat sad, reality is, is that Wii owners who care about fragging people online already have a PS3/360/PC for that and would sooner buy CoDWaW for those systems for A) Better graphics and B) Way better online (more people, more content).

Someone would have to be a Wii only owner or Wii and low end/laptop PC owner so that Wii is the only option for thier CoD thrills to purchase the game. FPS fans love their graphics and frankly the Wii CoD while the online experience is lag free and lots of fun it's also very limited compared to even what 6 year old FPS games offer.

I think Conduit will sell better as it's Wii exclusive and IF it's good then people will buy it for their Wii. I think everyone would like at least one great FPS for Wii. Conduit will fill that market as it's the only Wii exclusive FPS and offers great visuals and 16 player online, lots of modes (according to claims) with WiiSpeak support. It's the one to get, not CoDWaW which is better elsewhere. (although Red Steel 2 could prove to be a better offering than Conduit)

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Mummelmann said:
Who cares anyway? CoD World at War is by far the weakest in the series imo, even worse than CoD 3. I had hoped, after playing it, that it'd flop on all platforms so the dev's would be forced to get their act together for CoD 5.
There's a whole list of grievances I could make (and I will if anyone wants me to).

Maybe it's just me, but I would find it to be pretty damning of the Wii as a console that can move good 3rd party games if it can't even move 1/10th of the units the X360/PS3 will sell on Week-1.

Even if it's a bad Call of Duty (of course, it's Tetryarch so it's expected), it's still a Call of Duty game. That's like expecting Final Fantasy XIII to bomb on the Wii if it was a day & date launch with the other versions, but a bad FF game overall.

*If* the Wii version cannot manage to sell within 50% of the Playstation 3 version, I will gladly put in my sig that the Wii cannot sell 3rd party games to a 'core' audience.

False.

mrstickball said:
Mummelmann said:
Who cares anyway? CoD World at War is by far the weakest in the series imo, even worse than CoD 3. I had hoped, after playing it, that it'd flop on all platforms so the dev's would be forced to get their act together for CoD 5.
There's a whole list of grievances I could make (and I will if anyone wants me to).

Maybe it's just me, but I would find it to be pretty damning of the Wii as a console that can move good 3rd party games if it can't even move 1/10th of the units the X360/PS3 will sell on Week-1.

Even if it's a bad Call of Duty (of course, it's Tetryarch so it's expected), it's still a Call of Duty game. That's like expecting Final Fantasy XIII to bomb on the Wii if it was a day & date launch with the other versions, but a bad FF game overall.

*If* the Wii version cannot manage to sell within 50% of the Playstation 3 version, I will gladly put in my sig that the Wii cannot sell 3rd party games to a 'core' audience.

Everyone that gives some attention to stats knows Wii sells more third party software in total volume than the other consoles. Also Wii games tend to be much less frontloaded than the HD console ones. Even if (and I highly doubt that) CoD:WaW will only sell 1/10th of the HD games it will overtime be much less than that. Don't forget there's a fanbase on the PS360 for CoD that's not on Wii.
Core audience is purely subjective and can therefore not be used as a measurement. Every game that sells over 4 million does per definition not appeal to "hardcore gamers" alone, so CoD also appeals to the casual gamer.

mrstickball said:
Mummelmann said:

Whoa! Easy there, partner. Let's...let's not do anything crazy now...somethings just aren't worth it man...

Knock yourself out, sport.

Gamerace said:
I think the, somewhat sad, reality is, is that Wii owners who care about fragging people online already have a PS3/360/PC for that and would sooner buy CoDWaW for those systems for A) Better graphics and B) Way better online (more people, more content).

Someone would have to be a Wii only owner or Wii and low end/laptop PC owner so that Wii is the only option for thier CoD thrills to purchase the game. FPS fans love their graphics and frankly the Wii CoD while the online experience is lag free and lots of fun it's also very limited compared to even what 6 year old FPS games offer.

I think Conduit will sell better as it's Wii exclusive and IF it's good then people will buy it for their Wii. I think everyone would like at least one great FPS for Wii. Conduit will fill that market as it's the only Wii exclusive FPS and offers great visuals and 16 player online, lots of modes (according to claims) with WiiSpeak support. It's the one to get, not CoDWaW which is better elsewhere. (although Red Steel 2 could prove to be a better offering than Conduit)

Good post. I'd add one reason why you'd get the Wii version over the others, though, and that's controls. Still, lots of folks prefer graphics to controls, so you're on target.

BMaker11 said:

False.

Does that work out to be a double-negative, or was that just crappy editing? You decide!

Chrizum said:
xlost7 said:
I figured that. Medal of Honor Heroes has a standing ground on the Wii. Every since the release I figured Medal of Honor would be the only WWII FPS that would make good use of the Wii. I haven't played the game yet. But I can tell buy reviews that Medal of Honor Heroes is better than Call of Duty: World at War Wii version.

Having played both, I can tell World at War is much, much better than Medal of Honor in the multiplayer department. Graphics and sound are about equal, but World at War's online multiplayer is really good.

That's why I'm so disappointed most Wii owners are seemingly ignoring this game, probably thinking it's another bad PS2 port, which it isn't.

I would give World at War the edge in the graphics department - even with Medal of Honor running a 60fps with tons of bloom.  The models look a lot better in the former and it has a much grittier look all around that's a bit more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.  I agree that WaW crushes MOHH2 in multiplayer hands down - even without 32-players.

I don't think the game flopped as big as you think it did.  Of course, I'm not doing any of the analysis that you've done with the number of online accounts. 

How much do you guys think would be a reasonable amount of copies sold for the Wii version?