By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analysis: First week CoD WaW Wii major flop, Medal of Honor breaks 500k

c0rd said:
Legend11 said:
Every time someone creates a thread asking if the Wii could be a threat to the 360 and PS3 by possibly taking away their core gamers I think of sales of games like CoD: WaW and laugh.

I think people are missing the point. The Wii version is not the same as the PS3/360 versions - it's the inferior port, because for this type of game, HD graphics and better online are valued more than the motion controls. It's like comparing PC games vs ports to consoles - like The Sims, Half-Life, or even Starcraft. People didn't buy consoles for these games, so they will remain king on the PC, the platform they're designed for.

The same is true for HD consoles. An FPS designed with HD consoles (and their users) in mind will not do as well on the Wii. In that sense, these games are "safe" from the Wii, along with many others. However, this won't apply to all games. The most obvoius difference will be in the Japanese support.

I disagree. I grew up a PC gamer. Until about 3 years ago I laughed hard at you console guys. I still do sometimes when it comes to graphics. But I bought a Wii because of the controls. For RTS or FPS or anything that requires real precision the Wiimote is the most accurate duplicate of the mouse, and is some ways even surpasses it. For me the Wii covers one end of the spectrum- the controls and local multiplayer, while my PC blows the doors off the graphics of any PS360 game released for it, which most of the ones I'm interested are. Sure some day I will buy a 360, but I have yet to see a huge benefit, especially since I have a job and can never even keep up with the long list of Wii and PC games coming out.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Around the Network

i bought and know 1 person that has it and 3 that will. Also I have a hard time believing this because at my local eb they sold out on day 1, and got another shipment 2 days later. Also the PS3 version didnt sell out, so maybe its a supply constraint or something. 60k doesnt seem too bad considering wii games legs.

Support good third party games on wii. Buy games like house of the dead overkill, de blob, madworld, the conduit and boom blox.

Chrizum vindicated.

CoD: WaW Wii first week EU sales at 17k

HD consoles combined for 800k.

lolxD

DMJ - And according to ioi, NA sales on the X360 alone are going to be around 800,000.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

KylieDog said:
No More Heroes may have been Suda 51s best game, but it sold like garbage considering how good people rate it.

It only made profit (apparently) since the game was pretty crap. Wasn't much effort put into any of it, except the bosses.

Not only was it sudas best game but it was his best seller. Idiot.

And I heard that straight from an IGN podcast not just an estimate, probabnly NPD numbers.

Support good third party games on wii. Buy games like house of the dead overkill, de blob, madworld, the conduit and boom blox.

Around the Network

I'm not too excited that I was correct so far. I really hoped I was wrong, since this game is awesome.

America sales should be in the 35k - 45k range.

Chrizum was right... the game didn't do too well at all on Wii.

But I don't think this is the proper barometer to use in regards to core game sells - the Wii version being woefully inferior to the HD versions. People who own a Wii60 or a PSWii will go for the HD version. I think it's safe to assume that the vast majority of people buying the Wii version are Wii only folks.

OK, Im keeping ignoring this thread because this is another flops threads and after weeks or months we didnt make a topic about it that it sells *cough* Boom Blox *cough* *cough* De Blob *cough* but I want to share my say on this since this is bumped.

JUST WAIT OK? Just wait... Do you think Quantum of Solace Wii bombed? NO, it sells that it sell for a profit.

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=21877®ion=All

80,000 so far on its second week, not including the 3rd week in NA.

Most Wii games sell on legs, not by blockbuster do you all really think that somehow COD WAW could sell for atleast more than 100,000-200,000 in its first week? LOL, after the hype and ads only given to PS360 versions do you all really think that the Wii version will sell even with the fraction of PS360 versions? LOL just wait... OK?

Just to let you know, the Wi Fi server crashed last week because the server cant keep up with the gamers playing online so they fix it. 3000 players playing online in 3 days do you believe that? Im reading gamefaqs so I know...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Why are people using Call of Duty: World at War as a barometer for how FPS games will sell on the Wii. It makes no sense. Do you guys think that core Wii gamers are unintelligent and do not know about IGN, 1up, Gamespy, or Gamespot. You are wrong. Core gamers know what games are good and which are not. No core gamer on the Wii wants to buy a gimped version of a game. If Activision wanted Call of Duty: World at War to sell well on the Wii then they would have made sure that it had all the modes that the other games had. But since it did not, I do not feel ashamed that the game did not sell well. It did not deserve to sell well nor should Activision be rewarded for their lack of effort. If Activision uses Call of Duty: World at War sales as a reason to stop developing Call of Duty games for the Wii. That is fine. There efforts have been so poor thus far that they will not be missed.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

patjuan32 said:
Why are people using Call of Duty: World at War as a barometer for how FPS games will sell on the Wii. It makes no sense. Do you guys think that core Wii gamers are unintelligent and do not know about IGN, 1up, Gamespy, or Gamespot. You are wrong. Core gamers know what games are good and which are not. No core gamer on the Wii wants to buy a gimped version of a game. If Activision wanted Call of Duty: World at War to sell well on the Wii then they would have made sure that it had all the modes that the other games had. But since it did not, I do not feel ashamed that the game did not sell well. It did not deserve to sell well nor should Activision be rewarded for their lack of effort. If Activision uses Call of Duty: World at War sales as a reason to stop developing Call of Duty games for the Wii. That is fine. There efforts have been so poor thus far that they will not be missed.

I agree.  I think the Conduit would be a better game to guage the FPS market on Wii - it's built from the ground up on the platform and won't have a superior sku on the HD systems to compete with. 

With that said, I expect CoD:WaW Wii to have legs and do well.  At least 300k in the Americas.  That alone would make porting the engine worth it and provide a decent enough return to fund of CoD6 for Wii. 

This game is in no way a bomb the same way Resistance 2 is a bomb on the PS3.