By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analysis: First week CoD WaW Wii major flop, Medal of Honor breaks 500k

Plenty of hardcore games sell on Wii.

Really? Care for a short definition of hardcore? Or for a definition of "sell"? I won't try to argue too much though if Bobbuffalo actually defends 60k first-week for a Call of Duty game (a whopping 3% of the HD versions) you really know that arguments are not important.

Around the Network
Kyros said:
Plenty of hardcore games sell on Wii.

Really? Care for a short definition of hardcore? Or for a definition of "sell"? I won't try to argue too much though if Bobbuffalo actually defends 60k first-week for a Call of Duty game (a whopping 3% of the HD versions) you really know that arguments are not important.

No thank you.  I'm well aware what both "hardcore" and "sell" mean.  And as such, my statement still stands.  I know you get off on trashing Wii, but yeah... I can name plenty of hardcore games that have sold very well on Wii.  I'm sure you can too... so feel free to go ahead and move the goal posts. 

The goalposts move themselves and are called sales for the HD consoles. The ironic thing is that I have no problem with the Wii. Its a great system for its target: Which is low-entry gaming with friends. I had more fun with Wii Tennis in multiplayer than with any HD game besides Gran Turismo Prologue perhaps. Its also true that this easily accessible approach has a far bigger market than the traditional gaming of the other two consoles. Which is great for Nintendo.

I just like to remind all the "Graphics don't matter" and "Wii will be lead platform for third-party games" people around here that somehow this doesn't seem to happen.
I mean CoD WoW on Wii sold 3% in words three percent of its rivals. Which pretty much sums up reality. People buy a PS360 when they want to have realistic graphics, great networking features and traditional games, they buy a Wii when they like to play short sessions with friends in the same room or they like the kid-friendly approach of Nintendo games. Nothing wrong with that.

Kyros: your math is a little off.

The PS3 version 801k. The Wii version sold 61k, that's 7,6%

The 360 version sold 1.35m, the Wii version sold 4,5% of it.

And anyone in their right mind knows the comparison is unfair for obvious reasons. The Wii version is not the same version as the HD versions.

I predict the Wii version to sell 450k - 600k lifetime. Not good at all, but it's certain to at least make a small profit.

No it isn't. I said the HD version"S". When it comes to multiplatform games it is essentially irrelevant which console of the PS360 "platform" you have. Graphics, controller, networking features are identical.

The Wii version is not the same version as the HD versions.

EXACTLY. Of course it isn't the same version, the Wii is hugely inferior when it comes to networking features and computing power. That's the point. Its innovative input scheme more than makes up for this in some areas but surely not for FPS.

Around the Network
Kyros said:

No it isn't. I said the HD version"S". When it comes to multiplatform games it is essentially irrelevant which console of the PS360 "platform" you have. Graphics, controller, networking features are identical.

The Wii version is not the same version as the HD versions.

EXACTLY. Of course it isn't the same version, the Wii is hugely inferior when it comes to networking features and computing power. That's the point. Its innovative input scheme more than makes up for this in some areas but surely not for FPS.

Ah, I see. You know it makes sense. It's absolutely fair to just combine the sales of the PS3 and 360 games and compare the combined total to the sales of the Wii version. I hadn't thought of that superior analysis. Thanks!

It's absolutely fair to just combine the sales of the PS3 and 360 games and compare the combined total to the sales of the Wii version.

Why not? Userbase is almost identical between Wii and HD consoles. And the game is identical on PS3 and 360. It would be unfair to compare it with the PS3 alone which has less than half the userbase of the Wii.
I mean the PS3 version didn't even manage to outsell the Wii version 15 times. So this would clearly be an unfair comparison.

Kyros said:
It's absolutely fair to just combine the sales of the PS3 and 360 games and compare the combined total to the sales of the Wii version.

Why not? Userbase is almost identical between Wii and HD consoles. And the game is identical on PS3 and 360. It would be unfair to compare it with the PS3 alone which has less than half the userbase of the Wii.
I mean the PS3 version didn't even manage to outsell the Wii version 15 times. So this would clearly be an unfair comparison.

I agree. The PS2 had terrible software sales, compared to the SNES, N64, Wii and Xbox 360 combined. Man what a failure that was.

Kyros, your lack of logic and common sense is very sad. Please zip it.

If a developer wants to make software, lets say Monolith productions wants to make an RPG game. They could produce the software on the PS3, 360, PC at the same time with few issues, but they would have to make an almost entirely new version for the Wii or let another developer handle that version as is often the case.

So if talking about the merits of a single platform then combining sales doesn't make sense, but if talking about which system or platform to develop for combining absolutely makes sense. If one didn't do it then they would be stumped by the huge level of support the HD platforms recieve.

Tease.