By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rare: Killer instinct, Battletoads, Jet Force Gemini and Ghoulies 2:2009?

How can anyone say MS ruined Rare after the crap Nintendo pulled to them with Star Fox Adventures. Also anyone complaining that the new Banjo isn't a platformer needs to stop. Rare makes the games they want to and I think they have the right to create whatever they want.

Rare is not our slave, and yes they do owe their fans something and they've given it. A new BK game that is radically different but amazing, and for those that are stuck on the past, the old BK just as if not more amazing. They've given us gamers choices, if we don't like their new style pick up the old one. I can't believe after what Nintendo put them through, people on the internet are now demanding Rare change their games.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Around the Network

If they really make a new killer instinct and it's as good as the one on snes, that's the day I get a 360

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Jet Force Gemini was an underrated gem in every manner of the word for the N64. I would faint if I knew FOR SURE they would make another.

Battletoads though?....I'm betting an XBLA release for all these games, not full fledged sequels. 

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Earlier Thread Link

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

bdbdbd said:
@S.T.A.G.E: I wouldn't say Rare "faded". The company went through a purchase, had re-organizing and they "suddenly" had to jump to a different platform (which was followed by another jump). Whatever anyone thinks about Rares games current quality, they basically skipped the last gen and only recently have again been able to show what they can do.
A number of Rares titles was in developement for GC, then after the purchase, the developement of the titles was moved to Xbox and later decided to put on 360. For example Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero went through the cycle and eventually were rushed to be ready as 360 launch titles.

The GC was DOA in the war between PS2 and the Xbox, but it had a couple of fun games. The problem with Nintendo is that they're always doing their own thing. Lets just say there is never a dull moment for devs with Nintendo (LOL), because they always use their own format. I believe that Rare wont have to rush anymore. Perfect Dark Zero was a great for a launch title which picked up speed for the Xbox 360. It wouldn't have recieved higher scores today seeing what other shooters are boasting and the high expectations to follow. Rare will have to kick it up a notch with the next Perfect Dark. I am still holding alot of hope that Killer Instinct turns out good. I say that they should keep it as a side scroller. If they do everything should fall into place with updated fighters. If it does 09 will be a blast.

Around the Network

@S.T.A.G.E: I wouldn't call GC DOA in comparision to Xbox. Eventually Xbox did sell a few million better, but it tracked behind GC a long while.
And what fight are you talking about? The one that Xbox lost 5:1? There really wasn't much of a fight last gen, except for the second place, which Nintendo apparently gave up without a fight for the sake of profit. So, last gen, everything but PS2 were DOA (except Dreamcast, that was dead on PS2:s arrival).
Nintendo does its own thing, but historically that's not exactly true. After NES, Nintendo did as everyone else did, Megadrives success forced Nintendo to partially rethink their strategy with games and gear it towards MD a little. N64:s failure caused them to rethink their strategy with 3rd parties, gearing it towards the competition and lastly, PS2:s success caused them to focus on making profit until they can make a comeback (which happened in the form of DS and Wii).

As far as i know, Rare have never rushed, except for the 360 launch titles (and maybe the end of Starfox Adventures to get rid of Nintendos project). But that was my point, we may haven't seen yet, what the current Rare is capable of. Notice that the Stamper brothers left last year.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

A new Killer Instinct would be cool... maybe.

This is post-Nintendo Rare we're talkin' about.

Which is also post-Stamper Bros Rare.

A company whose creative juices and quality control fizzled and died the moment they were branded a Microsoft company. Nintendo's strict quality control vanished. The company-founding Stamper brothers sold off assets and jumped ship. Essentially, they lost everybody that made Rare great to begin with.

I'm looking forward to a revisit to both Killer Instinct and Battletoads, but have serious doubts about their futures.

I want KI i want to be the skeleton dude again

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

His name was Spinal.

And Riptor was cooler.

You know, I can get excited about Killer Instinct. It was a fun game, though I'm hoping they keep it 2d and not try to mess around too much with 3d, as only really Soul Calibur has done pretty well with 3d.

As for the others? Bleh. Jet force gemini was a collect-a-thon and deserves whatever bad press it gets. Ghoulies was lame as well. If Rare is able to make a game half as well as they used to I would be excited, but until they can figure out that special charm consistently, I will continue to avoid them.