By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation 4 Secrets

I could be wrong but I suspect that the success of the Wii will translate into Sony and Microsoft being less willing to lose as much money (or increase the price of their console) in order to increase processing power of their systems.

Now, some people are under the assumption that there really is only two market positions available when it comes to processing power; that a company can choose to make a low performance system like the Wii or a high performance system like the PS3/XBox 360. This is false! There were several intermediate levels for most components between the two levels of systems, and at a level not much below the HD consoles there was a level which could be described as the "Best Performance for the Dollar" which most new consoles have aimed for; consider that the Gamecube was $200 system with minimal losses at launch (less than $20 IIRC) and was still a high performance system when it was released.

What I would expect from the PS4 would be a system with performance similar to a mid-level gaming PC from the middle of 2010/2011 (depending on whether they system releases in 2011/2012), and it will still use many conventional technologies for the time (like a Blu-Ray drive).

Around the Network

Well, I think Sony and Microsoft both will realize that even though there's plenty of room for improvement graphically, the industry needs to catch up to get to it. While it's great that the more advanced technologies help graphics and other stuff, the price tag isn't so much. Both of them will take an approach similar to that of Wii, yet they won't be copying it. They'll simply revolutionize their products in their own ways.

Well, Microsoft will probably copy Wii. Meh. ;)

The BuShA owns all!

leo-j said:
HVD doesnt support High defintion video I believe, so its already back fired against the site.

Any disc format can do HD,Its a matter of space,Therefore your wrong :p

Did anyone check out there idea of the Cell2 and RSX2, I dought they'll go that big for the cell2, the cell for the PS4 will more then likely be a cell1.5, but I don't know I kinda agree with how the RSX2 looks. Here's the cell2 and RSX2 in there mind.

Cell2

The Cell2 CPU has three 4.2Ghz PPE (Power Processor Element) with two threads and sixteen 4.2Ghz SPE (Synergistic Processing Elements). The three PPE are general purpose CPUs, while the sixteen SPE are geared towards processing data in parallel. One SPE is disabled to increase yield, so the PS4 can have at most 21 threads runnings at the same time (6 from PPE and 15 from SPE). Note that one SPE is reserved for the hypervisor, so PS4 programs can take advantage of 20 threads. The Cell2 was introduced at 45nm and later PS4 model numbers starting with CECKG uses the 32nm version.

• 3 PPE (Power Processor Element)
    • 4.2Ghz
    • 2 threads (can run at same time)
    • L1 cache: 32kB data + 32kB instruction
    • L2 cache: 512kB
    • Memory bus width: 64bit (serial)
    • VMX (Altivec) instruction set support
    • Full IEEE-754 compliant
  • 16 SPE (Synergistic Processing Element)
    • 4.2Ghz
    • 1 SPE disabled to improve chip yield
    • 1 SPE dedicated for hypervisor security
    • 256kB local store per SPE
    • 128 registers per SPE
    • Dual Issue (Each SPE can execute 2 instructions per clock)
    • IEEE-754 compliant in double precision (single precision round-towards-zero instead of round-towards-even)
  • 45nm technology (CECKF models and lower)
  • 32nm technology (CECKG models and higher)

RSX2:

The RSX2 is a graphical processor unit (GPU) based off of the nVidia GeForce GTX 480 graphics processor, and is a G500/G600 hybrid with some modifications. The RSX2 has unified vertex and pixel shader pipelines. The following are relevant information about the RSX2...

• 32 vertex shaders
  • 32 pixel shaders
  • 16 texture units
  • 32 Raster Operations Pipeline units (ROPs)
  • Includes 1024MB GDDR4 graphics memory
  • GDDR4 Memory interface bus width: 256bit
  • 65nm and 45nm technology

More features are revealed in the following chart delineating the differences between the RSX2 and the nVidia GeForce GTX 480

Difference RSX2 nVidia GeForce GTX 280 nVidia GeForce GTX 480
Memory bus width 256bit 512bit 512bit
Graphics Memory 1024MB 1024MB 2048MB
ROPs 32 32 48
CPU interface Embedded PCI-Express 16x PCI-Express 32x
Technology 55nm/45nm 65nm 55nm

Other RSX2 features/differences include:

• More shader instructions
    • Extra texture lookup logic (helps RSX2 transport data from system memory)
    • Fast vector normalize

Note that the cache (Post Transform and Lighting Vertext Cache) is located between the vector shader and the triangle setup.

General RSX2 features include 4x and 8x hardware anti-aliasing, and support for Shader Model 4.0.

Although the RSX2 has 1024MB of GDDR4 RAM, not all of it is useable. The last 16MB is reserved for keeping track of the RSX2 internal state and issued commands. The 16MB of CPU Data contains RAMIN, RAMHT, RAMFC, DMA Objects, Graphic Objects, and the Graphic Context.

Gilgamesh said:

Did anyone check out there idea of the Cell2 and RSX2, I dought they'll go that big for the cell2, the cell for the PS4 will more then likely be a cell1.5, but I don't know I kinda agree with how the RSX2 looks. Here's the cell2 and RSX2 in there mind.

Cell2

The Cell2 CPU has three 4.2Ghz PPE (Power Processor Element) with two threads and sixteen 4.2Ghz SPE (Synergistic Processing Elements). The three PPE are general purpose CPUs, while the sixteen SPE are geared towards processing data in parallel. One SPE is disabled to increase yield, so the PS4 can have at most 21 threads runnings at the same time (6 from PPE and 15 from SPE). Note that one SPE is reserved for the hypervisor, so PS4 programs can take advantage of 20 threads. The Cell2 was introduced at 45nm and later PS4 model numbers starting with CECKG uses the 32nm version.

• 3 PPE (Power Processor Element)
    • 4.2Ghz
    • 2 threads (can run at same time)
    • L1 cache: 32kB data + 32kB instruction
    • L2 cache: 512kB
    • Memory bus width: 64bit (serial)
    • VMX (Altivec) instruction set support
    • Full IEEE-754 compliant
  • 16 SPE (Synergistic Processing Element)
    • 4.2Ghz
    • 1 SPE disabled to improve chip yield
    • 1 SPE dedicated for hypervisor security
    • 256kB local store per SPE
    • 128 registers per SPE
    • Dual Issue (Each SPE can execute 2 instructions per clock)
    • IEEE-754 compliant in double precision (single precision round-towards-zero instead of round-towards-even)
  • 45nm technology (CECKF models and lower)
  • 32nm technology (CECKG models and higher)

RSX2:

The RSX2 is a graphical processor unit (GPU) based off of the nVidia GeForce GTX 480 graphics processor, and is a G500/G600 hybrid with some modifications. The RSX2 has unified vertex and pixel shader pipelines. The following are relevant information about the RSX2...

• 32 vertex shaders
  • 32 pixel shaders
  • 16 texture units
  • 32 Raster Operations Pipeline units (ROPs)
  • Includes 1024MB GDDR4 graphics memory
  • GDDR4 Memory interface bus width: 256bit
  • 65nm and 45nm technology

More features are revealed in the following chart delineating the differences between the RSX2 and the nVidia GeForce GTX 480

Difference RSX2 nVidia GeForce GTX 280 nVidia GeForce GTX 480
Memory bus width 256bit 512bit 512bit
Graphics Memory 1024MB 1024MB 2048MB
ROPs 32 32 48
CPU interface Embedded PCI-Express 16x PCI-Express 32x
Technology 55nm/45nm 65nm 55nm

Other RSX2 features/differences include:

• More shader instructions
    • Extra texture lookup logic (helps RSX2 transport data from system memory)
    • Fast vector normalize

Note that the cache (Post Transform and Lighting Vertext Cache) is located between the vector shader and the triangle setup.

General RSX2 features include 4x and 8x hardware anti-aliasing, and support for Shader Model 4.0.

Although the RSX2 has 1024MB of GDDR4 RAM, not all of it is useable. The last 16MB is reserved for keeping track of the RSX2 internal state and issued commands. The 16MB of CPU Data contains RAMIN, RAMHT, RAMFC, DMA Objects, Graphic Objects, and the Graphic Context.

I doubt they will use anything like RSX2,There are much more powerful video cards so im guessing they will go with a nvidia 9800 gtx or something around that,physics and graphics = win!

Around the Network

Technology Far more likely PS4
Disc Blu-Ray
Audio Lossless 7.1 Channel
Storage 250GB to 500GB
Storage Speed 3Gb/s (SATA-300)
Color Depth Deep Color
Color Space xvYCC
Controller Wireless, Vibration, Motion Sense (3D)
Internet 1 Gbit wired, 802.11b/g
Display HDTV (1920x1080)
VRAM 768MB GDDR4 (possibly GDDR5)
System RAM 1.5GB GDDR3 (possibly still DDR2)

I bet I'm closer than they are ...by a long shot...=P

The stuff in red is the stuff I gauruntee they are dead wrong about.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Hopefully they've learned some valuable lessons at Sony and include adequate memory, a faster read speed on its optical drive, and aim for a much lower price. If I was designing the PS4, I'd aim for a $300 launch price and stop trying to make a gaming PC out of a console.

LMAO. I had a good laugh about the chart.

What is most likely in the next gen is, that the biggest improvements will be getting the current level (and a little higher) of graphics run smooter and with less to none tradeoffs. Which in practice would be closer to getting 1080p out of the machine with the current level of graphics. Also the character models will be geared towards more "alive" characters.
So we propably aren't going to see anything "exotic" techwise in the next gen.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

this is a joke right? i burst out lolin "Wireless, Vibration, Motion Sense (3D), WIND, Shock"

leo-j said:
HVD doesnt support High defintion video I believe, so its already back fired against the site.

If you'll notice, even though it lists the PS2 as DVD the PS2 could also do CD's. Even though it lists the PS3 as Blu-ray, it can still play DVD's and CD's. So I'd imagine Blu-ray will still be in the PS4 as by that time it should be rather inexpensive.