By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation 4 Secrets

Nov 2011? More likely Nov 2012. PS3 won't have a sucessor so early :D

Around the Network
skeezer said:
AS ong as they don't make another $600+ machine, I'll be happy.

This.

Gilgamesh said:

RSX2:

The RSX2 is a graphical processor unit (GPU) based off of the nVidia GeForce GTX 480 graphics processor, and is a G500/G600 hybrid with some modifications. The RSX2 has unified vertex and pixel shader pipelines. The following are relevant information about the RSX2...

• 32 vertex shaders
  • 32 pixel shaders
  • 16 texture units
  • 32 Raster Operations Pipeline units (ROPs)
  • Includes 1024MB GDDR4 graphics memory
  • GDDR4 Memory interface bus width: 256bit
  • 65nm and 45nm technology

More features are revealed in the following chart delineating the differences between the RSX2 and the nVidia GeForce GTX 480

Difference RSX2 nVidia GeForce GTX 280 nVidia GeForce GTX 480
Memory bus width 256bit 512bit 512bit
Graphics Memory 1024MB 1024MB 2048MB
ROPs 32 32 48
CPU interface Embedded PCI-Express 16x PCI-Express 32x
Technology 55nm/45nm 65nm 55nm

Other RSX2 features/differences include:

• More shader instructions
    • Extra texture lookup logic (helps RSX2 transport data from system memory)
    • Fast vector normalize

Note that the cache (Post Transform and Lighting Vertext Cache) is located between the vector shader and the triangle setup.

General RSX2 features include 4x and 8x hardware anti-aliasing, and support for Shader Model 4.0.

Although the RSX2 has 1024MB of GDDR4 RAM, not all of it is useable. The last 16MB is reserved for keeping track of the RSX2 internal state and issued commands. The 16MB of CPU Data contains RAMIN, RAMHT, RAMFC, DMA Objects, Graphic Objects, and the Graphic Context.

I mean, seriously, the GTX280 has 240 shader units and 80 textures units, I doubt they will cut it's balls THAT much with the PS4.

And 2160p with that joke of (hypothetical) GPU? Don't make me laugh.

Until the specs come from SONY themselves, I'll take all speculation with a pinch of salt.
Even then SONY can get the specs wrong too. Anyone remember the 2 HDMI ports that were supposed to be on the PS3?

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
Until the specs come from SONY themselves, I'll take all speculation with a pinch of salt.
Even then SONY can get the specs wrong too. Anyone remember the 2 HDMI ports that were supposed to be on the PS3?

ya what was the purpose of having 2 HDMI ports? wouldn't 1 be all you need?

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:
Spankey said:

No purpose or point that I could see (unless Video routed through one and audio through the other), but the fact remains that 2 HDMI were in the original spec sheet from SONY

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
Gilgamesh said:
Spankey said:

No purpose or point that I could see (unless Video routed through one and audio through the other), but the fact remains that 2 HDMI were in the original spec sheet from SONY

lol I'm surprised there wasn't a cup holder on the PS3

Sony better start outselling the 360 first.

''Hadouken!''

2160p on a gig of ram?

Ajax said:
Sony better start outselling the 360 first.

"Impossible is nothing."

Sony better start looking at this quote.