By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

During the hard finacial times many store are going back to a lay a way service. What affect do you see this having on Holiday sales?

I think we will see the largest one week in history, the week before Cmas. Most lay a way programs reguire pickup by the 22nd or 23rd, meaning a crap load of sales taking place those days. Sales are not recorded until the product is paid for in full, also I do realize that some stores will not allow Electonics on Lay a way, but some do. Like My Sears does not, but my Walmart, Kmart, and Target do.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

excuse me but what is lay away?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Is lay away the bargain bin?

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Lay away is when you intend to pick up something from the store but do not have the necessary funds at the time. So the stores holds onto the item for a specific amount of time and when you have the money you come pick it up.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Lay away is when you intend to pick up something from the store but do not have the necessary funds at the time. So the stores holds onto the item for a specific amount of time and when you have the money you come pick it up.

Thanks for letting me know I was also wondering the same thing as the others.

Around the Network

oh ok thanks

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

The problem is, we won't be able to distinguish which part of sales are attributed to lay-a-way, unless they are specifically given sales data by the companies.

As for not know what lay-a-way is, I figured everyone knew. It was a staple joke in several african-american comedies from the 90s.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I somewhat agree with the OP.

Considering items like the Wii are in stock right now not everyone will have the money right away and will without a doubt take advantage of something like Lay away.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I thought lay-away was a pretty common thing for the past 5 years :S

4 ≈ One

bigjon said:

During the hard finacial times many store are going back to a lay a way service. What affect do you see this having on Holiday sales?

I think we will see the largest one week in history, the week before Cmas. Most lay a way programs reguire pickup by the 22nd or 23rd, meaning a crap load of sales taking place those days. Sales are not recorded until the product is paid for in full, also I do realize that some stores will not allow Electonics on Lay a way, but some do. Like My Sears does not, but my Walmart, Kmart, and Target do.

Since when does WalMart have Lay-A-Way. They removed it like 2 years ago for Site-To-Store.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453