By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

DKII said: Well it's pretty obvious. Nintendo makes good games, and lots of them, so people buy them, and the third parties just get a smaller percentage by default. Nintendo also has the advantage of being the most familiar with their hardware and dev kits. In the end it doesn't matter for the DS anymore since the third parties still sell more volume with a cheaper production cost so they'll continue pumping out more titles for it now. The Wii, of course, is another story, at least for now. Looking at your numbers, I'd be more concerned with why Sony can't put out as many quality games themselves as Nintendo does, since I don't think the third party games are really inherently better or worse on either system, DS users just have Nintendo games in addition to choose from knowing Nintendo is a strong quality game brand, so if anything they're just getting more quality games.
Sony dont make many games. That's why. I'd hate to count. But I'd say there's over 50 Nintendo DS games...

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Kwaad said: Sony dont make many games. That's why. I'd hate to count. But I'd say there's over 50 Nintendo DS games...
Phil Harrison Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios Sony has the world's largest first party development operation, in effect producing scores of "exclusive" titles for our platforms each year.
( http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15342&page=3 ) Sony's problem isn't that they don't make enough games, the problem is they do not make enough good distinctive games ... There are lots of Sony games which are just 'Me Too' entries in genres that don't give (much of) a reason to buy them

HappySqurriel said: Phil Harrison Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios Sony has the world's largest first party development operation, in effect producing scores of "exclusive" titles for our platforms each year. ( http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15342&page=3 ) Sony's problem isn't that they don't make enough games, the problem is they do not make enough good distinctive games ... There are lots of Sony games which are just 'Me Too' entries in genres that don't give (much of) a reason to buy them
Jak and Daxter, God of War, Arc the lad, Hot Shots Golf, Jet Moto, Alundra, Ape Escape, Colony Wars, Gran Turismo, ATV Offroad Fury, ICO, Destruction Derby, MediEvil, LocoRoco, MotorStorm , Shadow of the Colossus, PaRappa the Rapper, Syphon Filter, The Legend of Dragoon, PoPoLoCrois, Warhawk, Ratchet & Clank, Rogue Galaxy, Sly Cooper, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs , The Getaway, Wild Arms, Twisted Metal, Wipeout Comming from a guy who played most of these titles I can assurer you they are distinctive enough. Nintendo doesn't have much on sony besides repetative franchises. I have yet to see some more colony wars. I want to see a legend of dragoon sequel or a sotc. God of wat was just praised. I consider loco roco to be brilliant. I love the arc of lad universe. I am curious about uncharted, africa, white knight story and many other sony announcements. Seriously speaking Sony has made some awesome titles.... titles so good I would put them higher than any other title I have played to date. Give me shadows over zelda anyday, I would rather a PS3 version of god of war, or legend of dragoon over halo 3 anyday. Where is a new parappa. Can anyone else here who has played games most of thier lives (and actually played these titles) can really say that sony doesn't make awesome games?

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

if a quality 3rd party company is making a premiere game, what system are they going to release it on? Not nintendo, whilst you guys bring up the arguement that more 3rd party games have been sold on DS, what makes up most of those numbers? crappy ports or games that we as gamers couldn't give a #@!$ about, cars, happy feet etc. until nintendo can start lureing in big 3rd party franchises/new ip's and not just 3rd party support, sony will always hold a share of the handheld market

jstam said: if a quality 3rd party company is making a premiere game, what system are they going to release it on? Not nintendo, whilst you guys bring up the arguement that more 3rd party games have been sold on DS, what makes up most of those numbers? crappy ports or games that we as gamers couldn't give a #@!$ about, cars, happy feet etc. until nintendo can start lureing in big 3rd party franchises/new ip's and not just 3rd party support, sony will always hold a share of the handheld market
Thank you. I'm not gonna say your right but it's better than saying. "Your a idiot." And really, the PSP is doing the the original X-Box was meant to do. Get market share. The PSP has got market share. The PSP is not meant to "Win". It's meant to take market. when PSP2 comes... Will nintendo be able to fend it off? Nintendo has 1 market that *no one* and I mean *no one* has EVER been able to get market share in. Sony is the FIRST to get market share on handhelds.

Around the Network

Static, you really need to stop listing games that aren't developed by Sony. It weakens your argument. You could still make a good argument with just the Sony developed titles. Continually bringing up games not developed by Sony shows a lack of belief in your argument IMO.

You might wanna tell Sony about that, Kwaad. They said that the "baton had been passed" from Gameboy to PSP, and that they would bring portables out of the "gaming ghetto." If that wasn't some kind of indication that their goal was total market domination, what did they mean? But go ahead, spin it out that their goal was simply to attain marketshare. But your claim that the PSP was the first to "attain marketshare" is just false. Anything that EXISTS in the market will get marketshare. The Game Gear did it, so did the Neo Geo Pocket and so did the Wonderswan. You may have an argument over Sony having the most marketshare, but it's still getting its ass beat all day long.

until nintendo can start lureing in big 3rd party franchises/new ip's and not just 3rd party support, sony will always hold a share of the handheld market
Put the crackpipe down. What big 3rd party franchise does the DS need? Maybe Final Fantasy? Or Dragon Quest? Megaman? Which ones are you talking about? New IPs? Look at the Media Create numbers again. See Professor Layton? New IP, from a third party even. Check out Hotel Dusk. New IP, from Nintendo. And BTW What new IPs on the PSP are as successful? Every time a PSP game does well, it is some sort of Port from the Playstation 2. Even Monster Hunter. Everytime a new IP is attempted on the PSP, it flops. Your argument falls flat.

The american market is where the psp is holding its own against the DS (be it only just) Nintendo do need to lure big western 3rd parties to the DS to get these talented companies to create something brilliantly new and not waste their efforts making ports of games that they have already made on other systems. Do that and sony will have no choice but to innovate or leave the handheld market

In order to understand what the PSP was supposed to do, you first have to figure out "Why didn't Sony enter the Handheld market before and why did they decide to release a system in 2004?" I have heard it suggested that the iPod was the main reason the PSP was created. Sony (a company that dominated the portable music player market for a very long time) simply didn't see the iPod comming, didn't see the need for a hard-drive based music player and focused on pushing their own music format (mini-disc). The PSP was supposed to take one of Sony's strongest brands (Playstation) and to use it to reclaim their lost dominance in the portable music industry.

focused on pushing their own music format (mini-disc).
Since when did the PSP use mini-disc? and since when did the PSP have a in-house music format? Because mine sure dont support either.