By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Target NOT going blu-ray exclusive

Talon has a point. DVDs were immensely better than VHS. They didn't degrade over time, you could "rewind" them is a split second, they were small, and people had already switched from tapes to CDs for music so VHS tapes to DVDs just made sense.

Around the Network

I think companies are losing $$ on both formats anyway -- no one cares.

GhaleonUnlimited said:

No, HD-DVD is losing money, and blu-ray is profitable. I base this not on facts, but on what most of the posters on these HD wars threads want to be true.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
GhaleonUnlimited said:

No, HD-DVD is losing money, and blu-ray is profitable. I base this not on facts, but on what most of the posters on these HD wars threads want to be true.

Well, Sony has just barely turned a profit for the most recent quarter in its Pictures division, the BD-related one, wheras earlier it posted a loss most likely because profits are usually nonexistent when introducing a new product.  And no this doesn't prove anything at all, but it does lead me to beleive that BD isn't doing too bad w/r/t profit.

jjseth said:
TalonMan said:
No, it IS way too early for anybody to be proclaiming anything dead. Yes, it seems that BluRay is making waves and yada, yada, yada... ...but what you guys are totally disregarding is that the mass consumer still doesn't give a crap about either of these new formats!!!

Come talk to me when either BluRay or HD-DVD manages to sell even a 10th of what DVD sales currently are. Until then, you all look like a bunch of scavangers fighting over crumbs...

...oh, and by the time that happens - perhaps digital media will have made enough advances so that both Sony and Toshiba will have wasted billions of dollars on an obsolete war. Congrats guys... :|

Once upon a time back in the 90's people really wondered what the big deal with DVD's were and that they would just fail and not displace VHS as the standard for movies, etc. When they were first released nobody knew why they would want such a thing as they had perfectly fine VHS movies that played good on their VCR's and TV's.

And then came the chinese who made $100 DVD players. And buddha saw it, and it was good. He sayeth, "let the masses watch DVD" and it was made so.

Around the Network

One thing that HD-DVD and BD bring to the table is that people can actually get their season TV shows all on one disk instead of 3-5 or more. That's one advantage that has nothing to do with picture clarity. I do agree though, it's not as drastic as a change as VHS to DVD was, but it's an improvement. Just as cassette tapes were an improvement over 8-tracks. It took time, but cassettes took over.

When the costs of the players get in the $100 range or less and the movies drop to current DVD prices ($10-$18) as the media costs drop, look forward to more people taking advantage of this and moving to the next step. Digital download isn't far off, but without a solid increase in bandwidth to the average household and a more reliable method of storage, it won't take over. Hard Drives can lose their data and then you lose your movies unless you purchase them again. You will only lose your HD DVD or BD by physically losing or destroying the disk which is not an easy task unless you try or are just plain and simple careless.

Either way, you won't see fast adoption rate of the HD formats until 2009 at the earliest if not 2010.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Thats assuming they keep standard definition on shows, which is doubtful. The reason for the big box sets has a lot to do with perceived value. Even today, a big box of DVDs with the same amount of content as one HD-DVD does not carry the same perceived value.

"Suck on it" -vgchartz mod

jjseth said:
Digital download isn't far off, but without a solid increase in bandwidth to the average household and a more reliable method of storage, it won't take over. Hard Drives can lose their data and then you lose your movies unless you purchase them again. You will only lose your HD DVD or BD by physically losing or destroying the disk which is not an easy task unless you try or are just plain and simple careless.

My ISP already offers HDTV services streamed via broadband where I live. The bandwidth definitely is available. The service costs about 8$/month additional for the HD option. Granted, it's only 720p at the moment, but HD it is!  This is the initial service offering. I'm sure by the time the competition catches up, we'll get price cuts/higher resolutions/wider variety of channels. You know, the typical cutthroat B2C market...

In terms of reliable storage, how unreliable are hard drives? I've found them to be quite reliable. In contrast, I've had discs peel or mold due to humidity while sitting nicely inside the jewel box. Personally, I think people are far more likely to lose or otherwise deface discs simply because it requires manual handling - with a hard drive, you don't move it at all. Hard drive reliability will only increase with the introduction of solid state drives.

wangfoo said:
Thats assuming they keep standard definition on shows, which is doubtful. The reason for the big box sets has a lot to do with perceived value. Even today, a big box of DVDs with the same amount of content as one HD-DVD does not carry the same perceived value.

Good point.

I bet if Konami released two versions of their MGS collector's set, the one that has the bunch of discs would sell much more than the one with a single disc. 

Universal going neutral doesn't change that much, the reasons for going with hd-dvd would still be there.

- Better selection of titles on HD-DVD today.

- No reasonably priced BR standalone players with full feature set.

- No expensive BR standalone players with full feature set.

- More mature platform. (BR is still changeing specs)

- No regional codeing on HD-DVD

- Extra nasty copy protection to be implemented on BR.

- HD-DVD has the support of more studios than BR.

-Some BR exclusives are released on HD-DVD before BR