By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Movie execs worried about Blu-Ray

Should be interesting to see.
Although, the sales of consoles don't seem to be suffering yet, I wonder if that will hold true for Blu-Ray

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

Don't see how digital downloads can be the future. It just takes too long.

At the same time I don't see how blu ray can replace dvd unless movie studios and blu ray makers decide to stop putting their movies on dvd and making dvd players respectively.

I can understand Sony, Samsung etc stop making dvds as by now everyone and their dog has a dvd player but will a movie studio take the step of not releasing a new movie on dvd and cut out like 90% of their potential market? I don't see that happening apart from by the movie studios owned by Sony but even then it is doubtful.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

the combined high price of bluerays, and the strange creep of dvds back up in price (most likely to help the blue ray transition) is bad for the movie industry they will spur piracy rates above and beyond anything they have see before while killing sales..... its almost like they dont want to make money

they do not seem to realize that the public has changed the view of what they will pay for that type of entertainment, and are killing their industry to keep the old ways uptop.... much like the music industry.

@tuoyo next year should see the very first blueray oly movie though most likely it will just be a timed release.
digital downloads are the future, speeds and quality will improve, just remember how slow your conection was 4 years ago, and imagine where we will be in 4 years, breakthroughs happen all the time, and in unexpected places.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

There is one problem with Blu-Ray which has stopped people from buying even before the economy went down the dumps is Price. When people go into Best Buy and see new titles from some studios at $35, but the DVD for $15-$18 it puts them off. As much as people buy stuff online, a large chunk still goes to retail. They need to bring those prices down to be closer. This coming from someone who has more HD movies then our local blockbuster

let me get this straight.. the credit crunch is getting worse now. but sony is doin all the expensive stuff like the ps3 and blue rays, mircrosoft and nintendo are doing the right thing, ppl has less money but still they need to play games, so MS and Ninty offers the cheap wii and the now much cheaper xbox360.

who is goin to win? well....

Around the Network
goddog said:
the combined high price of bluerays, and the strange creep of dvds back up in price (most likely to help the blue ray transition) is bad for the movie industry they will spur piracy rates above and beyond anything they have see before while killing sales..... its almost like they dont want to make money

they do not seem to realize that the public has changed the view of what they will pay for that type of entertainment, and are killing their industry to keep the old ways uptop.... much like the music industry.

@tuoyo next year should see the very first blueray oly movie though most likely it will just be a timed release.
digital downloads are the future, speeds and quality will improve, just remember how slow your conection was 4 years ago, and imagine where we will be in 4 years, breakthroughs happen all the time, and in unexpected places.

My connection speed hasn't gone up at all, only the price I just got a letter in the mail saying they are hikeing my price by $5/month for their crappy service.

Digital Distribution works for music since it is so portable. You can listen to it anywhere, anytime, with no skips. You don't get any of those benefits from digital distribution of movies. Until they make a device so movies as portable and easy to watch on the go with similar quality, disc based media will be the way to go. Currently, I can watch a DVD in multiple places, and easily bring it over a friends/family's place and watch it. Can you do that with a digital copy? sure, but it isn't easy.

The playing devices need to become mainstream before any download service becomes as remotely successful as iTunes.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Gonna take a few years before Blu-ray is the main movie format... just look at DvD and VHS, VHS lived on for several years after DvD was introduced.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
Gonna take a few years before Blu-ray is the main movie format... just look at DvD and VHS, VHS lived on for several years after DvD was introduced.

VHS still lives on... sadly

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

@goddog: The internet speed thing was a bad example, since for example i had 2Mbps connection four years ago and today i have 1Mbps connection.

@Nordlead: Actually with mobile phones you can watch streamed content. I believe services like Youtube mobile will become more common in the near future. It's great to watch youtube while driving (hahaha).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

nordlead said:
goddog said:

My connection speed hasn't gone up at all, only the price I just got a letter in the mail saying they are hikeing my price by $5/month for their crappy service.

Digital Distribution works for music since it is so portable. You can listen to it anywhere, anytime, with no skips. You don't get any of those benefits from digital distribution of movies. Until they make a device so movies as portable and easy to watch on the go with similar quality, disc based media will be the way to go. Currently, I can watch a DVD in multiple places, and easily bring it over a friends/family's place and watch it. Can you do that with a digital copy? sure, but it isn't easy.

The playing devices need to become mainstream before any download service becomes as remotely successful as iTunes.

ah well mine has doubled in bandwith while becoming more stable less packet loss. 

still though i can only use comcast.... i have no other choice wich sucks knowledge is getting closer, in 4 years they have moved form 6 blocks away from my house to 2 blocks.... soon soon i can use someone else.... 

there is  a tipping point coming, if the big 3 can all agree on stripping drm from the apple store, it will allow 3rd party players to work on itunes, not as well as the ipod, but still work. so its really in there court right now. 

side note im still pissed that they took firewire out of ipod, usb2 sucks for multi gb transfers.... so much slower

firewire 1600, and 3200 are approved specs already using the firewire 800 port cant wait to see those in the wild. usb3 is getting close.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog