By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Similarities between last Gen and this Gen..

scottie said:
PS2 became the Wii - least powerful, highest sales, caters to casual and hardcore
GC became the PS3 - Shadow of a company's former glory, gone are the masses - only the fanboys remain
xbox became the 360 - The console of choice of shooting games

The wii doesn't cater to the hardcore. The Wii caters almost exclusively to the casual. The Xbox 360 used the PS2's gameplan to 1up Sony this gen. Sony did the exact opposite in copying the Xbox. As i've said, Nintendo always stands alone, win or lose. The games they are trying to sell stand no form of comparison to the PS2. The PS3 and Xbox 360 serve that purpose. This is why Nintendo is basically being ignored despite the great job Nintendo is doing. The Wii broke a brand new market of people. The PS3 and Xbox 360 are gathering the PS2 and Xbox owners of last gen.

Around the Network

S.T.A.G.E did you actually research that, or did it just come out?

Looking at the top 20 selling games for each console
Shooters
360 no's 1, 2, 4, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
PS2 no 9. That is all

Racers
PS2 2, 5, 7, 8, 20
360 5. That's all

RPG
PS2 6, 10, 11, 12, 14, 18
360 8

So what was your point again?

@STAGE
PS2 catered to casuals as well, and Wii is slowly moving to a more hardcore crowd, just like DS did.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

scottie said:
S.T.A.G.E did you actually research that, or did it just come out?

Looking at the top 20 selling games for each console
Shooters
360 no's 1, 2, 4, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
PS2 no 9. That is all

Racers
PS2 2, 5, 7, 8, 20
360 5. That's all

RPG
PS2 6, 10, 11, 12, 14, 18
360 8

So what was your point again?

Yes that might be so, but those are numbers for PS2's lifetime. If you also haven't noticed the Xbox 360 is far more diverse of a system than the original Xbox. The Xbox 360 is going to have a huge lifetime. It's goal is to mirror what the PS2 offered but at the same do it's own thing. The Xbox 360 is the second best party system with exclusives the PS3 will never have. It also has racers, JRPG's, WRPG's, shooters and soon multiple fighters. It offers to the casual but more to the hardcore gamer just like the PS3 does. This is one of the reason why it outweighs the PS3. The Wii is nothing like the PS2. The only resemblence is marketshare dominance. The games are not alike, they are not fishing for the same crowd. Nintendo stands alone just like they always did since Sony came in and tried to monopolize the market.

frybread said:
@STAGE
PS2 catered to casuals as well, and Wii is slowly moving to a more hardcore crowd, just like DS did.

PS2 may have catered to casuals, but they did not offer the same type of casual games as the Wii. They had the majority of 3rd party under heavy lockdown. The Wii doesn't have 3rd party under heavy lock down. The casual games are all straight from Nintendo (Which is a great thing). The Wii has broken a whole NEW casual market. Most of the PS2 installed base has yet to be cracked despite the fact that the majority were bargain shoppers. This Christmas is an important Christmas, so be ready to see numbers for all three systems. As i've said, the Wii stands alone as it always has. The only hardcore crowd Nintendo has forgotten are the Nintendo loyalists. They want to see more nintendo stars have games of their own. Thats what they mean by hardcore. So hardcore man...I can't wait for the Wii to get the new House of the Dead. No offense to the HD consoles but I love playing House of the Dead on the Wii more, because its a totally different experience. More realistic and arcady. No offense, but as i've said. Nintendo stands alone because it is the only one taking risks in pushing next gen gameplay, while the Sony and MS only focus on the same old shit.

Around the Network

The Wii is hardcore? well thats your opinion, in mine its far from it, not even in the same universe.

As for the PS2/PSP/DS/X360/PS3 thats an whole other galaxy for the "true" hardcore.

Aj_habfan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
As i've always been saying. This is a mirror of last gens war, just in reverse. The PS3 is the Xbox and the 360 is the PS2.

I'd say Xbox 360 is still the Xbox, PS3 is the gamecube, and Wii is the PS2.

yeah thats more like it!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Seems fair... only I don't see the similarity when it comes to sales though...

4 ≈ One

IMO all 3 consoles have similarities to the consoles from the past.

The 360 is like the PS2 (strong third party support and released before the other two), The N64 (a few N64 RARE sequels like Perfect Dark Zero and Banjo and Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts), Xbox (Strongly selling shooters and offering a robust online experience), the Genesis (Strong SEGA support) and the PS1 (Fairly easy to program on).

The Wii is like the PS2 (Strong hardware sales, and catering to several demographics), The Gamecube (Mostly first party support), The Dreamcast (Deemed outdated due to lack of HD graphics/DVD player and with strong SEGA support), and the NES (Using dated technology but selling strongly and asking for developer innovation more than hardware performance)

The PS3 is like the N64 (The third console from the past marketleader yet no longer the marketleader), The Dreamcast [shunned by gamers (2006/early 2007) after poor hardware], The SNES (Released later than the competition but picking up nicely), the Xbox (the strongest console of its respective generation), and the Saturn (Fairly hard to program on).

Pixel Art can be fun.

hahah!
Wii in a way is the PS2: sales-wise in hardware

and as far as games, Wii is just doing it in reverse.
PS2 attracted the hardcore in the beginning and later started catering to the casuals whereas Wii started attracting the casual market and later on, they will start catering and attracting to the hardcores more...

besides, wii is on the same boat as ds:
understated, underestimated, and overall misjudged..
just working it's way up to the top (i mean higher insales in general)

IMO
just my take on it =)