By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - LBP , R2 ..............(sigh)

CGI-Quality said:
True WINNERS in this thread: ssj12, username, leo-j. All this “oh Sony is soooooo doomed” crap is a little ridiculous. Resistance 2 and LBP are nothing short of masterpieces and anyone who owns, and is currently playing them, knows this. @ OP: you should just go play games and have fun, not dwell on who sells the most since you have NO control over it anyway.

Um...I don't think LBP and Resistance 2 are bad games dude. I was talking about sales issues on Sony's part.

Around the Network
Username2324 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
radha said:
Username2324 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
ssj12 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:

these 2 games were supose to be sonys big weapons !!! what happened?

1 Gears of War 2 2,139,656

Wii Sports

3 LittleBigPlanet 358,354
4 Wii Fit 309,981

Resistance 2

"fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me"

for the second time sony has let the PS3s price tag bring it down it didnt respond to 360s price drop ,and yet again gets dropped kicked in the face, my hat goes off to microsoft they played there cards well and finaly made me realize , that the 360 is where harcore gamers should be , because in the end its all about the games , and we shouldnt bitch about features that no one realy gives a ratsass about !

as a semi hardcoe gamer you still have my love Sony but 1st thing sunday im buying a new 360 !

It's called having a shitty installed base. 1/4 of the current installed base actually pushes units and thats not enough, because those are only the top tier games. Why don't people listen when I say that the PS3 installed base has a neglectful portion of non gamers who only bought it because its a cheap Blu Ray player? Sony shot themselves in the foot selling to two different markets, because it lowered expectancies for game sales without them knowing it. They knew they were taking a risk in losing money, but didn't know that so many people who were non gamers would buy the PS3. Tsk....dumbasses.

how is it shotting themselves in the foot? you realize movie studios make more money of Blu-ray sales versus DVD. So really Sony might have injured their game department but really helped their movie department meaning that in the end they are doing pretty well. Their tactics paid off.

You have to realize that Sony and Microsoft are not strictly game console manufacturers. They are multi-billion dollar corporations that have their hands in many different areas. They are willing to take a hit in one area if it benefits another.

It's shooting themselves in the foot because Sony makes profit off of 30% of published titles. They could've made more if they didn't focus on two markets. You see, when people bought the PS3 strictly for Blu Ray is created a huge gap between true gamers and DVD player owners. They raised expectancies of profit for games and everything fell off kilter. If they want to sell a true multimedia system, they need to be more organized and even you can admit that.

Sony cannot afford to take so many hits. Microsoft took a hit and didn't have to give up as much as Sony, because it was just a problem with the system. If people weren't worried about quality in a microsoft system, the 360 would probably have sold more instead of getting such bad press about quality. I've just named Microsoft's achillies heel....can you name Sony's? I just did...but can you accept it.

Are you joking, in the category of hits I'd say they are both pretty equal, if not then Microsoft has taken more. Microsoft took a massive hit releasing a defective system, they've kept their system unprofitable for 3 years now (Remember more sales of an unprofitable console means more money lost), they paid $50 million for DLC for GTA but if you look at the sales compared to userbases the PS3 version sold just as well as the 360. They wasted time and money on HD DVD, and who knows how many checks were written for other games. From a software perspective Microsoft has destroyed Sony, I'll agree with that, but at everything else they completely bombed. It'd be tough, if not impossible to find some official figures but I'm pretty damn sure Microsoft has lost more money on it's gaming division than Sony.

i think LTD the gamimg division at MS has lost twice what sony's gaming division has, sony has at least been profitable before but the 360 is only making some few bucks compared to ps2, wii, ds, ps1, heck they make even less that GC ever did. Ps3 on the other hand has been the black sheep of the ps family, he is like the gay son that put the family to shame.

Sony lost 3 Billion in 2008 alone. I wouldn't want to count the amount they've lost since launch. I'm not taking away, but Microsoft didn't lose that much. Unlike Microsoft, Sony walked into the game knowing they would lose money because of Blu Ray. This was already a known fact to them.

If I am not mistaken, Microsoft was in the hole some 7 billion at the beginning of 2008 were they not? Also, I highly doubt that Microsoft didn't know they'd pay for their hardware problems, they wanted to be out a year earlier and looked at the cost it required to do so. One more thing, Sony had money in the Bank from the PS2, Microsoft already had an empty bank account (gaming wise) from the original Xbox.

I dont think its quite 7 billion, they lost 4 on xbox 1 and 1 billion on rrod.  Also sony has lost all profits from ps2 and more.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
ssj12 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
ssj12 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:

these 2 games were supose to be sonys big weapons !!! what happened?

1 Gears of War 2 2,139,656

Wii Sports

3 LittleBigPlanet 358,354
4 Wii Fit 309,981

Resistance 2

"fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me"

for the second time sony has let the PS3s price tag bring it down it didnt respond to 360s price drop ,and yet again gets dropped kicked in the face, my hat goes off to microsoft they played there cards well and finaly made me realize , that the 360 is where harcore gamers should be , because in the end its all about the games , and we shouldnt bitch about features that no one realy gives a ratsass about !

as a semi hardcoe gamer you still have my love Sony but 1st thing sunday im buying a new 360 !

It's called having a shitty installed base. 1/4 of the current installed base actually pushes units and thats not enough, because those are only the top tier games. Why don't people listen when I say that the PS3 installed base has a neglectful portion of non gamers who only bought it because its a cheap Blu Ray player? Sony shot themselves in the foot selling to two different markets, because it lowered expectancies for game sales without them knowing it. They knew they were taking a risk in losing money, but didn't know that so many people who were non gamers would buy the PS3. Tsk....dumbasses.

how is it shotting themselves in the foot? you realize movie studios make more money of Blu-ray sales versus DVD. So really Sony might have injured their game department but really helped their movie department meaning that in the end they are doing pretty well. Their tactics paid off.

You have to realize that Sony and Microsoft are not strictly game console manufacturers. They are multi-billion dollar corporations that have their hands in many different areas. They are willing to take a hit in one area if it benefits another.

It's shooting themselves in the foot because Sony makes profit off of 30% of published titles. They could've made more if they didn't focus on two markets. You see, when people bought the PS3 strictly for Blu Ray is created a huge gap between true gamers and DVD player owners. They raised expectancies of profit for games and everything fell off kilter. If they want to sell a true multimedia system, they need to be more organized and even you can admit that.

Sony cannot afford to take so many hits. Microsoft took a hit and didn't have to give up as much as Sony, because it was just a problem with the system. If people weren't worried about quality in a microsoft system, the 360 would probably have sold more instead of getting such bad press about quality. I've just named Microsoft's achillies heel....can you name Sony's? I just did...but can you accept it.

I think they are quite well organized. The PSP is making Sony a profit. It is a multimedia device. Frankly the PSP is a success. Sony did their thing and accomplished it. UMD might have failed but studios still release movies on it sometimes (Warner and Sony do at least). They can do the same with the PS3.

This isnt about software sales as much as hardware. You need hardware costs to go down. Sony has been insanely successful when it comes to doing this. With more PS3s and Blu-ray players sold the cheaper the drives will become. I wouldnt be shocked if Sony doesnt start making a profit in 2009.

Anyways for software you realize that most games, minus say Killzone 2, FFXIII, and a few others, dont need to sell 1 million to make profit. Crysis made a profit selling 200k and its graphics by far destroys everything on consoles today. There is no software numbers like Gears or GTA4 needed to be called a success. You realize Gears 2 only needed to sell maybe 200k copies to break even? you want to know why? Unreal Engine 3 isnt a new engine, engine upgrades dont cost much, they reused old textures, models, etc and polished them. You know what though? Microsoft isnt benefiting from the success as much as Epic is. 95% of all profit goes to the developer not pubisher.

Ok, I guess PSP has to come into this, but UMD isn't Blu Ray you see. It's a multimedia device, but doesn't use DVD's. The PSP is agreat handheld. What it competes against are other multimedia devices such as the IPOD (In which I find the I phone to be more relevant). On a gaming tip I like the PSP out of all the  handhelds though. 

This has everything to do with both, because one effects the other reguardless of non-interchangable nature. Of course Sony had to drop the price of software. They also had lower the production costs of the PS3 or else thhey would've been in trouble. The PS3 saved Blu Ray players from being just as pointless as HD-DVD. All alternative DVD players are pointless and redundant. It's not like I wish Sony i'll about making profit, I just wish they would smarten up. Sony got two different markets confusing the projections of their sales. They need to lower expectancy to get true sales attachments.

Crysis sold 200k, ok. Tell me this though...since consoles have become the mainstream PC games sales have been struggling besides for a couple of games. I never said sales over 1 million is needed to be a success, otherwise id be up in the air when games like Ico or Shadow of the Colossus didn't sell so amazing the companies still made profit. You don't need to tell me this. I'm just stating that Sony is raising projections after selling a multimedia console to two different markets. 1/4 of the people who bought the console will account for true sales of games or even less.

1. Crysis sold 1.4 million so far. So I think you missed wtf I said.

2. Umm... lets not get into PC as it has been proven time and time again that PC is not struggling since it products 10+ billion sollars in revenue a year which is higher then any single platform's revenue. Yes it kills the Wii's revenue by roughly 2 - 3 billion dollars.

3. I did discuss hardware and software but hardware sales are more important.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

S.T.A.G.E. said:
CGI-Quality said:
True WINNERS in this thread: ssj12, username, leo-j. All this “oh Sony is soooooo doomed” crap is a little ridiculous. Resistance 2 and LBP are nothing short of masterpieces and anyone who owns, and is currently playing them, knows this. @ OP: you should just go play games and have fun, not dwell on who sells the most since you have NO control over it anyway.

Um...I don't think LBP and Resistance 2 are bad games dude. I was talking about sales issues on Sony's part.

It doesn't appear  that you have a PS3, so I ask, how would you know whether each game was good or not? Perhaps a 30 second peak at a friends, hmm?

Username2324 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
CGI-Quality said:

It doesn't appear  that you have a PS3, so I ask, how would you know whether each game was good or not? Perhaps a 30 second peak at a friends, hmm?

Actually yesterday I treated myself a PS3. I'm buying MGS4 on friday.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Username2324 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
CGI-Quality said:

Yesterday... And in that time you've been able to complete LBP and Resistance 2?

Well, anyone who bases their purchases on how much a game has sold is a winner in my book!

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Johann said:
Well, anyone who bases their purchases on how much a game has sold is a winner in my book!

I really hope your joking or your gonna get flamed by fanboys left and right.

Username2324 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Username2324 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
CGI-Quality said:

Yesterday... And in that time you've been able to complete LBP and Resistance 2?

@Username

See highlighted...

On Topic - I think everyone is missing the point here... Why create a game that will cost you more to develop on the console that sells less software??

As long as the 360 keeps increasing its lead you'll see more exclusives (timed or not) heading to the 360 by third party developers. More PC developers will create 360 ports, and more games will lead to more console sales.

The PS3 is in trouble, a price cut saved it last time in Europe and almost killed the 360 in Europe. Another one is needed really soon, cause the nails are starting to pile up next to the coffin again (I'm not saying the PS3 is dead, I'm just saying the undertaker is starting to collect his stuff)

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Well if LBP and R2 are masterpieces there are just two things that would have affected the sales. One is if the game is bad but they are 'masterpieces' lets assume, than the only other way to affect sales is the marketing. What else can you do but make a game than get people to know about the game.

Since both were Sony games than Sony did a bad job at marketing them and MS did a great job marketing Gears 2. Again, hatmonza isn't just talking about sales but how Sony is using their console (bad marketing/image, adding features, price tag, etc..). I like PS3 but he can have his own opinion and I understand it.

Also people stating MS loses concerning Xbox, it really doesn't hurt MS at all if xbox has loses. However, Sony which is not having great profits as a whole, does hurt if PS3 has loses. MS can make mistakes with xbox and throw money around to fix issues, Sony isn't in the same position. That is how huge 'monopoly' like companies roll.