By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The reason why PS2 was loved by game companies

@godot

but I wasn't GC only

I was like GC for most of it...then got PS2 at a VERY CHEAP BARGAIN from cousin like a 9 months before Ps3 came out...

but tecnically I was GC only last gen

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
Godot said:
I can't believe how many current PS3 users were Gamecube only users last gen. I am the exact opposite: PS2 only user last gen and Wii/360 this generation. PS2 was a great console for RPG but there's so much crap, I can barely believe it (well, there's a lot of crap on Wii as well).

it does make some sense, if they felt they were getting burned by having the gamecube, and saw what the ps2 offered and knew what the ps1 had offered, prior to actually one year in, you would have guessed like many 3rd parties that it would be the same.

However because of the way things ended up, they have a console that although supported far better than the game cube was, will not get ps2 level support. even if the wii owns as much market share as the ps2 (dont see it happening, as the 360, and ps3 sales are better than the 2&3 last time) the wii will never have the clout with devs that kept games from coming to the xbox, and gc last gen

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Pristine20 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@pristine

thats where my MS hate began

cus it was rumores MS made sure GC got NO 3rd Party games by paying of devs

so GC dint get SW Battlefront, Episode 3.....n loads of ye know just cool third party games!

Looks like M$ is always stuck in a bitter battle for 2nd place lol

true that, but a much more lucrative and stable 2nd place then last gen so far. and more games. more units sold. all in all a much better gen for them. not bad at all. I think they are achiving the goal of keeping themselves in the home theater/ digital media hub market, which is what the whole xbox project was about. so they can sell you movies, and rent crap to your through your tv. 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Developers loved the PS2 because it sold a lot of HW.

PS3 not selling a lot of hardware, devs bail.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Tyrannical said:

Although this isn't as bad since all of these big budgegt HD games have the luxury of releasing on two platforms simultaneously. It is the only way the HD market continues to "strive" or at least compete, with the wii software market.

by bailing, you must mean creating multiplats.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network

You know, it's not just that the games are $60. Their prices are dropping slower too, and GH this gen is $30 compared to $20 gen. I used to get so many games at $20 and lower when they were somewhat aged, but this gen I've paid $30 for everything except resistance.

I mean, look at Uncharted. At least in the U.S., it's still $60, and it's been out for a year. I was waiting for Uncharted to become a greatest hits before picking it up but when I realized that wasn't gonna happen anytime soon in the US I just gave in.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

darthdevidem01 said:
@pristine

exactly

I came from a PS1 household who got an N64 late in the gen

the differencw was horrible

no Gran Turismo, FF n so on....

Wow for me it was the other way around.  Boring sim racers over Mario Kart.  Weird RPG's over Zelda.  Just wouldn't fly for me.  N64 is still my favorite console because of all the greatness that came off of it.  Guess differences in opinions are just that great.

The reason why PS2 was loved last gen is because it was the runaway winner and all the devs expected it to be the runaway winner. Further it had an audience that was broad enough to make a game in any genre very profitable.

Zucas said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@pristine

exactly

I came from a PS1 household who got an N64 late in the gen

the differencw was horrible

no Gran Turismo, FF n so on....

Wow for me it was the other way around.  Boring sim racers over Mario Kart.  Weird RPG's over Zelda.  Just wouldn't fly for me.  N64 is still my favorite console because of all the greatness that came off of it.  Guess differences in opinions are just that great.

Damn, I was worried I was going to go through the whole thread without a post like this. I wuv u.

Seriously... I didn't expect opinions to be so differing on here as well. (Someone said) "worst console that never failed"? Wow... N64 is by far my favorite console of all time, and it houses almost every single one of my favorite games ever, including the best iteration of SSB...

ultraslick said:
Tyrannical said:

Although this isn't as bad since all of these big budgegt HD games have the luxury of releasing on two platforms simultaneously. It is the only way the HD market continues to "strive" or at least compete, with the wii software market.

by bailing, you must mean creating multiplats.

Really a combination of bail/multiplats

There's an increasingly longer list of assumed PS3 titles that ended up on the 360 without a PS3 version in sight, or with a long delay. Ace Combat 6, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean IV, The Last Remnant.

If the PS3 was doing well, SE wouldn't have bothered with a FFXIII 360 port.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire