By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So...being realistic...XBOX360 made Ps3 flop this year

Pristine20 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pristine20 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pristine20 said:
haxxiy said:
PS3 will never surpass X360 software-wise. Not even with a 10 million consoles sold lead, period.

You do realize that a few multiplat games have done better on ps3 right. If you mean software totals. A year headstart alone would almost guarantee that.

Actually, since alot of PS3 owners like the use the equal sales based on years. Well...when the 360 was at 16 M consoles, they still pushed more sales units. It has everything to do with active user base.

This is why I think the ps3 doesn't seem to sell as much software. Check out the OP of this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47472

Well the one game that sells amazing for Sony is the Gran Turismo series. I believe that game alone carries the racing car genre on its back. I agree with most of what you said though. The JRPG's have been split between the 360 and the PS3 owners, so the 360 owners have no reason to buy a PS3 unless they want Versus and WKC. I was also saying that I would dare say that 1/3 of PS3 owners only bought it because the Blu Ray was cheap.

I don't know anyone who bought the ps3 just for blu-ray but my circle of friends are also gamers so I wouldn't know. As for GT, it's pretty much the last man standing but it really doesn't have any competition. It's almost like the windows of racing simulators.

The majority of Blu Ray DVD's that have been purchased have been purchased by people who had PS3's which outsold stand alone Blu Ray players. As you remember the PS3's existence was to save Blu Rays which were not needed just like HD DVD. The 360's highest selling gamd sold at half as many units as the consoles sold itself (When it was at 16 M). By the end of the year it might sell 10 M (who knows?). Sony cannot lay claim to this, where as their highest selling game sells 1/4 of it's installed base.

Around the Network

"They have made significant inroads in Japan because of the jrpgs; however, once FFXIII comes out in Japan, most studios will shift there jrpg development plans to the PS3 which will leave the 360 without new games in the genre that almost allowed them to gain a foothold there. And the success of GTA IV PS3 over that of GTA IV 360 shows that Japanese gamers still prefer their Western games on Japanese consoles."

Why would any developer switch developing for a console strictly on the bases of how well an opponents game does? Seriously do you have a crystal ball? It is much easier to develop games on the 360 and a lot of these jrpgs are done on the cheap so I don't see alot of them switching over "just because".

"Yes. but what game is going to be coming to the 360 next December? After Gears 2, Microsoft is going to be trimming down 360 development and beginning to work on their next machine which I predict will be announced at GDC in March 2009."

Microsoft keeps their gaming lineups pretty close to their chest. So I really don't know. But so far they have had a better lineup each Christmas (IMO) and I don't see why next year will be any different. Saying the PS3 will have a better Lineup next Christmas just because you want it to does not make it so.

Again, I am not bashing the system or you for that matter. I just simply think it is not performing like it should have.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

StarcraftManiac said:
Fei-Hung said:
The gap is not getting bigger, in fact it was getting smaller until MS dropped their price. PS3 is still too pricy in a world where recession has hit many homes and this has made the 360 more accessible to gamers. Neither console is going anywhere fast. 360 was selling better, then the ps3 was selling better and now the 360 is selling better - both are selling well.

games -
1) well the larger the install base, the more they will sell.
2) LBP is a Niche game unlike Gears and Halo
3) Unlike Resistance; Halo and Fable have a huge fan base from the previous gen.
4) Resistance may have been good when it came out, but not many casual gamers were happy since the graphics were naff compared to Gears. So now they doubt the new r2 will be worth buying.
5) Sony hyped a lot of games (heavenly sword, haze, lair to name a few), but reviews as well as some of the hype. So now many gamers doubt if Sony games are really what they are hyped to be. Unlike the 360, most games apart from too human did live up to the hype.
6) Sony marketing has been shite compared to 360 marketing.

Where you make a mistake is thinking they have won the war. many people do not realise how well the PS3 is selling with its current price compared to the 360 who should be killing the PS3 with the price differential. The question remains, what will happen when and if the PS3 drops by another $100's and becomes more affordable?

Sony have also failed to release any games that have a big fan base. Games such as; GT, Jak and Daxter, Dance mat games, a new PS3 Wipeout, GoW3, Onimusha and twisted metal.

Those games that could have made a difference; GTA, Devil May Cry, FF, tekken and maybe some more have now gone multi platform. meaning, if you are a gamer who can't afford a PS3, you need not worry, a cheaper console is out there who can play the same game!
1) Yes.2) How is LBP niche...?! It's a goddamn platformer, how is that 'niche'! Platforming games sell like hotcakes if done well! And LBP is done well! And the game was hyped to death! People claimed it would sell to the heavens... Ok, not that but do well! You can't talk your way outta this by saying it's niche now because it didn't sell as well as what you guys though it would.3) Why don't you compare Resistance 2 to Gears 2?! Seems more fair... Because Halo and Fable are from another gen and Gears isn't and it's comparable! So Resistance isn't doing as well as it could! Fact!4) That's just BS! Look at the trailers!5) 6) How so? I've seen loads of ad's for the PS3...You know, if Sony lowers the price to 299 or 249... X360 is done with! But what your saying is just BS!

Mario isn't a niche platformer. LBP is a niche platformer.

I said it was a prediction. But it is based on following past trends. Microsoft released Halo 2 in November 2004, then after a successful run, they released the 360 in November 2009, and they used their most popular title as a flagship title to do so. They will want to do the same thing with the next xbox with Gears 3 being its standout title. So, it really comes down until how long they want to wait until they debut Gears 3. They waited 3 years between Halo 2 and Halo 3, so they could wait as long as 2011 to release a new console along with Gears 3. But that might be too long for Epic to wait. They might want to get the next game out sooner than 3 years from now, so since there has been only two years between Gears I and 2, then 2010 could also be the year of the release of the next XBOX.

Now, if MS wants to get a little head start on the competition which was a boon to them this gen and if they want to try to develop another franchise in addition to Halo and Gears, then might push harder to have their next console ready in November of 2009, and this would follow the precedent set by the four year interval between the 360 and the original XBOX.

Either way, I think there will be concrete information released by MS at the next GDC (which seems to be the conference where Microsoft likes to make their major announcements), Gears of War 3 will be the game they use to sell their next console, and the two will release fairly close together.

There have been many little pieces of information released this year that makes it look as if Microsoft has been considering different facets of the development of their new console. Such as leaked rumours about what kind of storage medium it was going to support, etc.

I found several links that said Microsoft was working on plans for the next xbox as early as January 2008, so even though I would think a 2009 release would be too early, if they were working on it even conceptually that long ago then it could be next year.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165235
http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffwelike/2008/08/25/gearbox-working-on-halo-4-for-next-xbox/
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/9704/139/

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

well if by flop you mean outselling 360 by 1.3 million in 08 then yes ;).

Around the Network
Paul_Warren said:
I said it was a prediction. But it is based on following past trends. Microsoft released Halo 2 in November 2004, then after a successful run, they released the 360 in November 2009, and they used their most popular title as a flagship title to do so. They will want to do the same thing with the next xbox with Gears 3 being its standout title. So, it really comes down until how long they want to wait until they debut Gears 3. They waited 3 years between Halo 2 and Halo 3, so they could wait as long as 2011 to release a new console along with Gears 3. But that might be too long for Epic to wait. They might want to get the next game out sooner than 3 years from now, so since there has been only two years between Gears I and 2, then 2010 could also be the year of the release of the next XBOX.

Now, if MS wants to get a little head start on the competition which was a boon to them this gen and if they want to try to develop another franchise in addition to Halo and Gears, then might push harder to have their next console ready in November of 2009, and this would follow the precedent set by the four year interval between the 360 and the original XBOX.

Either way, I think there will be concrete information released by MS at the next GDC (which seems to be the conference where Microsoft likes to make their major announcements), Gears of War 3 will be the game they use to sell their next console, and the two will release fairly close together.

There have been many little pieces of information released this year that makes it look as if Microsoft has been considering different facets of the development of their new console. Such as leaked rumours about what kind of storage medium it was going to support, etc.

I found several links that said Microsoft was working on plans for the next xbox as early as January 2008, so even though I would think a 2009 release would be too early, if they were working on it even conceptually that long ago then it could be next year.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165235
http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffwelike/2008/08/25/gearbox-working-on-halo-4-for-next-xbox/
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/9704/139/

I see. However, MS has already taken the steps to make sure the 360 does not have only a four year lifespan like the Xbox. They are on their way to accomplishing their goal competitive-wise, which is outsell the PS3 (not a guarantee come two years but they are leading now nevertheless).

I also have an interview from Electronic Gaming Monthly in issue #200 with Peter Moore. He mentioned that console creators are constantly working on new ways to improve technology. He then stated that they would probably come back in a year to start again. This was said in late 2005 so I suppose they could have been working on the next console since late '06/early '07. That doesn't mean they will release it anytime soon. Sony announced the Cell in 2001 but released the PS3 5 years later. Besides, I don't think MS wants to rush this console out the door, we've seen what hardware problems may pop up (MS started on it in early 2003, around 2.5 years before releasing it. I'm guessing they'll give the devs a little longer to make it this time around).

They may give some details about it, but they will not release their next console any earlier than late 2010. And I'm guessing you meant to say they released the 360 in November 2005, not 2009. Damn typos...

SpartanFX said:
well if by flop you mean outselling 360 by 1.3 million in 08 then yes ;).

It can beat the 360 in sales for the year, but they are still down. The end of 4th quarter will make or break 2008 in all reality. The total sales and gap are an issue. It's also an issue of the total sales of the games that counts this year.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pristine20 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pristine20 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pristine20 said:
haxxiy said:
PS3 will never surpass X360 software-wise. Not even with a 10 million consoles sold lead, period.

You do realize that a few multiplat games have done better on ps3 right. If you mean software totals. A year headstart alone would almost guarantee that.

Actually, since alot of PS3 owners like the use the equal sales based on years. Well...when the 360 was at 16 M consoles, they still pushed more sales units. It has everything to do with active user base.

This is why I think the ps3 doesn't seem to sell as much software. Check out the OP of this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47472

Well the one game that sells amazing for Sony is the Gran Turismo series. I believe that game alone carries the racing car genre on its back. I agree with most of what you said though. The JRPG's have been split between the 360 and the PS3 owners, so the 360 owners have no reason to buy a PS3 unless they want Versus and WKC. I was also saying that I would dare say that 1/3 of PS3 owners only bought it because the Blu Ray was cheap.

I don't know anyone who bought the ps3 just for blu-ray but my circle of friends are also gamers so I wouldn't know. As for GT, it's pretty much the last man standing but it really doesn't have any competition. It's almost like the windows of racing simulators.

The majority of Blu Ray DVD's that have been purchased have been purchased by people who had PS3's which outsold stand alone Blu Ray players. As you remember the PS3's existence was to save Blu Rays which were not needed just like HD DVD. The 360's highest selling gamd sold at half as many units as the consoles sold itself (When it was at 16 M). By the end of the year it might sell 10 M (who knows?). Sony cannot lay claim to this, where as their highest selling game sells 1/4 of it's installed base.

Blu-ray is a nice add-on for some people. For the ones I know who have blu-ray movies and ps3's, the way it works is this: they bought the ps3 to play games but since it can play HD movies as well, why watch DVD when you have your whole HD set up ready to go and can afford $5 extra? But I still do't think the group who bought the ps3 just to watch movies are a relevant constituency.

In a way, it's actually good for sony that they did save the blu-ray and now blu-ray players are picking up the slack.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Mario isn't a niche platformer. LBP is a niche platformer.

Bull.  If that were the case Sony wouldn't have marketed the heck out of it.

Afterman said:

We have a big title for the PS3...Resistance 2...everyone is waiting for it (almost)...big install base...and only sells 300.000.

1. Thats only in America where the install base of PS3 is 6.33 Million, not the entire 16.71 Million. So about 1 in 20 people American PS3 owners bought it week 1. Thats not toooo bad.

2. It releases in Europe end of Novmeber which should be 400,000 (my estimate) sales with an 8 million userbase.

3. So if my estimate is anywhere near what actually happens, 700,000 would be huge for 1 week. A game doesn't have to sell 1 million to be a success first week.