By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Resistance 2 sells 304K in NA week 1 --- Good or Bad??

@Zen:

that's very good to hear. I can't wait to pick the game up myself. I couldn't decide between Fallout or Fable, but now I think the choice is very clear.

Around the Network
Tremble said:
Because the community is different. For instance, I don't think that GoW would be so huge if it was released only on ps3. Contrario, TLR and IU would have sold more if it was released only on ps3... The point is that we always say that there is two camps: the HD one, and the wii one, but in fact, HD camp is split into two different way of thinking.

So, is Sony making a mistake developing KZ2 at such a high, high cost?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

No, of course, not. But don't expect KZ2 sales to be huge. It will sell very well, but won't be like halo or GoW. But they need that type of game to "impress" american players and maybe to "force" 360's players to get a ps3.

Its all CoD4's fault, i still have on average 5 people a day play that on my friends list. And anybody who has R2 should not be surprised by the weeks first numbers, we can clearly see how many people are online and its not a very high amount.

DMeisterJ said:
Goddbless said:
DMeisterJ said:
SlipperyMooseCakes said:
*Waits for DJM to twist it to make it look positive*

I joke.

Anyway it isn't a flop, that's for sure. I thought the game would sell 500k in NA though. It had a couple days start on Gears and didn't get half the sales of it in NA which I was expecting it would.

Can you stop fucking bringing my name up plz?

kthxby.

OT:

If the first one sold 1.27 million lifetime in 2 years, reaching 300k in one week seems pretty good.

Are you more mad because

1. He brought up your name?
  2. He mispelled your name?
  3. He was right in his prediction of what you would do?

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Wot?

wot?= I got pwnd

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

its not to bad, but it did laucnh in a difficult week, overall if u combine na and eu 1st week sales it would have done quite good, no doubt it will keep selling, i expect this to sell more than restsance 1 lifetime.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

It sold fine but slightly below my expectation and what I think the install base could support.

I think many assume US PS3 owners are as shooter skewed as 360 and I personally doubt this is the case. On these numbers and figuring decent Others sales then over time I think RFOM2 will do fine.

I tend to view Insomniac games as an ongoing total as their business model seems to be based around getting a game out each year which means that while each game may sell less than leading titles they don't have the big gap between sales of other companies who take 2/3 years between releases.

So LTD for Insomniac so far (with Booty sales being a wild card due to PSN) they've sold around 5M or so units between RFOM and R&C with likely another 2 to 3M from RFOM2 when all is said and done (as from available data PS3 titles tend to be a little less front loaded and have reasonable legs, as R&C, RFOM and Uncharted showed).

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

For a front running game those sales are average. It's not bad and it's not great either.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Tremble said:
Yeah but you cannot compare GoW2 with R2 in terms of sales. they're not playing in the same league. Only a few games can compete with it, I'm thinking about final fantasy, gran turismo and GTA. But talking about the price again, it really is a barrier. When friends come home playing ps3, I ask them if they plan to get one soon and the answer is the same: "I want one, but 400€ is way to expensive, I'm waiting for a 100-150€ price drop".

A similar price drop will have more effect than all the resistance, killzone little big planet or whatever.

You're right, talking about hardware, Sony price dropping hardware would increase userbase and hardware sales.

....however, comparing software between the PS3 and 360 is nearly a fair comparison.

These games were supposed to be their big holiday games, for each console. Each game hyped to hell, each game part 2 of a successful franchise.

I don't understand why you wouldn't compare these games, saleswise. They are, for all intents and purposes, the direct competitors for largest exclusive, hyped, console games this holiday season, 360 vs PS3. I can't really see an advantage Gears 2 had, besides review scores and userbase, both of which aren't huge differences, or at least aren't huge enough to account for the sales gap.

Why did Gears 2 dominate?

Of course you can compare them, but I think you're ignorning demographics a little.  360 has roughly 1 third larger install base than PS3, however I believe 360 owners vs PS3 owners buy/play shooters to a far higher degree (i.e. the attach rate of a shooter on 360 I believe is much higher than the attach rate for a shooter on PS3).  Therefore I would expect a shooter to sell far less on PS3 (even a premier one) vs 360 due to install base plus a smaller percentage of that install base having any desire to buy the game at all.

So around 10% of 360 install base bought Gears Week one while around 3.5% of PS3 install base bought RFOM2.  I was expecting around 5% of PS3 install base to buy so its a little low for me but I wasn't expecting RFOM2 to see the same attach rate despite being a similar game due to owner demographics.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Tremble said:
Yeah but you cannot compare GoW2 with R2 in terms of sales. they're not playing in the same league. Only a few games can compete with it, I'm thinking about final fantasy, gran turismo and GTA. But talking about the price again, it really is a barrier. When friends come home playing ps3, I ask them if they plan to get one soon and the answer is the same: "I want one, but 400€ is way to expensive, I'm waiting for a 100-150€ price drop".

A similar price drop will have more effect than all the resistance, killzone little big planet or whatever.

You're right, talking about hardware, Sony price dropping hardware would increase userbase and hardware sales.

....however, comparing software between the PS3 and 360 is nearly a fair comparison.

These games were supposed to be their big holiday games, for each console. Each game hyped to hell, each game part 2 of a successful franchise.

I don't understand why you wouldn't compare these games, saleswise. They are, for all intents and purposes, the direct competitors for largest exclusive, hyped, console games this holiday season, 360 vs PS3. I can't really see an advantage Gears 2 had, besides review scores and userbase, both of which aren't huge differences, or at least aren't huge enough to account for the sales gap.

Why did Gears 2 dominate?

Of course you can compare them, but I think you're ignorning demographics a little.  360 has roughly 1 third larger install base than PS3, however I believe 360 owners vs PS3 owners buy/play shooters to a far higher degree (i.e. the attach rate of a shooter on 360 I believe is much higher than the attach rate for a shooter on PS3).  Therefore I would expect a shooter to sell far less on PS3 (even a premier one) vs 360 due to install base plus a smaller percentage of that install base having any desire to buy the game at all.

So around 10% of 360 install base bought Gears Week one while around 3.5% of PS3 install base bought RFOM2.  I was expecting around 5% of PS3 install base to buy so its a little low for me but I wasn't expecting RFOM2 to see the same attach rate despite being a similar game due to owner demographics.

So, what game genre does the PS3 demographic go crazy for, if not shooters?

I can't think of one game that I believe would flourish on the PS3 in America, that I believe would sell worse on the Xbox 360. :P

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.