By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Maguire claims competitors are waning, best is to come from PS3

reask said:

" rather than a patch-patch mentality."

1.10, 1.11, 1.30, 1.31, 1.32, 1.50, 1.51, 1.54, 1.60, 1.70, 1.80, 1.81, 1.82, 1.90, 1.92, 1.93, 1.94, 2.00, 2.01, 2.10, 2.17, 2.20, 2.30, 2.35, 2.36, 2.40, 2.41, 2.42, 2.43, 2.50, 2.51, 2.52.

So, pardon?!?!?!?!

And yes, some of those add features which is good, but when your latest release includes "The playback quality of some PlayStation 3 format software has been improved." you cannot tell me that the thing works properly.

Please Sony, just stop chatting pish. If there's one thing they shoulda learnt this generation it's to be a bit more humble.

Around the Network
Grooski said:

To a certain extent he is right. He is not talking about sales, but the PS3/X360/Wii hardware package.

MS have now played their full hand with the X360. The price cuts are the last it will get in its mainstream life, the feature set will not have any major additions past the NXE update and games will tend to maintain multiplatform status with a few new exclusives sprinkled in. In other words, the platform has just peaked. Basically its a move to grind Sony out of the marketplace.

The Wii has limited lifespan in its present state. For a "nextgen console" who launched in 2006/2007 to be talking about an update in 2010/2011 means that even Nintendo recognise this. This is not a bad thing, I think most people would realise that the longevity of the Wii will be lower than the other HD consoles. The console also does not have a strong core games offering announced for next year. Yet.

Sony have their mainstream price cuts to come next year, have hinted at new feature sets such as music store and new controller schemes, as well as the largest 1st/2nd party developer group in the market. Large 3rd party development firms have hinted they are leading on the PS3 - this will help the multiplatform porting weaknesses that the console gets. I think in terms of improving position, Sony has the most room to move.

Actually, Sony are in a remarkable position at the moment. I, and all but the most diehard fans, had written the PS3 off this time last year - thought it was finished. The fact that they have picked themselves up off the canvas and landed a few punches this year is testament to that company. I personally agree in this respect, it has been the year of the PS3 - the year they got on their feet and stayed competitive.

I think he may be right. Whether its a ever going to be a winning position, who knows?

You haven't really been here long, so let me fill ya' in. The bolded part has no way of being true. You are looking at the longetivity of the system solely based from a graphical standpoint. Consumers have shown that they don't care about graphics as much as we think they do, given proof by the threads we see asking if the PS360 combined can make it to 50m before the Wi does alone. The Wii is one of the fastest selling consoles in history; how could it be "replaced" after only 4 years? As for the Wii not having games for 2009 announced yet............ There are about 20 games I could tell you right now to deem that statement as false, but whatever.

The PS3 has "hinted" at having things we don't know much about, and I doubt whatever those things may be can spur sales, that includes a new controller or a music store.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Lolcislaw said:
Sony PR is dellusional this generation i dont think those boys have contact with reality someties.

PR folks never are in touch with reality, thats' how they get the job. That said; this one deserves some sort of asshat medal for being incredibly dumb. YoY increases are high allround and no one's on their way down yet.

for all the doubters on Sony's 10yr Plan!

What in holy hell makes you think that they will not reach this goal? Think about what they have done with the PS3 in the first place. They made it as future proof as they possibly could. The PS3 boasts BluRay, Cell Technology, etc. Pretty advanced shit by any means. The 360 and Wii do not come close to matching it in hardware.

Sony has implemented these things so when the standard of what people are expecting in games rises again their system will be well prepared, at least on a PS2-XBOX level.

There is also simply too much riding on the success of the PS3 for Sony to break their own plan. Think about it. When formulating the inclusiongs of your next console you upgrade not downgrade! What could the PS4 possibly have over the PS3? Will it not contain bluray as the PS3 did? That would be silly as the PS3 is the savior of bluray. Sony will implement BR into everything possible. Will it use cell tech? Most likely, another home grown production of Sony and they have alot riding on it as well. Will it have the already existing userbase?NO, PS3 will have accumilated a hefty one by then though, while if they start over with the PS4 they will have to gain them all over again. Will it have better graphics card, ram? yea, but is it really need?

So far the PS4 would have to have bluray(faster drive), cell(better in some way), better graphics card, better ram, with no userbase. If the PS3 costs about 500 now with all these features that means that the PS4 will be somewhere around the same price. So you people are expecting a PS4 at $600 price tag to do better then the PS3 who is ALREADY ahead of it's time at about $400. All that would do is completely recreate all the big issues Sony had with the PS3 ALL OVER again. Why, when it would be much smarter is to stick with PS3 and work on those issues and fullfill the 10yr life cycle as planned so all of the big issues(price mostly) can be eradicated.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

reask said:

GOT THIS ON GAMES BIZ.

Maguire: "Competing formats are on their way down"

Sony UKs managing director Ray Maguire has admitted that the company takes it time bringing products to market - but he argued that the PlayStation 3 is now hitting its stride as competing formats could be seen as past their peak.

"Yes, we might take a bit longer sometimes to bring a product to market, but when we do, we bring you the most powerful gaming platform ever to hit - and it will be something that will around for a very long time," said Maguire, speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz.

"It's nowhere near even halfway through its lifecycle, and I could argue that some other competing formats are on their way down right now," he added.

Maguire said it's difficult fulfilling expectations and demands of consumers who want results immediately, joking that, "what we haven't worked out how to do yet is have a child in less than nine months."

On the forthcoming release of online social networking service Home, Maguire said it's crucial the product is finished on day one, rather than released to the public and patched at a later date.

"We have to make sure that things are born at the right time, that the infrastructures are right and are tested, and that they actually work. It's one of the things that PlayStation has been known for - a plug-and-play mentality, rather than a patch-patch mentality."

"Getting it right is more important than getting it out quick, and I think it's very difficult to make that decision, to hold something up, but again I think it was the right decision to make sure that we were defining along the line where it is that we're trying to go to."

The full interview with Ray Maguire will be published on GamesIndustry.biz tomorrow.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/maguire-competing-formats-are-on-their-way-down

ehmm Firmware Updates? I mean there were hubdreds of them.

ehmm Installations? The PS3 is the only console which does not deliver plug n play, because u have to install games.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

@Dominicator: The thing here is, that what else Sony can do? Whether we like their stupidities, all they can do is try to give positive impression (in context) about the future. They aren't going to "fuck off for not getting the PS3" (although the PR have hinted to this around 2 years ago).
So i don't think the comment was to shareholders, atleast as much it was for the public, since PS3 is practically in a price deadlock due to BD and 360 had a pricut, which Sony can't call. So they want to assure the public that 360 (and Wii) isn't the right purchase.

@Grooski: Apparently you aren't getting why Wii is specswise more "futureproof" than PS360 (since you apparenty hinted to this). Currently Wiis specs are outdated and it will remain this way. When the next gen arrives, it can't hit Wii for its specs, but it will outdate PS3 and 360, which will both lose their "high performance" -value. Of course, the next gen will mimic Wii to an extent, but Wii will likely have a price and game advantage and late adopters most likely will get a console with cheap price, loads of cheap games and large aftermarket. And Nintendo will have the brand advantage, unless someone can disrupt Nintendo.

Yes, Sony is in remarkable position at the moment, which reminds me about the "old wisdom" of finnish sports commentators: (10 000 meters run starts) "Martti was left last at the start and is getting into remarkable striking position". (after 5000 meters) "Martti is still last and his position is only getting better as the race advances". (The race finishes) "Martti was left two rounds behind in the last place, but the run was strategically remarkable for him keeping in striking distance through the whole race".

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

He can say what he wants. I am still waiting for a good game on the PS3.

Grooski said:

To a certain extent he is right. He is not talking about sales, but the PS3/X360/Wii hardware package.

MS have now played their full hand with the X360. The price cuts are the last it will get in its mainstream life, the feature set will not have any major additions past the NXE update and games will tend to maintain multiplatform status with a few new exclusives sprinkled in. In other words, the platform has just peaked. Basically its a move to grind Sony out of the marketplace.

The Wii has limited lifespan in its present state. For a "nextgen console" who launched in 2006/2007 to be talking about an update in 2010/2011 means that even Nintendo recognise this. This is not a bad thing, I think most people would realise that the longevity of the Wii will be lower than the other HD consoles. The console also does not have a strong core games offering announced for next year. Yet.

Sony have their mainstream price cuts to come next year, have hinted at new feature sets such as music store and new controller schemes, as well as the largest 1st/2nd party developer group in the market. Large 3rd party development firms have hinted they are leading on the PS3 - this will help the multiplatform porting weaknesses that the console gets. I think in terms of improving position, Sony has the most room to move.

Actually, Sony are in a remarkable position at the moment. I, and all but the most diehard fans, had written the PS3 off this time last year - thought it was finished. The fact that they have picked themselves up off the canvas and landed a few punches this year is testament to that company. I personally agree in this respect, it has been the year of the PS3 - the year they got on their feet and stayed competitive.

I think he may be right. Whether its a ever going to be a winning position, who knows?

You should apply for a job as an exec at Sony.  You would fit right in.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

forevercloud3000 said:
for all the doubters on Sony's 10yr Plan!

What in holy hell makes you think that they will not reach this goal? Think about what they have done with the PS3 in the first place. They made it as future proof as they possibly could. The PS3 boasts BluRay, Cell Technology, etc. Pretty advanced shit by any means. The 360 and Wii do not come close to matching it in hardware.

Sony has implemented these things so when the standard of what people are expecting in games rises again their system will be well prepared, at least on a PS2-XBOX level.

There is also simply too much riding on the success of the PS3 for Sony to break their own plan. Think about it. When formulating the inclusiongs of your next console you upgrade not downgrade! What could the PS4 possibly have over the PS3? Will it not contain bluray as the PS3 did? That would be silly as the PS3 is the savior of bluray. Sony will implement BR into everything possible. Will it use cell tech? Most likely, another home grown production of Sony and they have alot riding on it as well. Will it have the already existing userbase?NO, PS3 will have accumilated a hefty one by then though, while if they start over with the PS4 they will have to gain them all over again. Will it have better graphics card, ram? yea, but is it really need?

So far the PS4 would have to have bluray(faster drive), cell(better in some way), better graphics card, better ram, with no userbase. If the PS3 costs about 500 now with all these features that means that the PS4 will be somewhere around the same price. So you people are expecting a PS4 at $600 price tag to do better then the PS3 who is ALREADY ahead of it's time at about $400. All that would do is completely recreate all the big issues Sony had with the PS3 ALL OVER again. Why, when it would be much smarter is to stick with PS3 and work on those issues and fullfill the 10yr life cycle as planned so all of the big issues(price mostly) can be eradicated.

Quoted for truth

DirtyP2002 said:
reask said:

GOT THIS ON GAMES BIZ.

Maguire: "Competing formats are on their way down"

Sony UKs managing director Ray Maguire has admitted that the company takes it time bringing products to market - but he argued that the PlayStation 3 is now hitting its stride as competing formats could be seen as past their peak.

"Yes, we might take a bit longer sometimes to bring a product to market, but when we do, we bring you the most powerful gaming platform ever to hit - and it will be something that will around for a very long time," said Maguire, speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz.

"It's nowhere near even halfway through its lifecycle, and I could argue that some other competing formats are on their way down right now," he added.

Maguire said it's difficult fulfilling expectations and demands of consumers who want results immediately, joking that, "what we haven't worked out how to do yet is have a child in less than nine months."

On the forthcoming release of online social networking service Home, Maguire said it's crucial the product is finished on day one, rather than released to the public and patched at a later date.

"We have to make sure that things are born at the right time, that the infrastructures are right and are tested, and that they actually work. It's one of the things that PlayStation has been known for - a plug-and-play mentality, rather than a patch-patch mentality."

"Getting it right is more important than getting it out quick, and I think it's very difficult to make that decision, to hold something up, but again I think it was the right decision to make sure that we were defining along the line where it is that we're trying to go to."

The full interview with Ray Maguire will be published on GamesIndustry.biz tomorrow.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/maguire-competing-formats-are-on-their-way-down

ehmm Firmware Updates? I mean there were hubdreds of them.

ehmm Installations? The PS3 is the only console which does not deliver plug n play, because u have to install games.

Hit the nail on the head!This doesn't mean the PS3's a bad system, but those are definitely not the attributes it is known for! xD

The BuShA owns all!