By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Play on Wii" Lamentations

Garcian Smith said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Garcian Smith said:
Need I point out that used copies of Pikmin and Pikmin 2 are going for about $30 and $50, respectively?

I'll gladly pay $30 new for each with improved controls and 480p widescreen.

Problem is, at once Play on Wii comes out, they won't cost 30 and 50. They'll drop in price.

Not necessarily. Re-releases of games generally don't drop the prices of the original versions. See: Castlevania SotN on the 360, PS3, and PSP; Super Mario RPG and Secret of Mana on the Virtual Console.

Those are terrible examples. With the Play on Wii titles, you're talking about a physical game being released on the latest console by the same company. People who haven't gotten the game before are more likely to get the Wii version, thus decreasing demand for the old version and the people who already have the Gamecube version that also pick up the Wii version are just as likely to sell the Gamecube version, thus increasing supply. when supply goes up and demand goes down, the price is going to drop.

The only time this isn't the case is when you are talking about collectors, which usually requires a New or Mint condition, which not that many of the used games are going to fall into, and when you are talking about games in which the newer version is a software only release, as there is still a higher perceived value attached to owning and possessing a physical copy of the game than merely owning the program for it.
This later case is what all the examples you've mentioned fall into, while the Play on Wii games are actual Wii game discs, not Wii Ware or Virtual Console titles.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

I am hoping that this will cause the value of Pikmin 2 to decrease.
I made a tragic mistake of trading away Pk2 (new-- bought for $4) for Star Fox Assault.
Now I would like the game ... but don't want to shell out 10x ($40) the original cost.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

There are going to have wii-makes of MP1 & 2?? I really can't see them doing it. Wii is simply lacking buttons to.

Edit: but, as expected (considering how bad my predictions use to be) its already confirmed Nintendo will. Wonder how they're going to do.

Wut?

What mystical abilities do you have in MP1&2 that don't show up in MP3 that would make it impossible to map to the Buttons, Points and Waggle on the Wii?

I found this on a site:

• Control Stick - Move/Turn               = (Nunchuk/Wiimote) analog does move& strafe, turn handled by IR pointer
  • L-trigger - Lock/Scan/Strafe           = (Nunchuk) Z button
  • R-trigger - Manual Aim                    = Not Needed, with IR pointer you're ALWAYS auto aiming
  • A-button - Shoot/Bomb/Charge      = (Wiimote) B or A button (I prefer the B trigger)
  • B-button - Jump/Boost Ball             = (Wiimote) A or B trigger (I prefer A button)
  • Y-button - Missiles/Power Bomb     = (Wiimote) Dpad down
  • X-button - Morph Ball                      = (Nunchuk) C button
  • Z-button - Map                               = (Wiimote) 2 button
  • D-pad - Visor Modes                       = (Wiimote) minus button with IR pointer for selection
  • C-stick - Switch Weapon Type        = (Wiimote) You don't really switch weapons that much in MP3, but this could be done either by mapping the different weapons to a different direction on teh Dpad, or simply by using the left and right dpad buttons to cycle through the list of weapons.

From what I can see, the control setup is entirely different in MP3 and far superior compared to MP2, in my opinion. That still leaves dpad up, plus button, 1 button, and nunchuck & wiimote waggle to do whatever you want.

Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

Visor - Weapon thing. They've put off weapon system in Wii for MP3, haven't they?

Around the Network

I would rather have had Nintendo make a new Mario Tennis than just add Wii controls to the GC version. =[

haxxiy said:
Visor - Weapon thing. They've put off weapon system in Wii for MP3, haven't they?

i changed my post to be a little more thorough. Like I said, the visor modes are accessed by pressing the minus button and using the IR pointer to select your preference. the only thing MP3 doesn't cover right off the bat is changing weapons, but you could still use the dpad left and right to just cycle through weapons, or you could shift the visor selection to use the + button and have the weapon selection use the same style as the visor selection when you press the minus button

I did a little more reading, from what I can see, MP2 only has 4 weapons, so it would be possible to use the up, left, and right dpad buttons to shift between all 4 weapons, basically you would have your default weapon, and then the 3 directions would switch you to one of your other options. From there, you would be able to press any of the other 2 direction to switch to them instead, OR you could press teh same direction that you already pressed in order to switch back to your default weapon.

It just takes a little imagination to do it, but it can be done.

KylieDog said:
A lot of GC games with Wii controls don't interest me.

Metroid Prime games, with MP3 controls though? Oh hell yes I would pay again for that, and I will.

That is a epic change, and thus worth it.

The Pikmin games should be pretty epic, too. IR pointer controls will make things SO much more fluid.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

What about (even if minor) graphical improvements? =/

Here's how Play on Wii will affect me and 3 others Wii owners I know.

For myself: My son had a GC but I never played on it, except to play Burnout with him. Wii controls have brought me back from PC only gaming to console gaming. Pikmin interests me, and I may well pick it up. I won't buy old GC games since then I have to be shackled to the Wii with our old gc controlers or try to find/buy a wavebird. Sooner buy a new Wii version of the game.

For my son: Grew up on Nintendo. Loves a lot of Nintendo franchises. Never owned Mario Tennis (or Golf) and will likely get them with Wii controls. If they port Starfox Assault (another he never owned) he'll definately pick that up too.

My friend: Never had a GC, got a Wii for the Wiimote. LOVED Metroid Prime 3 and will definately get 1 & 2 for Wii when they come out.

My girlfriend: Getting a Wii for her son. Will be very happy to buy cheap Nintendo titles for him (and will enjoy something like Mario Tennis herself) knowing that they are quality, fun, kid appropriate games at a great price. The fact that they were old for GC will be irrelevant to her or her son.

I think this is a fantastic idea because let's face it, 3rd parties have not stepped up to the plate, with a few notable exceptions. Wii owners are desperate for some AAA games and Most have never played these games before so they fill a void.

PLUS casual gamers are notoriously cheap (myself included) and not keen to spend $60 on a 6 hour game. They will spend $30 on GC ports of AAA titles though.