By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mirror's Edge is impressive.

Not far off from something like Assassin's Creed, would be my guess. More dependent upon what resolution and level of detail the player wants.

Saw screen shots rendered at 1280x720, and that level of smoothness is what I was expecting to see on the consoles.

Unless that demo wasn't based upon a final build, looks like it isn't.

Here's the thing with the PC version, and I don't need any fanciful predictions or crystal balls to see this coming: it will use SecuRom, and it will limit installs, just like Spore and Crysis Warhead.

Currently I have a completely useless copy of Crysis Warhead sitting on my PC because swapping motherboards managed to convince SecuRom that I have the game installed on three, five, or whatever arbitrary limit was decided, systems. It has been installed twice.

So... lesson learned would be: if you plan on doing any system re-installs, or major hardware component upgrades, DON'T BOTHER BUYING ANY EA PUBLISHED SOFTWARE FOR PC.

I'd BitTorrent a cracked copy of the game, but frankly; why the hell should I have to steal something I ALREADY PAID FOR?

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
Not far off from something like Assassin's Creed, would be my guess. More dependent upon what resolution and level of detail the player wants.

Saw screen shots rendered at 1280x720, and that level of smoothness is what I was expecting to see on the consoles.

Unless that demo wasn't based upon a final build, looks like it isn't.

Here's the thing with the PC version, and I don't need any fanciful predictions or crystal balls to see this coming: it will use SecuRom, and it will limit installs, just like Spore and Crysis Warhead.

Currently I have a completely useless copy of Crysis Warhead sitting on my PC because swapping motherboards managed to convince SecuRom that I have the game installed on three, five, or whatever arbitrary limit was decided, systems. It has been installed twice.

So... lesson learned would be: if you plan on doing any system re-installs, or major hardware component upgrades, DON'T BOTHER BUYING ANY EA PUBLISHED SOFTWARE FOR PC.

I'd BitTorrent a cracked copy of the game, but frankly; why the hell should I have to steal something I ALREADY PAID FOR?

We as gamers are quick to point a finger at publshers but we can't forget that it is we the gamers who are at fault. What gives us the right to steal their products? And yet we bash them for protecting their assets and survivng as a company? Not saying that's what your doing. Just pointing this fact out. But it's true that it hurts PC gaming overall. But pc gamers did it to themselves.

PS3 Trophies

Solid_Raiden said:

We as gamers are quick to point a finger at publshers but we can't forget that it is we the gamers who are at fault. What gives us the right to steal their products? And yet we bash them for protecting their assets and survivng as a company? Not saying that's what your doing. Just pointing this fact out. But it's true that it hurts PC gaming overall. But pc gamers did it to themselves.

If he downloads a game he already purchased, then it's not pirating. It's just a backup copy. That's what I think he meant when he mentioned that he already paid for it. Downloading a second copy of Crysis: Warhead.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Legally, it's still piracy. If I bought fifty copies of a game or movie and then went back and stole a 51st copy, that would still be illegal.

Frankly, stealing a game that currently retails for about $30 is not even worth the effort IMO.

I'll make one call to customer service and if it takes longer than ten minutes, for future purchases, I'll either buy EA published games through Steam or on console, or I just won't bother buying them at all.

That's one of the big problems with PC gaming; no rental system beyond demos due to the infinite number of configurations and related compatibility problems, not that I ever rent games anyway. But with this limited install trend (I received 2 for Warhead), that is exactly what you are getting for your retail priced game.

I'm not at "fault" for anything. I've bought hundreds of new games over the years. If all gaming consumers were like me, the size of the industry would be larger by factors of ten.

About the closest thing I've done to stealing games, is buying used copies of out of print or hard to find games.

greenmedic88 said:
Legally, it's still piracy. If I bought fifty copies of a game or movie and then went back and stole a 51st copy, that would still be illegal.

Frankly, stealing a game that currently retails for about $30 is not even worth the effort IMO.

I'll make one call to customer service and if it takes longer than ten minutes, for future purchases, I'll either buy EA published games through Steam or on console, or I just won't bother buying them at all.

That's one of the big problems with PC gaming; no rental system beyond demos due to the infinite number of configurations and related compatibility problems, not that I ever rent games anyway. But with this limited install trend (I received 2 for Warhead), that is exactly what you are getting for your retail priced game.

I'm not at "fault" for anything. I've bought hundreds of new games over the years. If all gaming consumers were like me, the size of the industry would be larger by factors of ten.

About the closest thing I've done to stealing games, is buying used copies of out of print or hard to find games.

Yeah man, I couldn't live with my gamefly account. Had Dead Space for a month, but I don't really care about getting my money's worth out of it, it's just really nice to have games sent to my house, at my whim, lol.

Mirror's Edge, for instance. I'll be renting that.

BTW, Dead Space 10/10 must play. It's like if RE4 met Bioshock and they had a child in space.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

The demo was good BUT it just didnt catch my intrest. I wanted something UBER SPEEDY SONIC STYLE lol but it was more like some Emo girl jumping and catching stuff. The controlls were.. okay but a bit boring, and the FP view wasnt as wauw as i thought. I was expecting like SHIT IM FALLING but now i get like >.<....

My rating = 7/10

Is Dah Aldro Buying It ? = NO!!!!

What IS Dah Aldro Buying ? = RESISTANCE 2, MOTORSTORM 2, LBP, KILLZONE 2, GoD OF WAR 3, M.A.G , GRAN TURISMO 5, DUALSHOCK CONTROLLAH + USB PS3 KEYBOARD.

With that said i rest my case XD <3

Btw.. I saw Xbox didnt get mirrors edge demo friday while we got it thursday :/

Same thing when Star wars force unleashed demo was realeased. Gold users and PSN got same time, but Silver users had to wait 1 week. I find the lack off Xbox live disturbing XD. <3 PSN!

ZenfoldorVGI said:
greenmedic88 said:

Yeah man, I couldn't live with my gamefly account. Had Dead Space for a month, but I don't really care about getting my money's worth out of it, it's just really nice to have games sent to my house, at my whim, lol.

Mirror's Edge, for instance. I'll be renting that.

BTW, Dead Space 10/10 must play. It's like if RE4 met Bioshock and they had a child in space.

You know, that's exactly the vibe I was getting from Dead Space. It seemed a LOT like Bioshock in terms of being a heavily story based FPS game with very noire stylistic art direction.

I was following the digital comics they were publishing on PSN, but I lost interest in the back story by the third episode. Finally watched the last three episodes and was ready to buy the game along with Far Cry and Fallout when it dawned on me that there were PC versions of all three games to consider, which I would have bought if I hadn't just dismantled my PC in prepping for the new mobo.

Then I saw the dreaded DRM specs and thought better of it. Dead Space is no different than Spore or Warhead. And though I'm not planning on doing hardware reconfigs every six months, I will be building another system with a core i7/x58 chipset anywhere between 6 and 12 months and it would be nice to be able to play all the PC games I've bought on it without thinking about "burning up" my installs. 

So, console, Steam, or none of the above unless this retail priced rental business is kicked in the head. It has effectively killed my willingness to spontaneously buy PC games at stores including Mirror's Edge.

Well done, EA. Well done.

i played the demo in my PS3 & man its awesome its have a new play style and great graphics .... but maybe i will get it next year ... too many games to get this year.

Will definitely pick this up at some point or rent it from Gamefly. Either way the demo was impressive, I just finished it now.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Felt the need to post a second opinion on Mirror's Edge.

First thing I just rechecked was the big discrepancy between the initial May preview video and the E3 video in July.

May video: virtually identical to the output resolution of the demo.

July video: must have been a video capture of the PC version running at a higher resolution and/or 2-4x anti-aliasing as none of the stepping present in the May preview video was visible. It looks much smoother.

This is what I was fully expecting to see in the demo, rather than the May preview quality, which was my main disappointment with the demo.

So, sharp (and stepped) visuals, indicating a native render (not upscaled), but no or poor AA effects, resulting in the visible edge stepping, which is much more noticeable for a game that uses lots of clean, linear geometry (buildings, sky scrapers, hand rails, etc) in its environment models.

Second time around, also noticed the use of HDR lighting as well as the subtle use of selective focus to make the first person perspective more realistic.

Second: controls. They become much more tolerable once you've learned to adapt to them. Since they operate a little differently from either FPS shooters and third person action platformers, it takes a little time before they become more intuitive as they are somewhat loose.

So, assuming the demo is the final PS3, if I want the smoother, higher res visuals of the July preview, it means buying the PC version and dealing with any potential DRM problems or compatibility problems.

And yes, I'm now sold on the game, regardless of which version I end up buying.